Installing new drive belt - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator RSX850i Discuss John Deere's all new Gator RSX850i UTV here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-16-2018, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Installing new drive belt

I was able to get all the way to installing the new belt. I don't see how to get the belt to slide on like it slid off. Any tricks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-16-2018, 09:53 PM

Garage
The old belt stretches a touch over time. New belts are stiff. I'd put it around the front hub. Then take a heavy screwdriver and wedge the belt on the rear hub. Rotate the hub with a 1/2" drive socket wrench. I was able to do it myself.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-17-2018, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSeabee View Post
The old belt stretches a touch over time. New belts are stiff. I'd put it around the front hub. Then take a heavy screwdriver and wedge the belt on the rear hub. Rotate the hub with a 1/2" drive socket wrench. I was able to do it myself.
Thanks. I'll give it a shot..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-17-2018, 08:58 AM

Brad Hill has suggested numerous times to wash a new belt in dish soap to remove the oils from the mfg. process. Might wanna try it just because !! Craig
post #5 of 13 Old 04-17-2018, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Got it on with some muscle help from my son. The key is getting the secondary drive to open up. While I’m new on this forum it’s already been beneficial. I can’t believe JD’s thinking on placement of the drive belt. It would be catastrophic to have a belt blow on the trail. -Wade
post #6 of 13 Old 04-17-2018, 01:22 PM

It depends a lot on which Gator your talking about as some are worse than others. My 550 is a 45 minute job in the shop with most of the time spent removing the plastic covers. Definitely something you could not do on the trail unless you happened to bring all the needed tools, a couple extra nuts and bolts cause you're going to drop some in the mud and a six pack... because you're going to need it.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-17-2018, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane View Post
It depends a lot on which Gator your talking about as some are worse than others. My 550 is a 45 minute job in the shop with most of the time spent removing the plastic covers. Definitely something you could not do on the trail unless you happened to bring all the needed tools, a couple extra nuts and bolts cause you're going to drop some in the mud and a six pack... because you're going to need it.

Sorry, since I was in the Gator RSX850i discussion group I didn't think I needed to state the machine I had. If one person can complete the belt swap on an 850i in a fully equipped shop in 45 mins. I will buy a ticket. What a PITA! I'm just happy that the new belt did what I wanted it to do. My Gator has 967 miles and 133 hrs on it and was very jumping at low throttle. I couldn't even use low gear. The new belt cured the problem.
post #8 of 13 Old 04-18-2018, 07:07 AM

John Deere says it takes 3.5 hours (in a perfect world). Our service shop did mine in 4 but that was pushing it.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-18-2018, 08:00 AM

Yeap unless you are going to pull the clutch off the way you did it with a second person is the way to go. I have had people tell me that stretching the belt during the install will shorten the belt life but I have more miles on this one then the last.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-19-2018, 05:29 AM

Sorry, since I was in the Gator RSX850i discussion group I didn't think I needed to state the machine I had. If one person can complete the belt swap on an 850i in a fully equipped shop in 45 mins. I will buy a ticket. What a PITA! I'm just happy that the new belt did what I wanted it to do. My Gator has 967 miles and 133 hrs on it and was very jumping at low throttle. I couldn't even use low gear. The new belt cured the problem.

I knew what Gator you had but I've helped work on several other models and a lot depends on which Gator your working on. Some are better than others but I think the newer machines are worse.

The only reason I can change my belt so quickly now is that I've done a lot of modifications to my machine so I've disassembled it several times. I have bought or made the tools needed to do the job a bit quicker. I think the first time took a couple hours as I tried doing it by removing the minimum parts off the machine to get to the belt. Now, I've figured that it's actually quicker to do more disassembly so you have better access.

Last edited by dane; 04-19-2018 at 04:28 PM.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-19-2018, 06:32 PM

Did you see a issue with your old belt? Did you use another John Deere belt or aftermarket? My 590 is very jerky as well. With only 20hrs on it. And after sitting for a few days I can’t even get it to shift into gear without reving the engine
post #12 of 13 Old 04-20-2018, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeschmidt View Post
Did you see a issue with your old belt? Did you use another John Deere belt or aftermarket? My 590 is very jerky as well. With only 20hrs on it. And after sitting for a few days I can’t even get it to shift into gear without reving the engine
Surprisingly the old belt did not show any damage. The new belt completely got rid of the jerkiness at low speed. My guess is the old belt was just stretched and causing slippage.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-30-2019, 12:20 PM

What p/n belt did you install? Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator RSX850i

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode