John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned in a previous post, my XUV 550 just hit the 100 hr. mark. Due to hitting this milestone, I was looking through the owner’s manual for anything else I should service, in addition to changing the oil.

I came across some information stating that, after the first 100 hrs. the machine should be taken to a dealership to have the engine valves adjusted. I was wondering if anyone has actually done this? Is it really necessary and beneficial? Is this an expensive service? Etc.?

Any advice or insight you can offer is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
156 Posts
My machine is a 2014 model 625I that recently passed the 100 hour mark. Had the dealer change all relevant filters, flushes, and liquid changes (radiator, oil, air, fuel etc). There was no mention of the need for valve adjustment.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My machine is a 2014 model 625I that recently passed the 100 hour mark. Had the dealer change all relevant filters, flushes, and liquid changes (radiator, oil, air, fuel etc). There was no mention of the need for valve adjustment.
Interesting. It definitely states to have them adjusted after the first 100 hrs. in my manual. I just don’t know how necessary that service really is. I own a large property and will be using this machine quite a bit. I need it to last. So, maintenance is very important to me for optimum performance and longevity.

I’m heading to my dealership tomorrow to pick up an oil filter and a rear bumper I ordered. While there, I’ll see what they have to say. Thank you, for your input!

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
I believe the 625i XUV and the 550 XUV have different engines manufacture’s, thus different maintenance specifications.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Bradhill

You’re absolutely right, very different engines. I’m just curious if anyone has had this service performed to any engine in the Gator lineup. Trying to decide if it is a good idea or a waste of time & money. Like I said, I’ll be visiting my dealer today. While there, I’m going to speak with a mechanic, not a salesman, and try to get a feel for whether or not it is recommended. I’ll report back for anyone who might be interested.

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
PM sent

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Update: I spoke with the head of the service department at my dealership and asked about the manual’s recommendation for engine valve adjustment at the 100 hr. mark.

In a nutshell, I was told, “If the machine seems to be running fine, don’t worry about it!” So, I guess I’ll skip it for now until I have reason to believe it is needed.

·
Registered
715 Posts
The good thing is the valve covers are easily accessible on the 550. It would be a easy job to do the valve adjustment yourself especially if you pull the bed off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts