Manual park brake. - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator RSX850i Discuss John Deere's all new Gator RSX850i UTV here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-22-2018, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
RXN

Garage
Manual park brake.

This may have been asked 100 times. But I'm going to go ahead and ask again.

My park break sucks. I'm out of adjustment on the cable. The brake will not hold the machine on a hill. I'm having to roll into the guys I ride with hoping their breaks will hold two machines or have someone winch me to a tree, just so I can get out while on slopes.

A friend of mine has an aftermarket hand brake on his 2014 Wildcat 700. A little level that when pulled applies pressure to the brake pedal as if his foot was on it.

I've found them for $150.00 but looks like I'll have to modify a bit. I'd have to cut the plastic dash to bolt the bracket and possibly build new rods.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of there is one made that fits the RSX850I's. I'd sooner buy one that'll work then go with the trial and error method of modifying something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-03-2018, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
RXN

Garage
Installed a cam lock style hand break. Pretty slick. By pulling the lever it pushes down on the pedal as your foot is there.
I had to do a few modifications to make it fit. But it's in.
I have a small hill in my yard. The factory park break has never been able to hold the gator on this hill. But this thing actually does.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181103_144753_1541278902773.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	4.34 MB
ID:	10709   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181103_144802_1541279049164.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	4.22 MB
ID:	10711  
post #3 of 7 Old 11-04-2018, 06:49 AM

I like how it holds brake pressure on all 4 tires and not just the rear tires like the original park brake.

I’ve ran into a problem while winching a buddy out. My park brake wouldn’t alone wouldn’t hold the gator back so somebody had to set in my gator and apply the foot brake because I needed to be out front watching everything going on while operating the winch controller in that situation.

2016 RSX860i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-10-2018, 02:46 PM

Can you give me info on the set up ? Where to get it , did you have to modify anything ?
post #5 of 7 Old 11-10-2018, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
RXN

Garage
Here is where I bought it.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...g-Brake-System

I ordered the one for an Arctic cat trail 700. Not knowing what I'd get

As far as mods went to make it fit.
I had to cut out the dash. So the whole section under the steering column by your knees. Gone.
The bracket that came with the kit I had to cut off the "Y" fork portion. Then I had to flip the angle pretty much 180 degrees to get the shafting to line up from my brake pedal to the handle.
I made a 3/16" space between the supplied bracket and the steering column mount. 1/4" or 3/8" thick might even be better.
Then marked where the holes needed to be. Drilled and mounted everything.

Works great on my little hill in my backyard. The real test will come next trip I go on.

Hope that helps
post #6 of 7 Old 11-15-2018, 05:52 PM

It helps , I just need to make the mounts , my other thought was to use the factory park brake cable , just re route it , and attach it to the brake pedal, I think the cable will would hold , just have to put pressure on the peddle, then push down on the factory park brake.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-16-2018, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
RXN

Garage
Yeah. I think you are better to have something push the pedal as well.

I was originally going to use one of our hydraulic drive throttle cables from work. It's like an industrial sized manual choke lever.

Plan was to mount it to the top side of the break pedal arm. (As you push the pedal down the portion of the pedal above the pivot point pulls towards the driver).

That way I would not have such a big hole in my dash. However I wasn't sure that would actually be strong enough to hold or if it would slip.
This cam lock way seems to be more solid. And seems to work great.

If I get a chance I'll snap a few more pictures for you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator General Discussion > Gator RSX850i

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode