TE Gator Speed increase - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator Performance Modifications This is the area to discuss John Deere Gator performance modifications, Gator Accessories, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-28-2018, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

TE Gator Speed increase

Hi, new to the forum and wondering if anyone can help me with my query.

I have a 2008 TE Gator which has been modified and use to move a camera crane around filming locations. I also have rear seats added and use it as a camera tracking vehicle filming things on the move.

The problem I have is that I need more speed, only 5-10mph and wondering if it is possible? Would I need to upgrade any parts or is the speed controller able to be re mapped?

All advice greatly received.

Thanks
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-28-2018, 05:44 PM

Garage
There's a sizable cottage industry out there for goosing up the speed on golf carts so they run in the LSV zone between 20-25mph. These shops tend to be around golf course communities where it's legal to run around town in them. I'm familiar with Liberty Lake, WA and there are a few outfits there. They tinker with motors, controllers, gearing, etc. Step ups from 12 volts to whatever is common too. One thing to note is all the mods you've made already might cause the unit to be tippy in certain driving conditions. So the suspension needs to be up to snuff with the loading and speeds.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-29-2018, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

This is great. Thanks for your help. I’m actually based in the UK in London so those communities are a little far away for me 😉. Good to know it can be done though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-29-2018, 06:57 AM

The easiest thing you can do to increase speed is to install larger diameter tires. This will effectively change the final drive ratio. Unfortunately you never get something for nothing. Your speed increase will be offset by a decrease in acceleration and torque. The taller tires will also affect your center of gravity by making the vehicle taller and more tippy.

You could talk to a local speed shop (hot rods, race cars). Find out what machine shop they use. You could have a new gear cut for the transaxle changing your drive gear ratio. Like larger tires what gain in speed will come from acceleration and torque but it won't make the vehicle taller and affect stability.

While there is a big industry modifying golf carts there isn't much out there for Gator TE's. There just weren't that many made so there isn't much of an aftermarket industry supporting them. Golf cart parts could be used to upgrade your drive system but it probably would not be a simple drop in replacement as Deere is notorious for having things made "non-standard". And, when speeding up electric golf carts you quickly hit a limit that there is only so much power in the stock motor. So, speeding up often means a new motor and since a bigger motor draws more current it also needs a larger controller which quickly adds up to a price with a comma.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-09-2019, 01:51 AM

I've just come across this old thread, I'm UK based and have owned a TE for a number of years. I've increased the diameter of my tires and yes top end speed is better. There isn't much choice by way of tires but I wanted aggressive mud slappers and to date I've never got stuck. I'll post the size I went up to later. The other thing which helped me was to clean the throttle potentiometer under the bonnet ( or hood for our US members!)
post #6 of 8 Old 02-09-2019, 09:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndjfb00 View Post
...The other thing which helped me was to clean the throttle potentiometer under the bonnet ( or hood for our US members!)

Thank goodness you clarified bonnet.

I would hate to see the potential throttle response from my wife, if I tried to clean under her bonnet

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #7 of 8 Old 02-10-2019, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Oh ok this is great news. What size tyres did you go for and where did you source them from?

Thanks.
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndjfb00 View Post
I've just come across this old thread, I'm UK based and have owned a TE for a number of years. I've increased the diameter of my tires and yes top end speed is better. There isn't much choice by way of tires but I wanted aggressive mud slappers and to date I've never got stuck. I'll post the size I went up to later. The other thing which helped me was to clean the throttle potentiometer under the bonnet ( or hood for our US members!)
post #8 of 8 Old 04-14-2019, 02:48 AM

You may need to change parameters of the controller.

MAX FWD SPEED - set to the max 25
or
SPEED ENABLE - set to off
You may need Factory access to change them. Find someone with interface or google it. It is cheap and relatively easy

Other way is to use magnet with less poles for the speed sensor (connected to controller on 6pin termina) this way the controller will see less speed and will not apply the programmed restrictions.

The magnet hack is the easyest so far.

Cheers

Last edited by koko; 04-14-2019 at 02:56 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator Technical Discussion > Gator Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode