John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first time here and hope you might be able to help. I charge my battery to 100% charged, the gator starts and runs great. The issue I have is when I take it out to clear trails, for example, I'm turning it off & starting it up many times, say 12+, during the day. At some point, it will not start due to the battery being dead. I will also experience the gator start to die while using my winch or headlights....this doesn't happen when the battery is strong (fully charged from my battery charger), but happens only when I have been using the gator, and the battery had obviously drained. While the engine starts to die, it will return to normal if I turn the lights off or stop using the winch. I had the battery tested and there were no issues with it. After continuing to have the same things happen, I bought a new battery....but still having the same issues.

Any thought on what the issue may be and a possible solution? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Check the output by using volt meter on the battery, If it is at 12v or below when running and reved up then there is a charging problem. Could be connections corroded or voltage regulator bad. possible the stator shorted out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
620 I charging problems

I have a 620 I and experienced the same problem with it. The problem is not in the charging system, it is in the fuse blocks under the front dash on the drivers side. It collects moisture when the gator is washed and corrodes the terminal and fuses. I cleaned the fuses and the terminals and it is working correctly now. However I could not get all of the corrosion out of the fuse holders and will be replacing them in the near future. When the fuse holder and fuses are replaced they need to have di-electric grease spread on them to keep the moisture out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your suggestions. Wish I would have found this forum sooner....unfortunately for me, I took the gator to a dealer for fix. The dealer's 1st thought was the alternator or regulator. I'll let you know what they "tell" me the issue was. I plan to bring my questions to you guys for any other future issues. Thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you get your Gator back yet? What was the problem?
My Gator just started doing this exact thing! I fully charged the battery yesterday and it is working great today. I hate getting a dealership involved- I always feel ripped off afterwards. I am going to check all connections and the fuse block before believing it's something major.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Charging Problems

Well...They replaced the regulator and upgraded my gator to a 60A alternator. I'm assuming the regulator replacement would have done the trick but I just don't have the time to work on it myself...my machine is 4 hrs from where I live. After reading a few other blogs, the regulator appears to be the issue in many cases...I would start there if I were to start over. Good Luck! Here's the message from the dealer:

"We found that the voltage regulator was shorted out on the machine, so we replaced it and also installed 60 amp alternator"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Helpfully, Summary.

Ok, a google search lead me to this thread. I am on my second regular and a few batteries later (over the past 5-6 years). Also, a few lessons learned from my Kawasaki Bayou 400. My unit would not crank when a thunder storm overhead: ran for the house on the tractor. I had a few discussion with Deere mechanics. One through out a weird response: wiring between the rear and front. AHH!

Conditions: Gator battery seems to run down when in use. Battery recharges and hold charge in a non-use period and dies after using the unit.

Checks to perform:
-Charge battery: check a few days later with the unit not in use [Tells you that there is not a slow drain of the battery by a amp monster]
-Quick check connections: plugs under bed, and battery connections
-Check regulator/stator (8mm socket):
a. Input to regulator from motor (charging circuit): from the charging coil on the Kawasaki motor, the voltage is AC and is a 3-phase circuit. Measure pin to pin with the motor running: the value should be around ~15 when idling and up to +40 with the motor running high.
b. Output of regulator (charges the battery): I was not able to get a good measurement due to the need for a voltage feedback from the gator circuit. Three wires: red, black, yellow. Red to plus side of battery circuit, black to ground, and yellow to the odd-pin on the ignition switch: when you see the back of the switch--it is the odd-ball. The yellow provide the regulator a voltage value to compare and uses it to regulate the charging values from the output of the regulator.
-Check fuse panel (8mm socket and long 8mm wrench/small pliers): Look at fuses (there is a charging circuit fuse); remove trash from the back of fuse block on the firewall; clean connections, fuses, and block. I used Dermal Tool to clean the fuses blades.
-Check Ignition Switch: remove switch from panel and clean the old grease and clean the plug. The grease was dried up and flakes off. Re-lube with Di-electric grease (I used Kroil and put Di-grease on later).
-Check Charging: Connect a volt meter to battery and monitor the voltages. I looked at the starting volts (12.xx). Look at the drop with key-on, then when activating the starter--it should drop. When cranked, the voltage should climb back to the +12 volts and should run ~14 volts.
-Second charging check: With volt meter still connected. Turn lights on and allow the voltage to drop in the `10-11 volts range, and recheck the crank/start/charge voltage. If the voltage climbs to around 14, then charging though the regular is ok.
-Check Wiring continuity on yellow wire: while the ignition plug is disconnected, connect volt meter to yellow pin and attache to yellow on the output side of the regulator plug. (Continuity mode) This should tell you if you have a broken wire.
-Check switch: on the back of switch, check the red wire location to yellow wire location. When the switch is on, the circuit should close between pins.

Well, I made my checks last night. It took about three hours to guess where the wiring was going or move to the next plug. There were some solutions from others...check fuse bock, check regulator, etc. I get to try it out this weekend.

If you were to ask me where to start today after looking at the issue of dried grease, start with the plug on the back of the Ignition switch..then fuse block (8mm socket)...what a mess. Oh, the tech manual arrives this weekend. i will update if some of my assumption are incorrect.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you!

I had a friend help me diagnose the same problem as rusty fuse block connectors. Top block 2nd fuse from the right evidently had a bad connection. He took it out, cleaned it, re-inserted w/electrical grease and BOOM! It held a charge. At least for a couple of weeks. Installing new fuse block assembly (2) this week. Thanks Tyler!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, first time here and hope you might be able to help. I charge my battery to 100% charged, the gator starts and runs great. The issue I have is when I take it out to clear trails, for example, I'm turning it off & starting it up many times, say 12+, during the day. At some point, it will not start due to the battery being dead. I will also experience the gator start to die while using my winch or headlights....this doesn't happen when the battery is strong (fully charged from my battery charger), but happens only when I have been using the gator, and the battery had obviously drained. While the engine starts to die, it will return to normal if I turn the lights off or stop using the winch. I had the battery tested and there were no issues with it. After continuing to have the same things happen, I bought a new battery....but still having the same issues.

Any thought on what the issue may be and a possible solution? Thanks in advance.
I have a 620I that I have fought for over a year with charging problems. New stator, new regulator all to no avail. Kept reading post about fuse box and trash behind it but kept ignoring it. finally I decided to removal fuse box to inspect, no trash behind box. Prior to taking box off I put a voltage meter on battery and had machine running and it was only push 12 volts and steady dropping. I noticed at one point while moving fuse box around the meter jumped up to 14 volts and back down to 12 and up again to 14. Long story short I found that the prongs that the 15amp fuse sits in for the charging system had spread open a little making a bad connection. I stuck a small screw driver in there and mashed them closed a little and low and behold no more charging problem. Who the hell would have guessed. Hope this fixes all your problems. Oh FYI get ready to cuss removing fuse box, 2 nuts on the backside in fender weld needs to be held with 8mm will unscrewing from the inside. good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts