John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 4x2 gator that I suspect it has a starter problem or something. I cannot get it to start. I want to roll it out from underneath the deck and roll it onto a trailer and take to repairman. My problem is getting it from underneath my porch. Can I remove the belt to get it to roll out from underneath my porch?
How can I free roll this unit?

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
It should roll when in neutral an parking brake off.

Reactions: 1withlegos

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 2001 4x2 gator that I suspect it has a starter problem or something. I cannot get it to start. I want to roll it out from underneath the deck and roll it onto a trailer and take to repairman. My problem is getting it from underneath my porch. Can I remove the belt to get it to roll out from underneath my porch?
How can I free roll this unit?

Thank you for your help.
Hold on there Greg. Does your starter try and turn over or is there just nothing? If the starter is trying to turn over skip the rest. You know it has a neutral safety switch right? My 2001 Trail Gator 4x2 has 4550 hours, and is looser than a cheap prostitute in a port town..... The shift linkage is sloppy but the neutral safety switch can be "engaged" on the top of the trans, yet still not reeeeealy allow starting. I find if I have let it sit for a couple of weeks, or maybe the Granddaughter left it parked up hill, or I have used the parking brake, it can leave the internal brake on? Or maybe its the trans itself stuck in gear? I'm not 100% here, but when the shift lever is not "finding" neutral and I get no starter juice, I sometimes will roll it forward and back to loosen the belt, switch and Forward or reverse gear, then its finds neutral and I get juice. If you can't free roll, it may be internal brake stuck. Drag it around the yard with a tow strap and truck first, and see if the exercise will loosen things up. I say this because There are many times when I first start up after sitting, maybe when baby girl leaves it in gear on a slope, my machine has to warm up a bit and excercise the transmission and the Centrfugal clutch, before it wants to engage and move. I dont know as much as some of these other guys, but I feel certain the rpms need to be ready to run up and the clutches internal and external are ready to work. In short- roll it around with another vehicle and loosen up the works.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts