Wiring Experts....Help Needed! - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator Lighting, Stereo and Electrical Questions on getting that killer audio system installed on your Gator? Check here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-03-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

I’m in the process of adding a few accessories such as LED brush guard lights, winch, horn, & illuminated rocker switches to my XUV 550 and need a little help to achieve my objectives.

First, how can I avoid having a ton of wires all running to the positive terminal of the battery to power the accessories and switches. I’m trying to avoid a “rat’s nest” on the battery.

Second, my headlight switch has 3 positions: Off, Brake Light On, & both Brake Light and Headlights On. I’d like all of my rocker switches to illuminate when I turn on my rear brake light (“Stealth Mode” lol) and also stay on if I flick to the next position of both the Brake Light and headlights on.

As if that’s not enough, I’d like both LED’s (upper and lower) in the rocker switch to illuminate at the same time (when Brake and/or headlights are on), regardless of weather or not that switch is in use.

The dash on my 550 is very plain and very dark at night. Some colorful light would be a welcomed sight and also assist in knowing which switch I’m looking for at that moment.

In summary, I’d like to avoid a “rat’s nest” of wires at the battery and I’d like all of my rocker switches to fully illuminate when either the brake and or head lights are on.

I’m definitely not an electrician. Are these goals possible? I’ve attached a pic of the style of rocker switch I’d like to install. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	62C1288E-2A9D-43A6-90F1-8F3D3BBB2655_1559610475835.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	11467  

Last edited by IrishRed; 06-03-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-04-2019, 01:12 AM

Garage
That switch is what's used on the 835/865 series with LED high/low headlamps. In general, JD has wiring harnesses that you plug in to achieve your electrical runs and designated fuse slots to use. Also, the tail lights have both regular and brake dual element configuration along with the turn signals. If you want to vary from what JD harnesses, instructions, etc. then you are largely on your own. Typically the lights are fused to the yellow wire side (only powered when the ignition switch is on). That prevents battery drain if you happen to walk away with lights on. The exception is the flashers powered by the unswitched (red) side. The flasher relay operates the emergency flashers together and turn signals. If you go with LED flashers, you must get the solid state motorcycle style relay as anything JD will not support LED flashers. If you use JD harnesses, you are not adding a bunch of stuff directly to the battery.

Getting the technical manual off eBay for $50 will go a long way in helping you out.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-04-2019, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

@ Seabee

Thank you, for your response. Rather than spend a few hundred dollars on a JD harness, I was hoping to utilize something like an accessory block I could mount somewhere under the hood or dash that has numerous posts to attach my accessories to for power. Obviously, it would have a power lead running to the battery, but just one sure beats many.

To be clear, I’m not utilizing flashers or turn signals. I’m not concerned about street legality. This Gator will never see pavement while I own it. I’m simply looking to keep the wiring for my accessories neat and have my switches fully light up when I turn on the rear light and/or headlights. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-05-2019, 12:08 AM

Garage
Great idea on adding an accessory block, also consider adding a buss bar as well

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #5 of 7 Old 06-05-2019, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradhill View Post
Great idea on adding an accessory block, also consider adding a buss bar as well
Yes! I think “bus bar” was actually the term I was looking for when I said accessory block.

Do you have any suggestions for a good one? I wonder if a heavy duty one could handle a winch. I was looking at a few different types. I’ve attached a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	545B5BD2-0B89-4363-879A-AD9A69BE67A0_1559734185247.png
Views:	9
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	11477   Click image for larger version

Name:	8742E90E-799E-4E9B-9C73-F6ADCF8EC7CD_1559738162470.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	11481  
Attached Images

post #6 of 7 Old 06-05-2019, 03:36 PM

Garage
Wiring Experts....Help Needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishRed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradhill View Post
Yes! I think “bus bar” was actually the term I was looking for when I said accessory block.

Do you have any suggestions for a good one? I wonder if a heavy duty one could handle a winch. I was looking at a few different types. I’ve attached a few pics.

My apologies I should have clarified my response regarding a bus bar

I would look for a fused accessory box similar to what is used in the marine industry.

My suggestion for a bus bar was meant as central point of grounding your accessories.

Hopefully this clarifies my statement?

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #7 of 7 Old 06-06-2019, 08:08 AM

I used a buss bar (similar to the last photo in post #5) to move the heavy gauge cables from the battery to a more convenient location. Buss bar supplies power to invertor, winch and other accessories. Any type of buss bar will work. (Happened to have the buss bar on hand.)

I bought a series of switches from https://www.otrattw.net/
They offer a variety of switch styles and options

2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, 2500lb Winch installed in cargo bed, Front and Rear LED auxiliary lighting (4" square 27 watt), Front and Rear CV Guards, Koplin Side Mirrors

Last edited by 200mph; 06-06-2019 at 08:14 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator Technical Discussion > Gator Lighting, Stereo and Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode