John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

After a long search on the Internet, I've pretty much decided to go with the following wheels and tires to upgrade my Gator ride . . . haven't placed an order yet, and would appreciate opinions on my choices. Wheels are a bit pricey for me and the radial tires have an 8" width that I am not sure will work on the 6" wheels . . . or will they be OK? Opinions.

wheels:
https://recstuff.com/trailer-tires-wheels/trailer-wheels/15-inch-trailer-rims/15-x-6-5-4-5-aluminum-t08-black-matte-w-machined-lip-t08-56545mbml/

Tires:
https://recstuff.com/trailer-tires-wheels/trailer-tires/15-inch/st205-75r15-load-range-d-globaltrax-trailer-tire/

FredSG

·
Super Moderator
2,704 Posts
According to the fitment guidance on the wheels, you should be good to go.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bradhill,

Thanks for taking the time to respond . . .

So you don't see any problem with the 6" wheel and the 8" tire width difference? I'm not a tire person meaning I don't understand how the two different sizes work together . . . can you explain?

Thanks,

FredSG

·
Super Moderator
2,704 Posts
2011 Gator 825i 15" wheel and Radial Tire Upgrade

You’re welcome, My suggestion would be to contact the vendor at the links you provided for an explanation on their fitment guidance they have posted on their website.

My comments were made from the information on your links.

·
Registered
101 Posts
FredSG, tire tread width is most often wider than the rim width. As one example, if your 825i Gator came with the aluminum wheel package, the rear rim was 8" wide, and the tire was 11" wide.

If you look at the tire specs in the link you posted, you can see that the tire is specified to be mounted on 5" or 6" rims.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bradhill and PAoutdoorsman,

Thanks for the reply. I saw that tire width listing and was still curious as to how that worked. having a tire width wider than the wheel itself . . . but I'm no tire expert . . . and as long as the combination will fit on my Gator I'd be OK with that combination.

Thanks again for your replies and for taking the time.

FredSG

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just search this site for "street tires". I have a pretty detailed post with pictures and things to consider.
So I know that I read it a year or so back when I put a set of 15" rims and 215 tires on my 825i.

Can you link which thread it was in that had all the information. I tried searching "street tires" and I cannot locate the correct thread in there.

I put a set of 15x5 aluminum trailer wheels with as set of 225 BFG Mud Terrains on my gator last summer (i believe, might have been two summers now?) Love the ride. Only think I don't like is the look. The 215 on the 15x5 rim is super skinny and tend to cut ruts in mud. It would be a much better fit for a 205 i believe.

What I am trying to find was the offset and bore information again. I know you said 3.19 for the bore, but I also thought you had a two digit number like the 83 I am seeing on the rims I am looking at?

What I am looking to purchase now is a 15x7.5 / 5 on 4.5 / 83 bore / 3.8 backspacing / with -12 offset

Before I do it, I am trying to find your thread that you had your info listed.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hello,

After a long search on the Internet, I've pretty much decided to go with the following wheels and tires to upgrade my Gator ride . . . haven't placed an order yet, and would appreciate opinions on my choices. Wheels are a bit pricey for me and the radial tires have an 8" width that I am not sure will work on the 6" wheels . . . or will they be OK? Opinions.

wheels:
15x6 5/4.5 Aluminum T08 Black Matte w/Machined Lip - T08-56545MBML

Tires:
ST205/75R15 Load Range D - GlobalTrax Trailer Tire

FredSG
A 205 will fit just fine on a 6" rim. I have had a 215 on a 5 inch wide rim for a while now.

·
Super Moderator
2,704 Posts
So I know that I read it a year or so back when I put a set of 15" rims and 215 tires on my 825i.

Can you link which thread it was in that had all the information. I tried searching "street tires" and I cannot locate the correct thread in there.

I put a set of 15x5 aluminum trailer wheels with as set of 225 BFG Mud Terrains on my gator last summer (i believe, might have been two summers now?) Love the ride. Only think I don't like is the look. The 215 on the 15x5 rim is super skinny and tend to cut ruts in mud. It would be a much better fit for a 205 i believe.

What I am trying to find was the offset and bore information again. I know you said 3.19 for the bore, but I also thought you had a two digit number like the 83 I am seeing on the rims I am looking at?

What I am looking to purchase now is a 15x7.5 / 5 on 4.5 / 83 bore / 3.8 backspacing / with -12 offset

Before I do it, I am trying to find your thread that you had your info listed.
This might help?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Brad, Admin said they moved it from General to the Tire forum but I never saw it again. I can't get at it either. Maybe it's in your cache. If so, can you fix it so it can be seen again?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Fred, I use 225/15/70 on an aluminum rim. It's definitely wider than the 205/75s I have on my older Gator. Make sure you stick with ~27 diameter so your speedometer reads correctly. Go larger if you decide to do lifts. Re: the wider rims. My post talked about the stock offsets which are positive. Going up to those limits presumably would be fine. It's just that trailer wheels typically have no offset. BTW the no offset configuration is kinder to your hub as you don't have an additional torsion component to the hub face. However with the amount of positive offset, JD amply ensured the hub and related components could handle that component.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CaptSeabee,

I, too, searched all over for your original post and couldn't find it . . . I did print it out when I found it when I went looking for it months ago . . . but now, its disappeared!

I wasn't able to buy my Gator upgrade wheels and tires. That money saved went to purchase a hydraulic rear blade for my tractor so the tires and wheels will have to wait a bit.

I'd like your thoughts on what I settled on, if you don't mind. Here is what I plan on getting when my funds "recover".

GlobalTrax Tires
ST205/75R15 Load Range D - GlobalTrax Trailer Tire (from RecStuff.com)
Sendel Wheels
15x6 5/4.5 Aluminum T08 Black Matte w/Machined Lip - T08-56545MBML (from RecStuff.com)
LUGER 3K 7/16-20 Tapered Lug Bolts
3.19" Metal Alloy Center Cap - Black Matte Finish CCS009 (from RecStuff.com)

Your opinion please . . . any changes to what I selected?

Thanks,

FredSG

·
Registered
227 Posts
IMG_20190402_190009605.jpg I have that exact rim on the 865R. However, you MUST get 20 of the recessed beveled lug bolts because the JD ones will grind the head into the side of the bevel. I think the JD20 bolts are 7/16-20. I had a great link on my prior post on where to buy them, but Admin deleted it while trying to move it. I think I got them from RecStuff but see my order no longer has the bolts on it, just the rims. The tire is OK but you can do far better with a standard or aggressive tread car or light truck tire. Trailer tires are made to roll in a line, not necessarily grab corners. I just had Les Schwab put a decent M/S tire on. The picture is 225R-70-15s. The diameter is 27.5 inches. Not much clearance to the back brush guard rail. If you do 205s, then you need 75R to get the 27 inch diameter. I like the 225s a bit more. Also make sure you get a front end alignment. If you can't find the lug bolts, then consider going with a steel rim where the JD bolts will work fine. Oh, Les Schwab does warrant their tires on mileage. There's no way they'll do the 50,000 or whatever with normal wear on the Gator. So far they're looking like they'll make 10,000 or for me, somewhere between 3-4 years.

·
Registered
81 Posts
View attachment 13225 I have that exact rim on the 865R. However, you MUST get 20 of the recessed beveled lug bolts because the JD ones will grind the head into the side of the bevel. I think the JD20 bolts are 7/16-20. I had a great link on my prior post on where to buy them, but Admin deleted it while trying to move it. I think I got them from RecStuff but see my order no longer has the bolts on it, just the rims. The tire is OK but you can do far better with a standard or aggressive tread car or light truck tire. Trailer tires are made to roll in a line, not necessarily grab corners. I just had Les Schwab put a decent M/S tire on. The picture is 225R-70-15s. The diameter is 27.5 inches. Not much clearance to the back brush guard rail. If you do 205s, then you need 75R to get the 27 inch diameter. I like the 225s a bit more. Also make sure you get a front end alignment. If you can't find the lug bolts, then consider going with a steel rim where the JD bolts will work fine. Oh, Les Schwab does warrant their tires on mileage. There's no way they'll do the 50,000 or whatever with normal wear on the Gator. So far they're looking like they'll make 10,000 or for me, somewhere between 3-4 years.
I believe that I have it wrote down at work where you recommend to get the tapered lug bolts from when I got mine. I will look incase admin can’t find that other thread.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi CaptSeabee,

Hope you don't mind but I scanned your original post and posted it below. Would you please name a better fit tire for me for my 825i Gator? Also, not sure how to understand this comment you made -
"If you do 205s, then you need 75R to get the 27 inch diameter". Could you explain better, please, as I am not a tire man?

Thanks,
FredSG

·
Registered
81 Posts
Also, not sure how to understand this comment you made -
"If you do 205s, then you need 75R to get the 27 inch diameter". Could you explain better, please, as I am not a tire man?
"205" is the width of the tire - 205 millimeters wide

"75" is the aspect ratio - is it a percentage of the width of the tire - so it is 75% of the width of the tire (bigger the number the more side wall)

So a 205/75 on a 15 inch rim is 27.1" tall x 8.1" wide
But a 205/70 on a 15 inch rime is 26.3" tall x 8.1" wide

A 215/75 on a 15 inch rim is 27.7" tall x 8.5" wide
A 215/70 on a 15 inch rim is 26.9" tall x 8.5" wide

It is all math. You need to know that to convert mm to inches, 25.4 is your multiplier.

So your 205 width tire divided by 25.4 to convert to inches = 8.07" wide tire (rounded to first decimal so 8.1")

To find the height the of the tire, the formula goes like this.

For a 205/70R15 = (26.3 tall x 8.1 wide tire)

205 (width) x .70 (aspect ratio) = 143.5MM - this is the height of your sidewall (section height to a tire guy)
You have two side walls (top of tire and bottom) so multiply 153.5 x 2 = 287MM
Add your 15" rim (15" x 25.4 = 381MM
381MM (rim) + 287MM (top and bottom sidewall) = 668MM / 25.4 = 26.29 or (26.3 rounded as I said above)

Same thing for a 205/75R15 = (27.1 tall x 8.1 wide tire)

205MM x .75 = 153.75MM
153.75MM x 2 = 307.50MM
Add 15" rim 381MM
307.5MM + 381MM = 688.5MM / 25.4 = 27.1

Hope that makes sense?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi CaptSeabee,

Hope you don't mind but I scanned your original post and posted it below. Would you please name a better fit tire for me for my 825i Gator? Also, not sure how to understand this comment you made -

View attachment 13226

Thanks,
FredSG
Awesome! That was the post I was looking for. Thanks

1 - 20 of 41 Posts