2006 HPX 4x4 diesel ; Starter issues - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator Lighting, Stereo and Electrical Questions on getting that killer audio system installed on your Gator? Check here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 11-06-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

2006 HPX 4x4 diesel ; Starter issues

As the title suggests I抦 a bit baffled and need some input. I抳e got a HPX with a starting issue. A brief background I gave my gator to my daughter to use as I bought a new kubota utv. It ran faithfully until my son in-law decided it had starter issues and had the starter rebuilt. He never could get it running again and left it outside for almost 9 months. I finally took it back , changed the oil, air filter, cleaned all the electrical connections. I did take the starter into Advanced Auto to have the starter tested and they said it was ok. I reinstalled it, charged the battery and got the gator started , but only after turning the ignition switch over a few times. I would hear the fuel selinoid click each time. Then it would finally star.
To my surprise it ran quite well. Finally last Monday I once I got it started I tired to turn it off. It wouldn抰 shut off, I finally by turning the key all the way to the start position and back to off did it shut off. Thinking it was a simple fix by replacing the ignition, I did that.....no go . Same issue.
Now , while all the dash lights come on , I can抰 get it the starter to initiate.
Do I have a bad starter relay? Or a bad Starter/ Selinoid? Also if the starter needs replaced has anyone used an aftermarket one. The Deere starters are ridiculous priced.
Would appreciate and thoughts, thanks in advanced
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-06-2019, 10:44 PM

Well first i wouldnt blame your son in law as even a lot of beginner mechanics make the mistake of misdiagnosing or simply forgetting a wire.

When it started and kept running did the starter keep running?
Iam almost thinking that ine of the 3 solenoids could be bad.
Depending on the model it could be that theres 3 solenoids on the firewall of which one handles the starting circuit.
If so best to check those.

The fact that the shut off solenoid does not shut off or on suggests that the problem is probably still in the dash area.

Keep in mind that everything in the engine bay is "dumb" there are no switches solenoids etc on the engine and the fact that it does not shut off means that something is supplying power, that means that the wires must be good.

That would also explain why the starter would work bad in the first place.

Again, cant say for sure without checking it myself but i hope i helped you along.

Edit: when i said 3 solenoids i meant 3 relays..

Last edited by 讟讬诐 讬专讜砖诇诪讬; 11-07-2019 at 11:21 AM.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-07-2019, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

I was sorta thinking the same thing, that the Starter Relay (K1) is bad. It抯 also the cheapest and easiest to replace. Headed to the Deere dealer today to get the relay. I downloaded a Service Manual , which has been invaluable resource . Thanks for the input, I抣l post later with the results .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-07-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbjohnson61 View Post
I was sorta thinking the same thing, that the Starter Relay (K1) is bad. It’s also the cheapest and easiest to replace. Headed to the Deere dealer today to get the relay. I downloaded a Service Manual , which has been invaluable resource . Thanks for the input, I’ll post later with the results .
Next time just go to the auto parts store, these relays are all the same
post #5 of 6 Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Update to my original post. After replacing the ignition & relay, I did what I should have done in the first place. Replaced the starter/ solenoid unit. Problem solved. I ordered one from Amazon , it ran around $85 inc. shipping. I did notice that on the original starter which I抎 taken out to have tested, the jumper from the solenoid to starter was burnt off where it goes into the starter. I抦 guessing it was like that before and finally just fried enough to short out the unit. Happy ending, the Gator starts strong again !
post #6 of 6 Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM

Garage
Great news thanks for the follow up

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator Technical Discussion > Gator Lighting, Stereo and Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode