gator 825i clutch problems - John Deere Gator Forums
New Member Introductions If you are new to the site, please introduce yourself in here. You will find that our community is very friendly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 03-01-2016, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

gator 825i clutch problems

I have a 2011 Gator 825i with 182 miles & 68 hrs. On my second clutch. First was under warranty. Second I had to pay labor. Now it's doing the same as before, won't shift out of gear. I've heard about a lot of people with the same problems. This time I could not get any response for the local Deere dealership. Finished up buying a rebuilt clutch from Griffin Performance, the best thing that I ever did. Cured all my problems. Runs better now than when it was new. Took about one hour to replace and back on the road. Winston at Griffin took care of all my needs, sent me a clutch removal tool with the clutch and I had it in two days. Great service. Can't say enough about Griffin Performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-01-2016, 02:15 PM

Garage
Griffin Performance in NC?

Parts Guy for Deere
'13 RSX Sport Edition*SOLD*

2015 Can Am Maverick X RS DPS
- 30in ITP Blackwater EVO on MSA M12 Diesels
- Super Atv rocksliders
- Super Atv Rear Hitch
- Strongmade Front Bumper with 4500lb Superwinch
- Wakeboard speakers w/ 800 amp
- HID headlights
post #3 of 19 Old 03-01-2016, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Yes. Griffin Performance in New Bern N.C.
Great people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 03-03-2016, 10:37 AM

I have refurbished clutches on hand, with hand fitted wear buttons ready to go. I can sell them on an exchange basis or can refurbish yours.

PM if interested.

Doc the Clutch Man

Gator 825i
post #5 of 19 Old 03-03-2016, 12:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBDiagMan View Post
I have refurbished clutches on hand, with hand fitted wear buttons ready to go. I can sell them on an exchange basis or can refurbish yours.

PM if interested.
I must say Doc does an incredible job !!!

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers
post #6 of 19 Old 03-03-2016, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Doc for the info.
I used Griffin because they are closer to me. I live in Virginia. So far I am well please with the product from them and their speedy response. I will definitely keep you in mind if I should need another.
post #7 of 19 Old 09-19-2016, 04:10 PM

Doc,
I'm interested!! Sent you a PM!!
post #8 of 19 Old 05-15-2019, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool10 View Post
I have a 2011 Gator 825i with 182 miles & 68 hrs. On my second clutch. First was under warranty. Second I had to pay labor. Now it's doing the same as before, won't shift out of gear. I've heard about a lot of people with the same problems. This time I could not get any response for the local Deere dealership. Finished up buying a rebuilt clutch from Griffin Performance, the best thing that I ever did. Cured all my problems. Runs better now than when it was new. Took about one hour to replace and back on the road. Winston at Griffin took care of all my needs, sent me a clutch removal tool with the clutch and I had it in two days. Great service. Can't say enough about Griffin Performance.
After going through 2 clutches (would not shift when hot) I was told to drill hole in plastic cover, glue in a piece of 3/8 hose, and squirt dry graphite onto clutch assembly monthly. Does not seem to effect belt slippage but clutch works better? Works for me!
post #9 of 19 Old 05-15-2019, 09:24 AM

Garage
gator 825i clutch problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugleboy View Post
Quote:
After going through 2 clutches (would not shift when hot) I was told to drill hole in plastic cover, glue in a piece of 3/8 hose, and squirt dry graphite onto clutch assembly monthly. Does not seem to effect belt slippage but clutch works better? Works for me!

What happens when the glue holding tubing fails, seems like an opportunity for a huge problem.
Not to mention you are regularly introducing “dust” into the cover. Long term not the best solution.
The underlying issue is not Clutch lubricity or lack there of. The problem lies with tight fitting components.

2012 Gator 825i (new engine at 1700 hours) Power Steering-Sport Exhaust- Deluxe Cab-Heater- Work Lights On Top Front And Rear- Hella HID Driving Lights-Warn ProVantage 4500 synthetic winch-Electric Dump- Gillmore Seat Covers

Last edited by Bradhill; 05-15-2019 at 09:40 AM.
post #10 of 19 Old 05-15-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugleboy View Post
Quote:
Sounds to me like a band aid on Cancer !! Masking the problem solves nothing long term. Contact clutchdoc and get a quality rebuilt one !! JMA. Craig
post #11 of 19 Old 05-16-2019, 09:50 AM

Being you are on clutches on this forum. Thoughts on my issue below.
I would assume either a belt or clutch rebuild would fix an intense squeal when I start my gator. 2013 825i.

2013 825i, Green and Yellow, interior led lights, exterior front and rear led lights, windshield, winch, plow.
post #12 of 19 Old 05-16-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorwork View Post
Being you are on clutches on this forum. Thoughts on my issue below.
I would assume either a belt or clutch rebuild would fix an intense squeal when I start my gator. 2013 825i.
Mine squeals a bit as well. If that's the only issue and shifting is OK, belt should cure it IMO !! Craig
post #13 of 19 Old 05-16-2019, 10:26 PM

sounds like the alternator belt needs to be tighten, if not tight it will squeal when first starting.
post #14 of 19 Old 05-17-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd772 View Post
sounds like the alternator belt needs to be tighten, if not tight it will squeal when first starting.
Thanks, I never thought about the alternator belt.

2013 825i, Green and Yellow, interior led lights, exterior front and rear led lights, windshield, winch, plow.
post #15 of 19 Old 05-24-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd772 View Post
So I finally had a second and checked the alternator belt and that was not the issue. The belt was snug as a bug!!
After a few starts it is coming from the clutch area. So when I have a few more minutes, that will be the next thing to check. I may start with a new belt first as I do not have the issue of hard shifting. Also once I have the clutch cover off, I believe that I have heard of people cleaning the clutch off from dust that accumulates on snowmobiles and that has helped things.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > New Member Area > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode