John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone
I am hoping someone can help with two questions.
1. I am trying to locate the serial number for my 1996 Gator 6x4 the serial number of the gator is W006X4X016966.
The engine model is FD620D which I can find stamped on the base of the motor but I can not seem to find any other numbers.
2. My battery would go dead after a while and so I did some testing and thought it was the rectifier. I replaced it and now the battery light is on (which wasn't happening with the old one). Am I looking at a new stator at this point, the battery is still only producing 12.3 volts when running.

Any help would be appreciated.
Tom

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
1. I am trying to locate the serial number for my 1996 Gator 6x4 the serial number of the gator is W006X4X016966.

"My battery would go dead after a while"
1. You've answered your own question. This is the number needed when ordering parts from JD.

2. So what tests did you do and the results you though the rectifier was bad?

Battery would go dead after a while... - Is this when it was running or after it sat for a period of time?

You will have to go through the wiring including fuses to verify all is in working order.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
T
1. You've answered your own question. This is the number needed when ordering parts from JD.

Battery would go dead after a while... - Is this when it was running or after it sat for a period of time?

You will have to go through the wiring including fuses to verify all is in working order.

Thanks for the info:
The battery will go dead after after it's been running and started several times. I load tested the battery and checked the voltage from the battery while t was running the battery tested fine but the voltage read 12.3 from the battery while it was running. I am no expert so I may have missed something along the way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
T

Thanks for the info:
The battery will go dead after after it's been running and started several times. I load tested the battery and checked the voltage from the battery while t was running the battery tested fine but the voltage read 12.3 from the battery while it was running. I am no expert so I may have missed something along the way.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Sounds like an electrical issue. You'll need to get your voltmeter out and start isolating the problem. Could be a bad wire/connection/fuse/fuse link/etc... Sorry there is no one common problem when dealing with electrical issues. Without proper testing you can spend money replacing unnecessary parts.

The Technical manual can be a big help with the electrical schematics and component specific testing. The link below can help find the correct manual. Find you serial number to make certain you get the proper ones.

Manual listing:
All 6x4 Manuals

Report back what you find.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I have it narrowed down but I am no expert so appreciate thr patience. I got a copy of the electrical and tested the stator wires. The ohms test battery disconnected read .001 and the when i grounded it the reading was .001 so I think that was ok. I did tr as ce both wires back to the cover and they seem to be fine
I did an AC test on 20 volts because that's the lowest setting on my meter and it read almost .003 at idle and when I rev the engine If I understand correctly then I need a stator but again i could be missing something
Thanks

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Does the OP care to give an update?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went back and retraced all of the wiring one more time and rechecked the the wires coming out of the stator. Some of the wiring has been changed by a previous owner so not everything is the same as the electrical diagram. Long story short I borrowed a better tester from a friend and I am certain there is very little AC voltage coming from the stator regardless if the engine is at idle or revved up. I ordered a new stator and just waiting for it to arrive and will let you know.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Sounds like a logical path given the low AC voltage. Good luck and post back the results once installed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My apologies for the delay in sending an update on this but the stator took a long time to get to me. When I removed the fly wheel there was a small bolt that I had dropped when attaching the carburetor a few years ago. I thought I had just lost it on the ground but it had apparently found its way onto the fly wheel magnets and had been wearing on the stator wires until they broke. Put the new stator in and works great, battery light comes on at idle but will shut off as soon as it is revved up a little bit.
Thanks fro the help.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Glad you found an issue and reported back.

Any plan on fixing so the light is not on during idle?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I turned up the idle but then it seems to grind going into gear so I am going to play around with it and hopefully find the right combination

·
Super Moderator
2,979 Posts
I turned up the idle but then it seems to grind going into gear so I am going to play around with it and hopefully find the right combination
Have you throughly cleaned the clutch‘s with hot soapy water and or non chlorinated brake cleaner followed by compressed air ? You may need to remove the cover from the primary clutch in order to properly clean the clutch .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi All
Took it apart cleaned it up and turned up the idle just a bit.
All is good
Thanks again

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Glad you’ve been able to fix your issue.

Thanks for posting your results to bring closure to your thread.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts