6 ply Ribbed tires - John Deere Gator Forums
Gator Wheel and Tire Discussion For discussion of all things related to John Deere Gator wheels and tires.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 09-19-2019, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

6 ply Ribbed tires

I have a 2004 4x2 Gator with 8” front tires (22x11-8) and 9” rear tires (25x12-9). These original tires are shot. They’ve been patched so many times and filled with so much sealant that they’ve finally given up the ghost and split their sidewalls. So, I need some new skins and I’d like to get some that are more resistant to the vast number of things here in Texas that are looking to destroy them (mesquite thorns, in particular). A buddy of mine has a Mule with Kevlar tires on it and he’s not yet had a flat in five years of ownership.

I’ve looked online and can’t seem to find anything in the above sizes that’ll be an improvement over what I’ve had. I imagine a different wheel size might open up some more opportunities, but I don’t know what size wheels will work on this machine. Therefore I’m a little hesitant to change sizes unless someone else tells me that they did it and it works fine.

Suggestions on wheel size and/or tires would be appreciated form someone who has been there. Thanks, guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-20-2019, 07:22 AM

Cant really recommend on the tires since youre not in the same country but id suggest big thread tires if you can.

When it comes to rims i do not know about the front since ive not tried to upgrade these myself and as a mechanic we cant because of the law.

For the rear I would however look into a deep dish 5x5,5 bolt pattern wheel in the size of 10x10
10 inch wheels are easier to work with, the width is a bit of preference and is usually kept 2 inch less than the tire width.
So a 12 wide tire gets a 10 inch wide rim.
Or a 12 inch wide gets an 8 inch wide rim but gets a bit of balloon effect.

Now there is also one thing to consider and that on the 4x2 you might actually want some balloon effect because of the lack of suspension.
So if you have tires that are 4 inch wider you have a bit less bumpy rides.
Just dont go over that 4 inch though.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-23-2019, 11:56 AM

Seek out Rocky Mountain ATV online and look for the TUSK Terrabite brand! 8ply! Super quiet, long lasting! have 'em on my Gator 835!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-24-2019, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjeep View Post
Seek out Rocky Mountain ATV online and look for the TUSK Terrabite brand! 8ply! Super quiet, long lasting! have 'em on my Gator 835!
Thanks. Yesterday I found some Deestone 6 ply tires from Simple Tire. While they aren’t Kevlar, they do appear to be more rugged than what came on the Gator. In the reviews I saw several Gator owners who were very happy with them. Also, they are an exact fit. So, we’ll see when they get here. Interestingly, I found them at Walmart online and was set to order them when I just decided to check a bit more at other places. SimpleTire.com had them on eBay, substantially cheaper than what they were selling them for on their website, and about $30 cheaper for the set than Walmart. So, I got to save some money and didn’t need to spend any at Walmart, so I consider that a double win.

They’re supposed to arrive Friday and it will be next week sometime before I can mount them, as I will be doing it by hand with some big screwdrivers. After I get them running I’ll give a report.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-24-2019, 08:46 AM

Usually i would not recommend doing these tires by hand, bring them to be mounted somewhere if you have the option
post #6 of 11 Old 09-25-2019, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ื˜ื™ื ื™ืจื•ืฉืœืžื™ View Post
Usually i would not recommend doing these tires by hand, bring them to be mounted somewhere if you have the option
I haven’t found anyone who will do it since the rims are so small and without the traditional lug pattern. I’ll keep looking though before I bite that off.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-25-2019, 06:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecosbill View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ื˜ื[emoji769
ื ืืจื•ืืœืžื;94947]Usually i would not recommend doing these tires by hand, bring them to be mounted somewhere if you have the option
I haven’t found anyone who will do it since the rims are so small and without the traditional lug pattern. I’ll keep looking though before I bite that off.

Do you have a ATV shop nearby? I didn’t realize the type of tire made a difference?

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #8 of 11 Unread Yesterday, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradhill View Post
Do you have a ATV shop nearby? I didn’t realize the type of tire made a difference?
I ended up taking them to the local John Deere dealer in San Antonio, as our JD dealer in Fredericksburg (AgPro) doesn’t mess with tires. The SA dealer ended up charging me almost $90 to mount them, which seemed a little high, but might not have seemed so if I had been in the middle of spending half the day trying to mount them myself with tire irons. Whatever, they are mounted and on the Gator now and seem to work well. We’ll see how they hold up in the mesquite thorns. Thanks everyone.
Bill
post #9 of 11 Unread Yesterday, 10:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Quote:

I ended up taking them to the local John Deere dealer in San Antonio, as our JD dealer in Fredericksburg (AgPro) doesn’t mess with tires. The SA dealer ended up charging me almost $90 to mount them, which seemed a little high, but might not have seemed so if I had been in the middle of spending half the day trying to mount them myself with tire irons. Whatever, they are mounted and on the Gator now and seem to work well. We’ll see how they hold up in the mesquite thorns. Thanks everyone.

Bill

Keep us updated!

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #10 of 11 Unread Today, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Bill
We have a tire mounting machine and the thicker tires we have just barely go on.
Especially the maxis bighorns give the fight of their lives to put them on with the machine.
My boss even managed to mess up a new out of the box rim with these once

You made the right choice here.
post #11 of 11 Unread Today, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ื˜ื™ื ื™ืจื•ืฉืœืžื™ View Post
We have a tire mounting machine and the thicker tires we have just barely go on.
Especially the maxis bighorns give the fight of their lives to put them on with the machine.
My boss even managed to mess up a new out of the box rim with these once

You made the right choice here.
Yep, I think so. When I picked them up there were big clumps of grease on the rims and the tires near where they meet. I asked the service manager about that and he said they were so tight that the mechanic had to use a lot of grease on them to get them on the rims. No telling how much I’d have struggled trying to get them on the rims.
Bill

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator Technical Discussion > Gator Wheel and Tire Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode