John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I searched for an answer on this but with no direct hit. with the overnight lows hitting low teens, I think its time to add a block heater. Even with a new battery the 'ol gator really stumbles when cold starting. The glow plugs are working but, overall, cold starts are nasty.

So, has anyone added a coolant heater to the 6x4? Did you do a frost plug heater or a in-line heater (and where did you add it)?

TIA,
JRH

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi all,

I searched for an answer on this but with no direct hit. with the overnight lows hitting low teens, I think its time to add a block heater. Even with a new battery the 'ol gator really stumbles when cold starting. The glow plugs are working but, overall, cold starts are nasty.

So, has anyone added a coolant heater to the 6x4? Did you do a frost plug heater or a in-line heater (and where did you add it)?

TIA,
JRH
Id say original is the way to go thats plug and play and in a good position on the block
The block heater kit runs at about 85 dollars and the adapter kit 90 dollars.
Screenshot_20191130-211408_Chrome_1575141282074.jpg
AR87167 and AM882530 are what youre looking for #7 and #4 on the diagram

Also do check if you are going to order if its the right style plug, iam not in the u.s. so it could give me another plug style

And you could think of a thousand ways to heat the block instead and i could probably diy something myself for under 5 bucks if i needed but thats up to you

·
Super Moderator
3,028 Posts
Be sure to check pricing online at Green Farm Parts and Green Parts Store.

·
Registered
272 Posts
If you go with the JD heater, it's not something you leave plugged in all the time. Get a timer to have it come on a couple hours before you'll fire it up. That way it will last more than a year.

·
Super Moderator
3,028 Posts
If you go with the JD heater, it's not something you leave plugged in all the time. Get a timer to have it come on a couple hours before you'll fire it up. That way it will last more than a year.

Ditto...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks folks. Our power is via solar and there's no way I can leave a block heater on continuously. Esp this time of year when panels happen to be covered with snow. I'll look around a bit more.

·
Super Moderator
3,028 Posts
Best of luck.. keep us updated on your progress

·
Registered
426 Posts
In that case Id look for a small heating element perhaps and put something inline simply to keep the cold out.
It wont preheat as much but atleast itll help the engine get up to temp quicker
If you can store it inside something or under a tent even that will help a little.

Other than that if you wish to use little or no power a real block heater is not an option

If id be in a pinch id even put a small electric heater in the engine bay before starting it.

You might also want to check if you can put in 5w30 oil in in the winter months.
5w30 can be used up to 86 degree outside temp as per john deere's recommendation.
Running a lower weight oil is always better in freezing temps

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
How do you know all of your glow plugs are working correctly? The start up conditions suggest they may not be 100%.

I’d verify each has the proper resistance and verify voltage during activation. I’ve seen a number of times where the wires will verify battery voltage without load but not be able to carry the necessary current to activate the GP properly. A voltage drop test can help pinpoint any weak termination points.

·
Registered
426 Posts
How do you know all of your glow plugs are working correctly? The start up conditions suggest they may not be 100%.

I’d verify each has the proper resistance and verify voltage during activation. I’ve seen a number of times where the wires will verify battery voltage without load but not be able to carry the necessary current to activate the GP properly. A voltage drop test can help pinpoint any weak termination points.
Just take em out and fire em up using jumper cables, when they work youll know quick enough

·
Registered
272 Posts
Before I got into block heaters, I'd throw a tarp over the bed and run a Honda eu1000i on the ground with the exhaust blowing under the engine. That would warm things up in a hard freeze in a couple of hours. Then I had block heaters. Then I built a heated shop where everything is parked inside. Don't need the block heaters anymore, so they just are ornaments. Amazing how sheltered storage saves on Gators and tractor weathering.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Before I got into block heaters, I'd throw a tarp over the bed and run a Honda eu1000i on the ground with the exhaust blowing under the engine. That would warm things up in a hard freeze in a couple of hours. Then I had block heaters. Then I built a heated shop where everything is parked inside. Don't need the block heaters anymore, so they just are ornaments. Amazing how sheltered storage saves on Gators and tractor weathering.
In a previous place we had an outdoor boiler that heated the house, shop and two greenhouses. Dang I loved that unit but not the minimum 8 cords of hard wood it took to heat 7500 sq ft in the sandhills of Nebr. My current shop is a bigger metal pole barn with a high ceiling and virtually no insulation. Any heat put in there disappears quickly. So for my purposes a frost plug heater works the best for an hour or so and, we're in a warmer climate here.

BTW, I do have an AC/DC clamp on for my Fluke. Anyone know approx how many amps a properly functioning glow plug pulls on that Yanmar?

Best,
JRH

1 - 15 of 15 Posts