John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to the forum. I bought a 2000 John Deere Gator 4x2 for my Dad at a local auction. The machine has 1000 hrs and was in pretty rough condition. It had been sitting for awhile but had brand new tires on it so I thought it would be in good running condition. I was able to repair the wiring harness, replace the ignition, install new front shocks, new spark plug, change engine oil, replace fuel filter and get her running. I think it may have had some bad gas in the bottom of the tank so I removed as much as I could and have filled it up w/good gas and hoping that she will smooth out as time goes on. However, the big issue is that it will not stay in forward gear unless you jam it into gear and hold down on it to keep it in and no reverse gear as well. As I read through multiple photos, it seems that the fix is the shift colar kit from Tuff Torque and I have already called them and priced this kit as well as the seal kit. I have not ordered it just yet as I was going to pull the transmission 1st and take a look inside. However, I am just a standard handy man around the house. This will be slightly out of my comfort zone but I think I can pull it off. I have good tools and a shop outside that is well lit. Any information around this would be very helpful= How to pull transmission, how to install kit, anything to look for when attempting this repair? Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
3,772 Posts
Hello, I am new to the forum. I bought a 2000 John Deere Gator 4x2 for my Dad at a local auction. The machine has 1000 hrs and was in pretty rough condition. It had been sitting for awhile but had brand new tires on it so I thought it would be in good running condition. I was able to repair the wiring harness, replace the ignition, install new front shocks, new spark plug, change engine oil, replace fuel filter and get her running. I think it may have had some bad gas in the bottom of the tank so I removed as much as I could and have filled it up w/good gas and hoping that she will smooth out as time goes on. However, the big issue is that it will not stay in forward gear unless you jam it into gear and hold down on it to keep it in and no reverse gear as well. As I read through multiple photos, it seems that the fix is the shift colar kit from Tuff Torque and I have already called them and priced this kit as well as the seal kit. I have not ordered it just yet as I was going to pull the transmission 1st and take a look inside. However, I am just a standard handy man around the house. This will be slightly out of my comfort zone but I think I can pull it off. I have good tools and a shop outside that is well lit. Any information around this would be very helpful= How to pull transmission, how to install kit, anything to look for when attempting this repair? Thanks in advance.
Suggest you pickup a copy of the Technical Manual for your Gator. They can be found sometimes on EBay or through techpubs.deere.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Suggest you pickup a copy of the Technical Manual for your Gator. They can be found sometimes on EBay or through techpubs.deere.com
Just purchased the Disk / CD. Is this something that I can handle on my own or should I be taking this to a dealer. I am just in fear that they are going to want to charge more than the machine is even worth to fix it. The upper shift kit is $260 and I can muster that. Thanks

·
Administrator
3,772 Posts
Just purchased the Disk / CD. Is this something that I can handle on my own or should I be taking this to a dealer. I am just in fear that they are going to want to charge more than the machine is even worth to fix it. The upper shift kit is $260 and I can muster that. Thanks
Its difficult to say whether you can complete the repair or not. Carefully study the manual, after reviewing the material you should be able to make that determination.

Reactions: Albert McMillin
1 - 4 of 4 Posts