swapping to a Predator engine? - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator Performance Modifications This is the area to discuss John Deere Gator performance modifications, Gator Accessories, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-26-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

swapping to a Predator engine?

Hey Guys

Ok, so after looking around for a good used Kawasaki FD620d engine under $600 (and not finding one) in very good condition. We have found a 22hp Predator engine for sale locally. Guy bought it, never used it, hasnt even put oil in it yet..and wants $500 for it. in the box.

Problem is the old Kawasaki has the Tapered shaft for the driven clutch for the gator, and this 22hp Predator has has a 1 inch straight shaft. CAN I "adapt" the driven clutch from the Gator, or do I need to buy a different clutch to fit a 1 inch straight shaft? Does anyone have any part info or part #'s to do this?

Thanks again for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-27-2019, 05:40 AM

The clutch on the engine is the primary/drive clutch. The driven clutch is located on the transmission.

You can't really adapt your clutch to the straight engine shaft without a fair bit of machining and making an adapter. Much easier is to get a new primary clutch with a straight bore and keyway. Several years ago I replaced the stock Briggs in my Gator which had a tapered shaft. The new Honda engine had a straight shaft with a keyway. It was a straightforward swap and all I need to make was a spacer to properly position the new clutch so it would line up with the secondary clutch.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-27-2019, 10:44 AM

Garage
i dont see how you would adapt a tapered clutch to fit a straight shaft... but this brings up another possible alternative, could a different clutch be used in place of the JD one?

2000 Gator 4x2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-28-2019, 05:13 AM

Yes, another clutch is easy. The John Deere clutches are made by Team Industries. Their retail clutches are sold by Venom Products. If you contact them do NOT mention you are putting the clutch in a John Deere product. They have a non-disclosure non-compete contract with Deere. They are very nice and helpful but will almost hang up the phone if you mention John Deere.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-28-2019, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

yep...as Dane said..another clutch is easy. After talking with some other folks and doing some of my own research on the various clutches...the Comet 780 drive clutch, is the exact same clutch, but instead of tapered, it's for a 1 inch straight shaft.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-28-2019, 07:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyweed View Post
yep...as Dane said..another clutch is easy. After talking with some other folks and doing some of my own research on the various clutches...the Comet 780 drive clutch, is the exact same clutch, but instead of tapered, it's for a 1 inch straight shaft.
Wow this is really good info, this changes everything for those of us who will repower!

Are there key specs that they need to know when you describe the clutch you need from them? What is it based on? Obviously shaft, but do they need to know operating RPM? Ect @dane

2000 Gator 4x2

Last edited by SouthLake; 03-28-2019 at 09:27 AM.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-28-2019, 04:18 PM

When I ordered mine I spoke with their tech support and let them know my engine rpm range (idle rpm and max rpm) and with that they were able to suggest a spring size. Then if you want you can try different springs to fine tune the performance to your liking. The first number (initial force) of the spring affects the engagement rpm and the second affects how quickly it upshifts.

For example if your machine is heavily loaded down you can pick a spring with a bigger second number which will make the clutch stay at a lower gear ratio longer. If you want your clutch to engage at a lower rpm then pick a lower first number.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-28-2019, 04:33 PM

Garage
@dane thanks for explaining. this really opens up an endless range of options for repowering these things! would be awesome to stuff in a small honda engine into an old machine and not deal with JD parts

2000 Gator 4x2

Last edited by SouthLake; 03-28-2019 at 04:35 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-29-2019, 05:44 AM

When I repowered I went from the stock 18 hp to 23 with the Honda. It didn't do anything for my top speed but because I left the gearing the same but the extra power was very noticeable with acceleration and hill climbing.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-29-2019, 02:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dane View Post
When I repowered I went from the stock 18 hp to 23 with the Honda. It didn't do anything for my top speed but because I left the gearing the same but the extra power was very noticeable with acceleration and hill climbing.
Say you need to move the drive clutch, how do you move it laterally for alignment with the transmission

2000 Gator 4x2
post #11 of 11 Old 03-30-2019, 06:05 AM

First I installed the engine so it would come out pretty close. Then I made a shim that fits over the engine's shaft to fine tune the alignment.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator Technical Discussion > Gator Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in