John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cargo box power lift on my Gator has stopped working. I thought it was the dash switch but changing it did not help my problem. I have looked for a schematic but have not been successful. Also, cannot raise the box with the unit inoperative. Any suggestions or troubleshooting tips.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Could be a relay and unfortunately i think it's under the bed. There should be a hair pin that holds the cylinder pin in place. One under the bed, and one under the frame. If you can get one of those out, you'll be good to do some checking on it.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Welcome to the forum and good luck on your repair.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all and particularly xcopterdoc for the schematic. It proved invaluable. It turns out my problem was a combination of the lift switch on the dash and dirty connectors. I traced 12 volts to the connector in the rear of my 6x4 coming off the harness, however, I could only get 8.5 volts at the connector to the actuator. I the uncoupled that connector and cleaned it and then did the two relay connectors which were really funky. Cleaned those too and reassembled. Voila! Lift now works fine. Your help saved me a bundle.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Glad to hear you got it going!!!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Xcopter or anyone else who might know this answer, I know this an old post but I am wanting to install a linear actuator but need the "extended" measurement of the lift from middle of upper to middle of lower hole. does anyone have these measurements or know of a DIRECT replacement not through John Deere. These were 660 but are now 770 after 5 yrs of waiting for the price to drop... unbelievable huh?

anyway, please let me know something. Nice Schem Xcopter!

gatorboy65

·
Registered
XUV 550 with Honda GX 630
869 Posts
If nobody answers with the numbers I was considering adding a power lift to my 550 with an aftermarket linear actuator. I used the telescoping shaft from an old umbrella to measure the extended and retracted lengths I would need. Actually I only needed it to find the retracted length as it's easy to measure the extended length when the bed is tilted up. I attached each end of the tubing to the attach points on the Gator. The umbrella shaft would telescope just like the cylinder as I raised and lowered the bed. I scribbled the smaller shaft with a magic marker so when I closed the bed the outer tube scratched off the magic marker indicating the collapsed length.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Keep in mind you will need relays, harness and a switch. I'm sorry I dont have the measurements. Maybe someone with a 6x4 will chime in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dimensions

The actuator on a 1997 6x4 is 14.75 inches when the bed is down and 19.75 with it fully extended, center of hole to center of hole. The labeling indicated Warner Electric model D12-21B5-05JD. Currently Warner Linear has no reference to that number but Thomson does. It indicates 12 volts, something over 1500 pounds of force at 1/2 inch per second and is a special model built for JD with at 5 inch stroke. I have found similar actuators online but the price is still over $500 without wiring or switches.
Ebay suppliers say that a kit for 1990's - 2004 won't work on the newer TH 6X4 models with round headlights. The actuator itself fits and functions on the later models. My only thought is that since the battery is in a different location, the wires might not reach???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Greeting folks, new to the forum. I was having a similar problem with my electric actuator. The suggestion of pulling one of the relays out and putting it in the other helped me lower the actuator that was stuck extended out. I ordered a replacement relay from Mouser for $10 for the one I thought was faulty. Got the replacement relay plugged in, and reconnected power.

Now when I turn the ignition to on, but don't start the gator, and I hit the switch for either up or down, all I hear is a click but the actuator doesn't move at all in either direction. I am not sure if this is the original electric lift or an add on. If I start the gator and let it run, same thing but I can't hear any clicks since the engine noise is there.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Updated 11-15-16
So I was a bit of a bone head. I managed to put the dead relay back on the pigtail. I discovered this after I went to the local JD store, chatted with the service guy for a few. He suggested that I take a 12 V battery and see if the motor turns and extends the arm without the relays attached. This way I eliminate the motor being completely dead. I got home, took one of those jumpstart batteries, put a thin hanging nail in each clamp, powered it on, tapped the +/- on the motor, and it went up. Reversed the contacts, it went down. Ok, motor is good.

Then I reconnected power, and replaced one relay. Turned ignition to on, hit the up button, hit the down button. I got it right the first time through, tossed the dead one away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Brad

Anyone know where to get parts for the John Deere Gator Power Cargo Lift - BM20701? It goes on a 4x2 with rectangle head lights. Mine fell apart at the base and I need the drive belt. Can't find parts for the actuator anywhere.

·
Administrator
3,702 Posts
Anyone know where to get parts for the John Deere Gator Power Cargo Lift - BM20701? It goes on a 4x2 with rectangle head lights. Mine fell apart at the base and I need the drive belt. Can't find parts for the actuator anywhere.
I only know of what is listed thru Deere-

John Deere Gator Electric Dump Kit BM20701

McMasters-Carr may provide some help?

https://www.mcmaster.com/#actuated-valves/=17a32rn

Or perhaps Powersports Nation may have something?

http://store.powersportsnation.com/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts