xuv 550 question - John Deere Gator Forums
Gatorforums.net Site Help and Support Notice an issue with your account or the site? Post here for help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-08-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

xuv 550 question

I have to replace a broken throttle cable in a 2015 XUV 550 Gator. I have removed the floor panel but still need to get to carburetor. Can I access this by removing the air filter assembly behind the seat or is there a better way? New to working on this engine and trying to access it correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-08-2019, 12:28 PM

Garage
Welcome

Feel free to post often and photos are always appreciated.

You might consider purchasing a copy of a OEM Tech Manual off eBay. This manual will be extremely helpful when working on your Gator.

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #3 of 7 Old 11-08-2019, 01:01 PM

Well 550.. uhh

Best way to get access to anything is to take off everything.
They changed this on the 560 but thats not really helping.

You will need to remove possibly the seats, the center tray and the air filter housing in that order.
Dont forget the air hose!

I do not understand why you removed the floor panel though as you can feed it through, that sucker is a pita to remove

Last edited by טים ירושלמי; 11-08-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-13-2019, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

throttle cable replacement

I was able to access everything by removing the cargo box and carb cover without having to worry about the air filter housing. Also purchased full repair manual as pdf for only $32.00.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-14-2019, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

air cleaner housing

In order to remove carburetor and to perform other various jobs on engine, the air cleaner housing has to be removed. With a bench seat on a HUV 550, the metal frame of the seat back has to be removed because the air cleaner housing top cannot be removed with this in place. This turns out to be quite a job. Is there any way around this?
post #6 of 7 Unread Yesterday, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmdad View Post
In order to remove carburetor and to perform other various jobs on engine, the air cleaner housing has to be removed. With a bench seat on a HUV 550, the metal frame of the seat back has to be removed because the air cleaner housing top cannot be removed with this in place. This turns out to be quite a job. Is there any way around this?
To remove the carb you also need to remove the fan cover so that also involves taking out the 4x4 driveshaft and dif lock bracket.
I would send it to a mechanic if you are not handy because thats a mammoth task for the unintitiated as the 4x4 driveshaft bolt is sometimes stuck and the dif lock bracket bolts sometimes get stripped.

Why do you want to get to the carb in the first place?

We are mechanics that do this on a regular basis, doesnt make working on a 550 more fun but we know the shortcuts and we also have the tools so we dont have to take the shortcuts that would make our life horrible.
I would for instance strip it bare naked in 15 minutes and have all the space in the world to work.

If you do go ahead on working on this take your time and gut eveything thats in your way but dont rush it
post #7 of 7 Unread Today, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

gator 550 huv carb

Thank you for all of the information I received on this forum. It has been really helpful. I didn't have to remove the carb for now but just had to get to it to replace a broken throttle cable. Took off cargo box and carb cover and it wasn't too bad although I did (with nobody around) yell at the engineers who designed this! I had another issue with the bench seat. Two of the bolts that are embedded in the bottom of the seat came out with the bracket bolts when I lifted up the seat. I will take a close look at them to see how to resolve.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > New Member Area > Gatorforums.net Site Help and Support

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode