John Deere Gator Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,692 Posts
Brad, Admin said they moved it from General to the Tire forum but I never saw it again. I can't get at it either. Maybe it's in your cache. If so, can you fix it so it can be seen again?
I moved from archive back to Tire and Wheel section

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hello,

Thought I'd add this graphic on wheel and tire size . . . maybe it will be of some help to others like me who don't understand tire lingo!

FredSG

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Hello again,

I guess I'm being a PEST, but need more clarification on correct tires for a 15" wheel. The suggested 225/70R/15 tire has an overall diameter of 27.4". The ALSO suggested 205/75R/15 tire has an overall diameter of 27.1".

When I just do an eyeball and tape measure of the front end of my (2011) Gator 825i I think I see a "fitment problem", especially when I look at my installed fender guards. It doesn't look like I will have enough clearance when turning my wheels too sharply.

Can anyone allay my fears? As a last resort I will have to buy one tire and one wheel just to see if the fit will be OK . . . rather expensive way to find out. My other issue is that it will have to be done online, as my nearest tire shop is over two hours away, so shopping online WITH THE CORRECT INFORMATION is the most convenient way for me to shop and get this done.

So, one more time HELP!

FredSG

·
Registered
223 Posts
The correct tires for a 15" wheel is whatever the rim manufacturer specifies, which is typically a range of tires. You need to be concerned with what tire will fit your Gator. Either works fine as you set the speedometer in the display for 27" tires so it reads correctly. The 0.3" difference between the 205 and the 225 isn't enough of a difference to make a difference. In fact, different tire brands and models will range from 26.8 to 27.8". I talk about losing front clearance long before rear clearance. That's why the 29-30" crowd has to go with 2" lifts to make it all work. Looking at your Op Manual, the Maxxis Bighorn 27" is the largest with some of the stock options being 25". Remember, your clearance is determined by if you have room for 1/2 the diameter increase. From 25-27", that's one inch. The closest you hit is the front panel by the door. Turn your current wheels out and measure the clearance. Realize your suspension goes pretty much straight up/down. Look at the current tire diameter. It will either be 25, 26, or 27" inch depending on what you have. There should be ample clearance for 27" because JD put 27" tires on them. If your mud guard is JD, you should still be OK but go ahead and measure it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I put a set of 15x5 aluminum trailer wheels with as set of 225 BFG Mud Terrains on my gator last summer (i believe, might have been two summers now?) Love the ride. Only think I don't like is the look. The 215 on the 15x5 rim is super skinny and tend to cut ruts in mud. It would be a much better fit for a 205 i believe.
Need to edit this post. I posted that I installed a 225 BFG accidentally in the first line. This is not correct, it is a 215 as I posted throughout the rest of my posts.

@FredSG thanks for catching that for me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hello again,

I think I'm almost there with my WHEEL and TIRE selection. I've posted my choices below and would like your opinion on the tires I've selected. If you think there are better tires out there for me to consider, let me know. Here is my information:

THE WHEEL

15x6 5/4.5 Aluminum T08 Black Matte w/Machined Lip - T08-56545MBML - Info on the wheel appears below:

Size: 15" Rim Width: 6" Finish: Machined Bolt Pattern: 5 on 4.5" Center Hole Dia.: 3.19" Load Capacity: 2200lbs Wheel Offset: 0mm Center Cap Size: 3.19" Tire Size: 225/75-15 and 205/75-15 Back Spacing: 3 1/2" Construction: Aluminum PSI Rating: 60 PSI Color: Matte Black Painted w/ Machined Lip Style: T08 Center Cap:

THE TIRE OPTIONS and information about each appear below. If you know of a better option, let me know, please.

(1) The 205/75R15 General Grabber AT 2 has a diameter of 27.1", a width of 8", mounts on a 15" rim and has 767 revolutions per mile. It weighs 24.3 lbs, has a max load of 1609 lbs, a maximum air pressure of 44 psi, a tread depth of 13/32" and should be used on a rim width of 5.5-7".

(2) The 225/70R15 General Grabber AT 2 has a diameter of 27.4", a width of 9", mounts on a 15" rim and has 758 revolutions per mile. It weighs 30.5 lbs, has a max load of 1764 lbs, a maximum air pressure of 44 psi, a tread depth of 16/32" and should be used on a rim width of 6-7.5".

(3) The 215/70R15 BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport has a diameter of 26.8", a width of 8.7", mounts on a 15" rim and has 774 revolutions per mile. It weighs 26 lbs, has a max load of 1653 lbs, a maximum air pressure of 44 psi, a tread depth of 9.5/32" and should be used on a rim width of 5.5-7".

Thanks for your patience with me on this Gator purchase.

FredSG

·
Super Moderator
2,692 Posts
Hello again,

I think I'm almost there with my WHEEL and TIRE selection. I've posted my choices below and would like your opinion on the tires I've selected. If you think there are better tires out there for me to consider, let me know. Here is my information:

THE WHEEL

15x6 5/4.5 Aluminum T08 Black Matte w/Machined Lip - T08-56545MBML - Info on the wheel appears below:

Size: 15" Rim Width: 6" Finish: Machined Bolt Pattern: 5 on 4.5" Center Hole Dia.: 3.19" Load Capacity: 2200lbs Wheel Offset: 0mm Center Cap Size: 3.19" Tire Size: 225/75-15 and 205/75-15 Back Spacing: 3 1/2" Construction: Aluminum PSI Rating: 60 PSI Color: Matte Black Painted w/ Machined Lip Style: T08 Center Cap:

THE TIRE OPTIONS and information about each appear below. If you know of a better option, let me know, please.

(1) The 205/75R15 General Grabber AT 2 has a diameter of 27.1", a width of 8", mounts on a 15" rim and has 767 revolutions per mile. It weighs 24.3 lbs, has a max load of 1609 lbs, a maximum air pressure of 44 psi, a tread depth of 13/32" and should be used on a rim width of 5.5-7".

(2) The 225/70R15 General Grabber AT 2 has a diameter of 27.4", a width of 9", mounts on a 15" rim and has 758 revolutions per mile. It weighs 30.5 lbs, has a max load of 1764 lbs, a maximum air pressure of 44 psi, a tread depth of 16/32" and should be used on a rim width of 6-7.5".

(3) The 215/70R15 BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport has a diameter of 26.8", a width of 8.7", mounts on a 15" rim and has 774 revolutions per mile. It weighs 26 lbs, has a max load of 1653 lbs, a maximum air pressure of 44 psi, a tread depth of 9.5/32" and should be used on a rim width of 5.5-7".

Thanks for your patience with me on this Gator purchase.

FredSG
Are all of tires 8 ply ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
4 Ply - they are both offroad and paved road tires, unless my research is all wrong . . . I still have the more aggressive Gator stock tires . . . but travel more on semi-paved, paved and hard dirt roads.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I like the 225s over my 205s. Looks like a nice setup although I'm more impressed you're going with the same rims I have. Tire pressure which is normal for a jeep will likely be a touch too stiff for a gator. I run mine at 30. Don't forget the dust caps and the new lug bolts.

·
Super Moderator
2,692 Posts
I like the 225s over my 205s. Looks like a nice setup although I'm more impressed you're going with the same rims I have. Tire pressure which is normal for a jeep will likely be a touch too stiff for a gator. I run mine at 30. Don't forget the dust caps and the new lug bolts.
Ditto with CaptSeabee’s comments, I would add metal valve stems and have the tires/wheels balanced.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hello,

Just when I think I'm all set with my tire and wheel choices - I was going with the General Grabber AT2 tire - I get this Email from the nearest tire dealer in my area some 2 hours away from me.

"FredSG,
The General AT2 has been discontinued and replaced by the similar A/TX.
Unfortunately, when this change was made, General also stopped making all
P-metric sizes except for P265/70R17 and P225/75R16 sizes. The rest of the
tire line concentrates on light truck sizes. There has been talk that the
old tire is going to comeback in many of the old P-metric sizes but to date
an announcement has not been made. When and if they do resume P-metric, I
highly doubt you will see your size produced since it's an old size and does
not have much of a demand anymore.
The AT2 is a unique tread style similar to the BFG T/A KO but BFG does not
make it in your size either. It might be time to look for a different tread
style unless you can find someone with some really old stock somewhere."

Any other tire suggestions if I can't find the General AT2 somewhere else?

FredSG

·
Super Moderator
2,692 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Need more advice . . . boy it this getting difficult.

I sent the following Email to my local tire dealer:

"Sorry to be a pest, but I don't want to make any tire-wheel mistakes considering how much a mistake would cost me. A short time ago I received an Estimate Invoice # 131689 from your salesman for the installation of 4 General Grabber P225/70/15 tires. Does this mean you can get those particular tires once I ask you to order them for me? And, I'd probable want 5, as a spare would be needed, too.

The Grabber tire information indicates it should be used on a rim width of 6-7.5". This is the rim I mentioned to you in a previous Email. The Rim width is 6" . . . so is the rim fitment OK. Also,
the wheel information indicates that tire sizes 225/75/15 or 205/75/15 will mount on the 15" wheel I selected. Will the difference between 70 on the Grabber as compared to 75 on the wheel information create any problems when mounting?
I just have to be sure that I don't exceed the 27.4" on the tires overall diameter.

So this is the reply from the tire dealer.

Fred,
Yes, we found some older inventory from a vendor we seldom use. They have the quantities you are asking for. The spec says that the Grabber overall diameter is 27.4”. Everything should work but I cannot offer a guarantee that it will since this is going on an application modification and not for what the tire was originally intended for. We would be happy to order the tires, but will need a 50% non refundable down payment before we proceed. Please call us if you want to start an order. Delivery would be 4-5 business days after order is placed.
Thanks,

So should I proceed . . . I would be ordering 5 tires and 5 wheels and the necessary bolts and center cap, too??

FredSG

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mine are 27.5 AND I have the steel brush guards which are more intrusive than fender guards as you saw in my picture. They should be fine for fit on the rim and the Gator. Probably the only difference is mine are Les Schwab offerings which I've destroyed two which were under their warranty and replaced free of charge. It was nail in sidewall type stuff.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Mine are 27.5 AND I have the steel brush guards which are more intrusive than fender guards as you saw in my picture. They should be fine for fit on the rim and the Gator. Probably the only difference is mine are Les Schwab offerings which I've destroyed two which were under their warranty and replaced free of charge. It was nail in sidewall type stuff.
Captseabee,

Out of curiosity, what were the tires you purchased from Les Schwab . . . and could you post your photo again, so I can have a look see. Here is a shot of my Gator front with guards.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Look at page 1 on this thread for the picture. The LS tires are their decent highway radials as they work great for road, gravel, etc. Deep mud would be a problem, but I avoid it. I went with lower rolling resistance because I have a diesel. 23HP isn't anywhere near what the gas models do. LS also did the front end alignment. You have to take them the JD specs for it. The tech manual has that. If you don't have a manual, I can give you what works for the 855D/865R as they are likely the same. JD wouldn't put a different suspension in a gas vs. diesel.

·
Super Moderator
2,692 Posts
Captseabee,

Out of curiosity, what were the tires you purchased from Les Schwab . . . and could you post your photo again, so I can have a look see. Here is a shot of my Gator front with guards.
a little help....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
It would be a lot easier just to name the tire by brand name . . . after magnifying the photo, it appears to be the Venezia Classic 787 tire??? The rim diameter is 27.4" . . . same as the General Grabber AT2 I was looking at . . . I like to be sure, and absolutely positive about such things . . . but, both my local dealer and Captseabee indicated "should" be OK . . . referring to mounting the General on the wheel I selected . . . I'll get this done eventually . . . I hope.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts