855D engine dies. - John Deere Gator Forums
New Member Introductions If you are new to the site, please introduce yourself in here. You will find that our community is very friendly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-22-2015, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

855D engine dies.

Hello to all!! I am new here. I am having a problem with my 855D. It has 260hrs. The engine dies all of the sudden. Have to turn motor over many times for it to start. Once it starts it runs rough for a few minutes . Then it works fine for a little bit and does it again. Have changed fuel filter. Same problem. Changed fuel still doing same thing. Any help would be much appreciated!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-22-2015, 04:53 PM

Sounds like you have air in your line. Need to bleed the fuel system. There should either be a primer pump on top of the filter, or there should be a bleed screw that you'll need to loosen, cycle the key a few times and should be good.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-23-2015, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help! Just primed the system till fuel was returning to tank. Went and drive it. Drove about a half a block and is still doing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-24-2015, 12:24 AM

If priming gets you running again, you still have an air leak. Priming will get enough fuel to it to get it running for a bit, but if it's sucking air it'll die again. Diesel's are picky about any air in the fuel system. Check your fuel filter housing (seen a few hairline cracks in the plastic bowls) and check to make sure everything is tight. Trace your fuel lines back to the tank and make sure none are rubbed through or leaking. Once you find where the air is coming from, you'll know what you have to do. Good luck!
post #5 of 7 Old 01-24-2015, 12:27 AM

Another way to find leaks, if you can't find it the other way, is to put a little bit of air pressure in the fuel tank, it should spill fuel out of wherever the pesky air is getting into the system. You DONT need much air, just enough to make it leak. I will normally wrap a blow gun in a rag and stick it in the fuel fill and pump in some air. Have a buddy look underneath to see where the fuel is coming out.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-04-2019, 02:30 PM

Fuel issues 855d

I have a 855d 2012 same issue with running for a mile or 2 and then just die, shut off starts right back up rund 5-10 ft shuts off then let it sit and it will do the same thing the next day I also feed with mine same issue. So far i have replaced the fuel shut off relay the fuel feed pump no luck Anyone have any ideas i have not checked wires yet but hard to believe elec seams like fuel delivery Any help out there
post #7 of 7 Old 08-05-2019, 05:56 AM

Have you checked your fuel transfer pump. is it getting fuel to injector pump.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > New Member Area > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode