620I valve adjustment - John Deere Gator Forums
Projects and How-To A section for sharing your Gator projects with others. Please note, pictures make it better!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 09-27-2018, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

620I valve adjustment

Fairly new to the Gator world. Got a 2008 620i from my FIL a while back. I suspect it has not had its normal maintenance for a while. It now surges at idle. From what I gather that can be caused by incorrect valve adjustment. Even if that is not the problem, I think it is past due for a check anyway. I found the Kawasaki technical manual online with instructions, but the instructions there are for a disassembled engine. I figure the most practical way to do the job is to rotate the engine until the intake valves open and adjust the exhaust valves and adjust the intake valves when the exhaust valves close. How do I rotate the engine? Thought I'd ask the experts before I started taking things apart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-28-2018, 01:14 AM

You have an intake and exhaust stroke.
I usually put something long an thin in the spark plug hole and gently turn the engine.
If the piston is up and both valves are closed you are good, if not turn it further till it's up again untill you have a little clearance.

Then adjust the valves to kawasakis 0.004 in 0.006 ex and you're golden.

These engines are finnicky so I always put the cover on loosely and let it cycle a few times without plugs and check again.
Not having a cover on or a piece of cloth to prevent spray could have you end up painting the ceiling.

If you adjust it on the wrong stroke you messed up but you'll hear it.
Check check and recheck and if you did it right once you can do it right every time
post #3 of 4 Old 09-28-2018, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply.

FWIW the sticker on the engine and the Kawasaki tech manual both say both valves should be adjusted cold to .01.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-28-2018, 11:31 PM

I rechecked and you're right, this engine has a different valve clearance.
Good thinking

Last edited by טים ירושלמי; 09-28-2018 at 11:40 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   John Deere Gator Forums > John Deere Gator Technical Discussion > Projects and How-To

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the John Deere Gator Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode