John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
starts fine, after 5 to 10 minutes it stops. some of the time it acks like running out of fuel, sometime no warning.

it starts back up and goes for a while again.

tank is full,
i have clean electrial connections
new filter
no air leaks

any ideas are welcomed.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
What did the fuel filter look like? Pickup could be restricted by bacteria or other fuel contaminates.

Small interruption to the fuel solenoid power can cause a quick shut off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What did the fuel filter look like? Pickup could be restricted by bacteria or other fuel contaminates.

Small interruption to the fuel solenoid power can cause a quick shut off.
thanks, i have a new one on the way. will advise

·
Registered
391 Posts
And while you have the filter out, fill the bowl (prime it) with Stanadyne. Give the line and injectors a good clean out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, i have a new one on the way. will advise
doing better with new filter and diesel additive, but still just quits. no set pattern. solenoid seems to be connected and receiving power. and mine has a mechanical pick up pump.

when it does stop, it will fire right back up! any thoughts. thanks

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Any intermittent lose of power to the stop solenoid will cause your problem. When power is restored it will not energize the solenoid until it goes through restart process. an oscilloscope or other means might be needed to see if this voltage is lost intermittently.

Stop solenoid typically has two stages to the coil. During start the main portion of the coil pulls the plunger to the required position. Once in position it takes less power to maintain position, hence the hold portion of the circuit.

Start: both coil sections energized
Run: hold only

Could your diesel be different as described above? Yes… I don’t have a technical manual for this specific model. Do you have one?

If you believe it is fuel related and it can be, I’ve learned to bite the bullet and disassemble the fuel system,dispose of old fuel, clean inside of tank and make certain every passage within fuel system is clean and free flowing. This includes the small passages within the fuel filter housing.

It’s a lot of work, but typically worth doing to fuel supply out. I like to dump fuel into white bucket or similar so it is easy to see if anything is in the fuel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any intermittent lose of power to the stop solenoid will cause your problem. When power is restored it will not energize the solenoid until it goes through restart process. an oscilloscope or other means might be needed to see if this voltage is lost intermittently.

Stop solenoid typically has two stages to the coil. During start the main portion of the coil pulls the plunger to the required position. Once in position it takes less power to maintain position, hence the hold portion of the circuit.

Start: both coil sections energized
Run: hold only

Could your diesel be different as described above? Yes… I don’t have a technical manual for this specific model. Do you have one?

If you believe it is fuel related and it can be, I’ve learned to bite the bullet and disassemble the fuel system,dispose of old fuel, clean inside of tank and make certain every passage within fuel system is clean and free flowing. This includes the small passages within the fuel filter housing.

It’s a lot of work, but typically worth doing to fuel supply out. I like to dump fuel into white bucket or similar so it is easy to see if anything is in the fuel.
thank you so much, sounds like i have some work ahead of me. yes i have the tech manual.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
The tech manual should describe how the stop solenoid works. In the 855D manual they have a section called theory of operation that is helpful in understanding the various systems.
Post back what you find.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i did check the resistaance of the selenoid. the book said there should be 12 to 12.4 ohms. i getting 35. so, maybe that is causing the glitch where it stops running?

·
Registered
391 Posts
There are two solenoids to check. Regardless, your result that's outside the operating range means the solenoid needs replacing. The one for the 855D and 865R should be around 23 ohms for the hold in side. 35 is well outside that range too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts