John Deere Gator Forums banner

2007 6x4 Diesel block heater

8K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  Jrhill 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I searched for an answer on this but with no direct hit. with the overnight lows hitting low teens, I think its time to add a block heater. Even with a new battery the 'ol gator really stumbles when cold starting. The glow plugs are working but, overall, cold starts are nasty.

So, has anyone added a coolant heater to the 6x4? Did you do a frost plug heater or a in-line heater (and where did you add it)?

TIA,
JRH

#2 · (Edited)
Id say original is the way to go thats plug and play and in a good position on the block
The block heater kit runs at about 85 dollars and the adapter kit 90 dollars.
Text Line Font Design Line art

AR87167 and AM882530 are what youre looking for #7 and #4 on the diagram

Also do check if you are going to order if its the right style plug, iam not in the u.s. so it could give me another plug style

And you could think of a thousand ways to heat the block instead and i could probably diy something myself for under 5 bucks if i needed but thats up to you

#18 ·
Id say original is the way to go thats plug and play and in a good position on the block
The block heater kit runs at about 85 dollars and the adapter kit 90 dollars.
View attachment 12341
AR87167 and AM882530 are what youre looking for #7 and #4 on the diagram

Also do check if you are going to order if its the right style plug, iam not in the u.s. so it could give me another plug style

And you could think of a thousand ways to heat the block instead and i could probably diy something myself for under 5 bucks if i needed but thats up to you
Forgive me earlier for asking where the OEM block heater is installed - you had already provided the info. Yup, its entirely accessible. But while in there I fashioned extensions to my DVM so I could get to the screw connections on the GPs. I checked the wiring harness up to and between each glow plug and the wiring and all is just fine. I ohmed the entire circuit with all three GPs and the reading was in micro ohms - or they were all dead. How the heck did that happen? I can reason one failing and maybe another. But all three in a short period of time? So I'm thinking I should change out the relay too. It has tested OK each time. But something happened that took out the GPs in a short time period.

BTW, being off grid we don't have power for electric space heaters and other stuff to pre-heat the critter. And when there is a need it has to be ready to rock'n roll. So putting a few bucks into a block heater, which is the most efficient way of getting heat to where its needed is worth it to us.

Any ideas why all three PGs would fail in a short time frame?

Best, JRH

#3 ·
Be sure to check pricing online at Green Farm Parts and Green Parts Store.

#5 ·
Ditto...

#8 ·
Best of luck.. keep us updated on your progress

#17 ·
I'd will to do so. I bought the OEM adapter and coolant heater yesterday from the green store. The adapter was just silly expensive and the heating element slightly less offensive.

But I got to thinking this AM, there is no two bolt flange around the frost plugs on the Yanmar. Also, I don't want to go through loops and jumps draining the coolant as I've seen problems with purging air. I want to drain enough to get the assy in place without spillage to kill valuable dogs.

So where does this kit get installed? I did a quick look around and didn't see a similar two bolt location? Planning in advance as I doubt it comes with clear install instructions. Also I ordered a set of GPs from NAPA.

#10 · (Edited)
In that case Id look for a small heating element perhaps and put something inline simply to keep the cold out.
It wont preheat as much but atleast itll help the engine get up to temp quicker
If you can store it inside something or under a tent even that will help a little.

Other than that if you wish to use little or no power a real block heater is not an option

If id be in a pinch id even put a small electric heater in the engine bay before starting it.

You might also want to check if you can put in 5w30 oil in in the winter months.
5w30 can be used up to 86 degree outside temp as per john deere's recommendation.
Running a lower weight oil is always better in freezing temps

#11 ·
How do you know all of your glow plugs are working correctly? The start up conditions suggest they may not be 100%.

I’d verify each has the proper resistance and verify voltage during activation. I’ve seen a number of times where the wires will verify battery voltage without load but not be able to carry the necessary current to activate the GP properly. A voltage drop test can help pinpoint any weak termination points.

#13 ·
#14 ·
Before I got into block heaters, I'd throw a tarp over the bed and run a Honda eu1000i on the ground with the exhaust blowing under the engine. That would warm things up in a hard freeze in a couple of hours. Then I had block heaters. Then I built a heated shop where everything is parked inside. Don't need the block heaters anymore, so they just are ornaments. Amazing how sheltered storage saves on Gators and tractor weathering.

#15 ·
In a previous place we had an outdoor boiler that heated the house, shop and two greenhouses. Dang I loved that unit but not the minimum 8 cords of hard wood it took to heat 7500 sq ft in the sandhills of Nebr. My current shop is a bigger metal pole barn with a high ceiling and virtually no insulation. Any heat put in there disappears quickly. So for my purposes a frost plug heater works the best for an hour or so and, we're in a warmer climate here.

BTW, I do have an AC/DC clamp on for my Fluke. Anyone know approx how many amps a properly functioning glow plug pulls on that Yanmar?

Best,
JRH

#20 ·
Oh boy, doesn't that block heater work well. It only got to 26F this AM. Plugged it in for 1.5hr. That was more than needed to break the chill. Only 400 watts and the valve cover was warm to the touch. Popped off immediately. Of course' it also has a new set of GPs. But I couldn't recommend it more.

Longevity. Cold starts suck. If you can, warm your rig up a bit.

#21 ·
Just wanted to reiterate the last post. 30 minutes at 400 watts. It breaks the chill and that's all that's needed. Of course I put in new glow plugs too. But me thinks this is a good longevity thing. I would highly advise the block heater on the diesel. Why cold start it if you don't have too.

#22 ·
Keep in mind that many diesels look at coolant temperature to determine how long the glow plugs stay on.

#24 ·
I know that to be true. But on our 6x4 the GP light says on for a given amount of time after turning the key. It doesn't matter what the temp is - it runs its 10 to 15 seconds and goes out. But the GPs are still (may be) powered even when the dash light goes out for some variable amount of time. If it is quiet you can here the GP relay open in another amount of time after the dash light goes out. I have verified this with a DVM on the GP circuit. For the life of me I can't imaging why you'd be encouraged to turn the key to start while the GP circuit is closed. Add a battery that is not pristine and you are just adding to wear and tear.

Anyway, do the block heater. It's worth it.

#23 ·
This is the winter that isn't. Temps have only gotten to lower teens F a few times. Almost no snow and then no accumulation. I haven't added any anti-gel/conditioner as there is no need.

But the JD block heater for the Yanmar? I love it. Only 300 watts so its a non issue, even being off grid with little sun. I don't need a big amp unit as an hour is more than sufficient in 25-30F weather. Wish I had done it years ago. I did glow plugs (had too) at the same time as the block heater. Of course it kicks right over even if I didn't plug it in to 120vac with the new GPs. But with the heater a minute to get oil pressure up and to it warm slightly up is wonderful. I would absolutely recommend the upgrade. Neither the glow plugs or the block heater are for the faint of heart. For the glow plugs a lot of the stuff above the head needed to come apart but that was needed anyway as there was a fine dust buildup through the intake to clean out and that was the time to adjust the valves anyway. For the block heater a skinny guy with long arms would be recommended. There's not much room in that area behind the engine.

We really rely on the 6x4. Anything that keeps it happy keeps us happy. It doesn't run every day but when needed is of high value.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.