John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 6x4 Gator (gas) and need some guidance. It sometimes shuts off while driving for no apparent reason, but mostly when coming to a stop. I looked at the fuel filter when it shuts off on its own. The fuel filter appears empty when it does this. Also, from time to time, it will not stop when letting off gas, it still goes forward even after depressing brake pedal hard . The brakes work fine. I usually have to kill it with the ignition switch when it does this. It’s rare when it does it, but it’s scary. It seems to do it when it’s cold outside. It doesn’t matter if it’s cold or warm outside when it shuts off while driving or coming to a stop. The fuel filter was replaced but still have issue. Could it be fuel pump or is it something else? Is it one issue or possibly two separate issues? I’ve seen on the forum that it could also be a clogged screen filter in fuel tank too? Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Empty fuel filter is an indication of a fuel delivery problem. It could be from restricted fuel flow or pump. Some folks will blow air back through the fuel hose to see if the clog clears, but this will only be a temporary solution.

If fuel lines are old, I'd change with new. Fuel lines can fail on the inside or have small cracks that are not always easy to see.

If the fuel tank has contaminates, I prefer to drain the fuel, remove the tank and clean out thoroughly to know I'm starting with the best chance of success.

Your comment about the brakes is confusing (at least to me). Will not stop when letting off gas.... Does this mean the engine is still running at high RPM's or to mean there is no engine braking when letting up off the pedal? Generally the old gators do not have engine braking and will free wheel when off gas pedal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I will start with the fuel lines and go from there. The brakes are not the issue. To clarify, when I let off the gas pedal, the RPM is high enough to keep the machine moving forward and I can’t stop it with the brakes and subsequently have to turn key off to safely stop it.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Suggest you investigate the throttle linkage, cables, return springs, etc. for functionality. Friction is not your friend, so do what you can to make certain everything moves as freely as possible. Also be on the lookup for kinks or bends. Corroded return springs may not yield the return forces they once did.

·
Super Moderator
2,849 Posts
I have a 2001 6x4 Gator (gas) and need some guidance. It sometimes shuts off while driving for no apparent reason, but mostly when coming to a stop. I looked at the fuel filter when it shuts off on its own. The fuel filter appears empty when it does this. Also, from time to time, it will not stop when letting off gas, it still goes forward even after depressing brake pedal hard . The brakes work fine. I usually have to kill it with the ignition switch when it does this. It’s rare when it does it, but it’s scary. It seems to do it when it’s cold outside. It doesn’t matter if it’s cold or warm outside when it shuts off while driving or coming to a stop. The fuel filter was replaced but still have issue. Could it be fuel pump or is it something else? Is it one issue or possibly two separate issues? I’ve seen on the forum that it could also be a clogged screen filter in fuel tank too? Thanks!!
You might consider throughly cleaning both clutch’s use hot soapy water and or non chlorinated brake cleaner followed by compressed air. It is best to remove the clutch’s from the Gator, be sure to remove the “dome” cover on the primary clutch, prior to cleaning. Also you should replace the belt, when reinstalling the clutch’s.

Dirty clutch‘s can cause the Gator to creep when the brakes are depressed, due to sticking clutch’.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Suggest you investigate the throttle linkage, cables, return springs, etc. for functionality. Friction is not your friend, so do what you can to make certain everything moves as freely as possible. Also be on the lookup for kinks or bends. Corroded return springs may not yield the return forces they once did.
I sure will look at those again. They appeared to be working fine when I checked the throttle linkage, springs, etc. I didn’t see any corrosion. The fuel lines may have microscopic tears. I’m sure they are the original fuel lines. I purchased used last year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might consider throughly cleaning both clutch’s use hot soapy water and or non chlorinated brake cleaner followed by compressed air. It is best to remove the clutch’s from the Gator, be sure to remove the “dome” cover on the primary clutch, prior to cleaning. Also you should replace the belt, when reinstalling the clutch’s.

Dirty clutch‘s can cause the Gator to creep when the brakes are depressed, due to sticking clutch’.
Okay, I’ll look I to that as well. Thanks for all the advice!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
It's not overly difficult to remove the primary clutch from engine. If you disassemble to where the large return spring can be removed, it will allow the ability to move the by hand. It will become clear if the cleaning reduces the friction or not.

Not saying it is necessary to remove/partial disassemble to clean as Bradhill suggested, but it will give some tactile feel if friction is reduced or other binding is taking place.

Looking at linkages is not enough. Sometimes it helps to remove a connection point to see if the force is reduced in a relationship to how much linkage was isolated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The primary clutch was sticking badly and was replaced. It runs much smoother from that standpoint. However, I'm still having issues with the engine randomly dying while running. The breather tube to the fuel tank was clogged a bit and was cleared. It did not remedy the issue however. The engine right before it dies sounds similar when you pull the choke when engine is already warm. The fuel lines do not have any leaks along the rubber fuel lines. What next?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts