John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just purchased a 2003 M-Gator to use around the property. All it's capabilities are great for hauling, moving (towing), and dumping. It has trouble cold starting on cooler/freezing days. Is it possible to put in a block heater? I still have to check the glow plugs to see if any are bad. Not sure what condition to look for. Also after warmed up sitting at idle for a while it will go into short fits of rough idle. Have no clue what could cause this. Will try to attach a video. In the video you can see the clutch spinning, I would like to slow the idle to stop that, but unable to find how to adjust. Hopefully more searching on this forum and technical sites may show me how. Is there a reason for having drycell batteries rather than wet or gel batteries?
Thanks for having me on the forum and I look forward to gleaning lots of information and sharing my experience with my Gator.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Poor idle... I would drain all fuel and assess fuel condition first. If contaminated with bacteria, water or other. Clean the tank and replace fuel filter. Refill with known good fuel.

Many issues can be traced to poor fuel quality and/or fuel delivery in diesels.

Hard starting when cold can be from:
Glow plug not functioning (GP failure or power supply)
Low compression
Summer-blend fuel or low cetane rating

Added in edit:
After listening to the video, I'd check compression and valve lash and report back the values.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree with 200mph, After I had my motor out for the restoration it ran terrible for several minutes. Everything was new but I believe it was air in the fuel system till it bled itself out. Keep us posted after you fuel flush and filter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts