Power not getting to solenoid - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator Lighting, Stereo and Electrical Questions on getting that killer audio system installed on your Gator? Check here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-16-2019, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Power not getting to solenoid

620i Gator won't start correctly. I can get it running by jumping the solenoid. I've tested the following: Starter, solenoid, brake safety switch, neutral safety switch, and ignition/ key switch. They all work properly. But there is still no power getting to the solenoid small wire that comes from the key switch.

Has anyone had this problem before? Is there another relay I'm missing? I'm thinking it's either that or a broken wire coming from the ignition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-16-2019, 07:51 PM

If the small wire from the switch to the solenoid is suspect a simple continuity test would quickly ID if the wire is ok or not.

Since you've tested a number of electrical components, I'll assume you're handy with a volt meter.

The workshop manual has good electrical schematics and theory of operation to better understand how everything works. Well worth it if you plan on doing your own repairs.

Good luck!

2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, 2500lb Winch installed in cargo bed, Front and Rear LED auxiliary lighting (4" square 27 watt), Front and Rear CV Guards, Koplin Side Mirrors
post #3 of 7 Old 09-02-2019, 08:37 AM

I have simular problem with my gator. I have a question, when you jump starter to get it to start does it idle high??? Mine does and it idled fine before
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-02-2019, 07:24 PM

High idle is simply a sign of something not being right.
Very well related to the original issue.

Fix the problem before you draw conclusions on that.
It could be that with the starter jumped the electrical circuits still dont work including alternator which causes it to run more freely.

Check wire to the solenoid, relays etc.
In my experience these things are best left to the jd mechanic or somebody with decent experience of electrics as it tends to be a simple fix but its hard when you dont know the wiring.

Edit: take a testlight and start from the starter back.
Test the starter activation connector, trace the wire down to the dash, check at dash, check relay, check switch etc.
The wire tends to be a purple color on most models.
Acc i believe is yellow

Last edited by טים ירושלמי; 09-02-2019 at 07:29 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-03-2019, 09:18 PM

Did you check the neutral start relay. the power goes through it to power solenoid wire .Also check that the red wire is powering the neutral start relay.If no power make sure fuse is ok or voltage through fuse connections.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-20-2019, 10:38 PM

Hi I have a 1998 diesel Gator I am having some electrical problems, I have the first page of the electrical drawing but can not find the second page does any one have a copy.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-20-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorOz View Post
Hi I have a 1998 diesel Gator I am having some electrical problems, I have the first page of the electrical drawing but can not find the second page does any one have a copy.
Make a new thread so we can help you better.
I see you posted in another thread over a year ago but i do not know if the problem is related?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator Technical Discussion > Gator Lighting, Stereo and Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode