Power Steering issues on a 2013 825i - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator Performance Modifications This is the area to discuss John Deere Gator performance modifications, Gator Accessories, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 09-23-2017, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
MRH

Power Steering issues on a 2013 825i

Folks: I have a 2013 825i Gator that I absolutely love! However, recently I have come across an intermittent problem regarding the power steering. Sometimes when you start it, the idiot light appears warning you of no power steering. Then you shut it off and restart and usually it goes away and power steering resumes to normal. Is this some sort of an electrical problem do you suspect or am I in for a more difficult situation regarding a power steering pump etc.? Please lend me your thoughts if you have experienced this problem. Thank you...MRH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-27-2017, 11:47 AM

I don't have an answer for you, but I have the exact same problem on my 2015 825i. I'm hoping someone will answer one of these threads.
post #3 of 18 Old 10-05-2017, 05:43 PM

Check out this thread https://www.gatorforums.net/forum/gat...-steering.html

it has good suggestions by Me Scoobieguy :-) on page 1

Problem never go away on their own, especially if the machine is still under warranty.
Typically problems arise right away within a few hours, but then its regular maintenance and troubleshooting that will resolve the Issue :-)

It's worth getting the electronic version of the service manual.

Now back to the power steering intermittent issue. JD call it the EPAS.
From the John deere parts search catalog John Deere - Parts Catalog

Once you have checked the connectors according to the service manual the EPAS has switched power from a 15a fuse in the fuse block under the hood, near the left fender. This fuse provides power to the Relay EPAS relay C-97. If the 15a fuse is blown the display panel will not work. so that is likely not your issue.

Now the relay on the other hand can be at fault. I would pull it out, verify the pins for corrosion, grit... it may need to be replaced.

and

JohnDeereCat1 on page 2
EPAS not working

Okay everyone lets get some EPAS 101. I've fix several of these units. First off don't over think it. EPAS units don't go bad, I have never had to replace one. They are built to protect themselves. The only fault light that I have every seen is a solid bright light on the dash or on the instrument panel. A solid dim or bright light means that there is a problem with the power supply or the ground. The EPAS gets it's power from the positive battery terminal and there is a circuit breaker next to the battery. I have seen the connections come loose. On the ground side the wire is connected to the frame along with a stack of other ground wires next to the negative battery terminal. They mounted the ground wires right on top of the paint on the seat frame. Clean the paint off the frame and drill out the hole. Mount the grounds with a bolt and nut on the underside of the frame. Install a jumper wire connecting those ground wires to the main negative terminal. I just repaired one that had high resistance on the ground side of the EPAS. A blinking light on the dash is other problems, like speed sensor and stuff like that. Hopefully this will help everyone out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 10-06-2017, 07:08 PM

I have an 825i and the EAPS light is on frequently, but not constantly. I cleaned all connections with air. Visually, there was no corrosion. I removed paint on ground side connection to seat frame. Still no improvement. I did not find a circuit breaker near the battery??? I'm down to the relay, Could it be the relay. Can a dealer find the fault with a computer?
post #5 of 18 Old 01-28-2018, 08:18 PM

check electrical plug wire big red wire ,or the other plug wire coming off the epas for corrosion.
post #6 of 18 Old 06-25-2018, 09:57 AM

2016 860i -

Had EPAS failing over the winter when it was very cold. When EPAS was out the indicator light was on on the instrument panel. Was also having trouble with cold starts at the same time. Replaced my battery and the EPAS problem went away with the new battery. Just finished some maintenance work (oil change, installed new ignition due to broken key) and the EPAS light is not on or blinking, but the power steering is not functioning. Should I assume I bumped something or a connection is dirty?

1. wondering if there is a clue electrically that the light is not on?
2. does anyone have a link to the electrical service manual, or source to buy one?

thanks!

2016 RSX860i
post #7 of 18 Old 09-25-2018, 05:44 PM

I have a 2013 825i S4 and have had the same problem - Sometimes the light comes on when you start it, other times it comes on after running for a while. It always clears if you shut it off and restart it. A few weeks ago, I was in a Parade on a hot day (85 degrees) - After running about 1 hour, my Power Steering Light came on (Lost Power Steering) but it also started to run rough and jerk. I did finish the Parade (probably another 1/2 hour of running) but I thought it was going to die at any time. Trying to go slow for the parade, I had to feather the throttle.

To the JD Mechanic - does this also sound like the power and/or Ground problem you were talking about? I know in cars, if you have a ground problem, it causes weird, intermittent problems. In my case, that night and the next day, the Gator ran fine and the Power Steering Light never came back on (never lost power steering).
post #8 of 18 Old 09-28-2018, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town2010 View Post
I have a 2013 825i S4 and have had the same problem - Sometimes the light comes on when you start it, other times it comes on after running for a while. It always clears if you shut it off and restart it. A few weeks ago, I was in a Parade on a hot day (85 degrees) - After running about 1 hour, my Power Steering Light came on (Lost Power Steering) but it also started to run rough and jerk. I did finish the Parade (probably another 1/2 hour of running) but I thought it was going to die at any time. Trying to go slow for the parade, I had to feather the throttle.

To the JD Mechanic - does this also sound like the power and/or Ground problem you were talking about? I know in cars, if you have a ground problem, it causes weird, intermittent problems. In my case, that night and the next day, the Gator ran fine and the Power Steering Light never came back on (never lost power steering).
If by jd mechanic you meant me here goes:
There's no clear fix for power steering issues we work mostly on 855d pas units and iam the guy who does 90% of them and ive tried a million solutions.

That being said there's a checklist we go through to find problems.
And if you stick with me I'll show you how to have smoother steering

-Firstly check all grounds.
Clean ground points battery terminal everything
-replace the automatic fuse with a simple fuse holder and fuse
-connectors need to be cleaned and blown out.
-fuses fuses fuses check them all replace all big fuses over pea if needed but there's also a small fuse somewhere that drives the electronics on some models.
Can't tell you where it is but again check everything by multimeter.
-check the wires, I made a big bypass wire from neg and pos straight to the pas unit but this is not doable for the average diyer.
Instead you can just measure the wires pos and neg to before the connectors.
If that's good you shouldn't worry about that.

Now some info on why it's so hard to diagnose:
I cracked one open before and it's one of 2 options: the position sensor fails or the electronics just go bad.
Even with this open you can not service it without braking stuff and there is nothing obvious to see.
I tried to solder in a used sensor from another one in the parts bin and even then it wouldn't work.
Everything is closed off nothing can be worked on and they're just a pain.

With that lament out of the way there is a way to bypass the pas unit if you just don't want to spend the money and are satisfied having smooth manual steering.

Ian going to explain this without reference so bear with me.

First remove the entire pas unit.
Then remove the allens on the side without the motor sticking out on it.
You will need to remove the seal gently off the shaft on this end.
Usa a small screwdriver and a hammer and gently work it out.
Don't worry about scratches it's not oil filled it's just a dust seal
Under the seal is a nut and maybe a clip.
Remove everything and lift the cover.
Inside there are shafts.
Opposite side of motor is the sensor one and the steering shaft goes through here.
In the middle should be a reduction gear.
Pull it out and throw it in the bin or keep it as a paperweight
put everything together and reinstall the pas.

Now it's a smooth manual instead.
We have done this for a lot of customers and the difference is night and day.
Beats buying a new pas unit and if anything it's worth a shot to try

Happy wrenching..
post #9 of 18 Old 09-28-2018, 01:52 AM

Bad write up by the way but it's 8am on Shabbat here.
Any questions just post them and I'll keep my eye on this thread.
post #10 of 18 Old 11-28-2019, 11:22 AM

I have a 2014 825I and I have cleaned the connector with the big red wire and the connector with the 6 six wires and the power steering starts to work. these are the only connectors I can find. When I move my machine less the 30', it stops working again and I get the warning light on the dash. Any ideas?
post #11 of 18 Old 11-28-2019, 08:52 PM

There is a breaker behind the battery on the right. Could be getting hot and breaking or has bad connections. One wire goes to the battery and the other to the epas. Guess you could bypass it to see if it's at fault.
post #12 of 18 Old 11-28-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselPro View Post
There is a breaker behind the battery on the right. Could be getting hot and breaking or has bad connections. One wire goes to the battery and the other to the epas. Guess you could bypass it to see if it's at fault.
My manager always makes me bypass them and it never solved the problem.
We always put an inline fuse there if you feel inclined to still do that
post #13 of 18 Old 11-30-2019, 10:21 AM

Thanks, I will check it.
post #14 of 18 Old 12-02-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by טים ירושלמי View Post
Quote:
What amp fuse should I use to by pass the breaker?
post #15 of 18 Old 12-02-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Vance View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ˜™️ ™️ר•ש️œž™&#xfe0 f; View Post
Quote:
What amp fuse should I use to by pass the breaker?
Its been a while but id try 25 or 30 amps

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator Technical Discussion > Gator Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode