John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:
new guy here. My father-in-law's health is failing and he has given me his 1999 6X4 Diesel Gator. He bought this in 2014. I believe it has had very little maintenance, and has been sitting with several flat tires for a couple of years.
I finally got a lot of custom wiring removed, got a good battery in it, changed the oil, oil filter and air filters, lubed the chains and greased everything I could find a grease fitting on. The wiring is in pretty bad shape. I finally got the lift motor to work on the dump bed, and the horn honks. That is about it electrically. None of the lights work, but that can wait. The frame is rusted through in a couple of places, so I need to weld in some reinforcing. I have four tires on order. Now that the intro is over, I have a couple of immediate concerns.

1: Park brake. When I got it, the brake lever had no spring tension feel to it. It just pulled up and down with no resistance and the wheels would not turn. The belly pan was about 4 inches deep in mud and chaff. I could not see any of the linkage. I finally cut a 4" x 4" hole in the bottom of the belly pan and kept Pressure washing until I got most of it out of there. Then I saturated all of the moving parts with penetrating oil, and banged and wiggled on all of it until I got the linkage freed up. Extremely difficult to get to. Now the brake lever feels right. I started the engine, and after shifting from forward to reverse and back, and hitting the throttle several times, the brakes broke loose. Drives okay now with two caveats: sometimes when I release the park brake, the brakes do not release, and I have to put it in reverse and hit the gas to get them to free up. Also, when braking at low speeds, the brakes chatter. I'm not certain but I believe it is just the right hand side that is causing the problems. The brakes appear to be enclosed in the transmission case, and I presume are wet brakes. According to the dipstick, the gear case appears to be filled to a proper level with a relatively high viscosity lubricant that looks very clean.

2: radiator fan: I have not run the machine very much but I have never heard this fan come on. I assume that it is thermostatically controlled, but I'm curious if there is any way to test it.

3: service manual. I asked that the local John Deere dealership, and they thought they could order one but the price was over 100 bucks. Is anyone aware of any option where one of these can be downloaded for a more reasonable price?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Mike

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Search the document number and you're likely to find alternative sources to purchase.

The document number for the technical manual and others can be found here: JD MANUAL LOOKUP

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, 200mph

Thanks for the help and the link.

I followed the link and typed in my number. W006X4D011188. It said no documents found.
The label on back of mine has been damaged, so I used the number from the bill of sale. I found a link on here for looking up your year from the ID number. I found the number in that list so I presume it is good. That's how I found out it was a 1999.

Do you have any other suggestions as to how I might proceed?

Thanks again

Mike

·
Super Moderator
3,509 Posts
Hi, 200mph

Thanks for the help and the link.

I followed the link and typed in my number. W006X4D011188. It said no documents found.
The label on back of mine has been damaged, so I used the number from the bill of sale. I found a link on here for looking up your year from the ID number. I found the number in that list so I presume it is good. That's how I found out it was a 1999.

Do you have any other suggestions as to how I might proceed?

Thanks again

Mike
eBay ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I found one on eBay for 70 bucks, but it doesn't really say what year models it covers. Mine is a diesel, which I believe is much less common. The description reads:

John Deere Gator Utility Vehicle 4X2 4X6 Technical Service Repair Manual -TM1518

I tried to look up the correct manual on the John Deere website but it returned no results. Before I blow 70 bucks, could anyone reassure me that this would be the correct manual?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
In the link I provided earlier search by model, 6x4. It returned 10 documents for me.

while the web directions states to enter model, part number, etc, the default is Model. To search otherwise requires changing the option.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the link I provided earlier search by model, 6x4. It returned 10 documents for me.

while the web directions states to enter model, part number, etc, the default is Model. To search otherwise requires changing the option.
Okay. I was entering the vehicle ID number. I didn't know 6X4 was the actual model number. I'm headed to the golf course now. I will try this later. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, All:
still working through all the problems on this 1999 6 x 4 gator. One of the axle units was broken. I have the new housing. Trying to disassemble this old one. I was expecting some kind of a snap ring holding this bearing in, but there isn't anything. I presume this is some sort of press fit or Loctite situation? Do I just stick it in the press and smash it out?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
You might want to consult the illustrated parts for reference. Pictures are crude but they can help. Jdparts.com

Technical manual can come in handy for situations like this

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right. I found one on eBay but was not sure it was the correct one. I think it was $135 at John Deere. I was hoping someone here could tell me if it was the correct one, as it does not state what model it is for. The one on eBay is 70 bucks. Title for the ad is:
John Deere Gator Utility Vehicle 4X2 4X6 Technical Service Repair Manual -TM1518
Any idea if this is the right one?

·
Super Moderator
3,509 Posts
Right. I found one on eBay but was not sure it was the correct one. I think it was $135 at John Deere. I was hoping someone here could tell me if it was the correct one, as it does not state what model it is for. The one on eBay is 70 bucks. Title for the ad is:
Any idea if this is the right one?
That is the correct part number, however can they tell you the publication date ?

Reactions: 200mph

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will post a question and see what they say.
Meanwhile, someone here suggested changing the transmission fluid and adding PEMO to the new stuff to possibly help my sticking, chattering brakes. When I pulled the drain plug on that transmission I was astonished at the condition of the old fluid. See the attached photo. That drain pan was spotless when I put it under there. I'm going to run this for a few hours, drain it and replace it again.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Flushing fluid seems like a very good idea.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts