John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I have a 2012 855D XUV (2445hrs) with manual steering. The steering rack appears to have let go. I turn the wheel either way and the there is a clunking and little front wheel movement. Is it common for the racks to fail? It says in the TM that they cannot be serviced, is this for real? Is there a better replacement than a JD original? I see on eBay there are some listed but out of stock. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
There really isn't much in the way of aftermarket parts for JD. JD makes it a point to limit suppliers from participating in the aftermarket as part of their Supplier agreement. By limiting replacement parts one has to buy the more expensive complete assembly... A double win for JD corporate.

Options:
1. JD Dealer of your choice (Approximately $380)
2. Find a used one
3. Research if one from another brand will work

Report back what you do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There really isn't much in the way of aftermarket parts for JD. JD makes it a point to limit suppliers from participating in the aftermarket as part of their Supplier agreement. By limiting replacement parts one has to buy the more expensive complete assembly... A double win for JD corporate.

Options:
2. Find a used one

Report back what you do.
Thanks 200mph

Options:
2. Find a used one

Report back what you do.
Thanks 200mph, will have a discussion with the dealer first, don't expect much joy there though. Will let you know. Cheers

·
Registered
201 Posts
Check to see if the steering shaft is worn . There is a bolt and nut holding shaft at the input of steering rack ,the shaft gets worn not allowing it to steer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check to see if the steering shaft is worn . There is a bolt and nut holding shaft at the input of steering rack ,the shaft gets worn not allowing it to steer.
Hi jd772. The shaft is ok, It's turning the input shaft on the steering box.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You took the bolt out that connects the shaft to the steering rack and checked the splines. Have replaced many shafts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You took the bolt out that connects the shaft to the steering rack and checked the splines. Have replaced many shafts.
Hi jd772, I went and rechecked the shaft. The bolt through the bottom u joint was slogged out. I lifted the u joint up to the correct position and replaced the bolt and tightened it. The steering is back to what it should be. I thank you very much for your advice. Cheers, TomJ.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks 200mph

Thanks 200mph, will have a discussion with the dealer first, don't expect much joy there though. Will let you know. Cheers
Hi 200mph. I found the bolt on the bottom u joint was slogged out, realigned the u joint and replaced the bolt and the steering is back to normal. Wasn't looking forward to bill from the dealer - no doubt they'll get me on something in the future though. Thanks for your help. Cheers, Tom

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Glad you were able to fix cheaply and easily.

Picture of joint and offending bolt may help others who reference your thread in the future. Some folks comprehend photos better than the written word.

Thanks for posting your findings and adding to the quality of posts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, nice to save some money for a change!!
Have now attached pictures although the radiator, fan etc. all back in place. The first picture is of the bolt with the worn part shown and the second is of the u joint on top of the steering rack. You can see the end of the bolt sticking out of the nut at the bottom of the u joint.

Happy New Year.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, nice to save some money for a change!!
Have now attached pictures although the radiator, fan etc. all back in place. The first picture is of the bolt with the worn part shown and the second is of the u joint on top of the steering rack. You can see the end of the bolt sticking out of the nut at the bottom of the u joint.

Happy New Year.
Tom J, I have a similar problem on my 2012 855D gatror, can I remove the bottom linkage attached to the steering rack and power steering without dismantling the power steering unit? The dealer saoid iot is likely that the linkage splines are striped and the rack should be ok.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tom J, I have a similar problem on my 2012 855D gatror, can I remove the bottom linkage attached to the steering rack and power steering without dismantling the power steering unit? The dealer saoid iot is likely that the linkage splines are striped and the rack should be ok.
Hi Russell, my Gator has manual steering so don't know about the power steering models. I lifted the shift up enough to check the splines though. Sorry, but not much help for you I guess.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Russell, my Gator has manual steering so don't know about the power steering models. I lifted the shift up enough to check the splines though. Sorry, but not much help for you I guess.
Thanks for the reply, I'll use some trial and error to see if I can get if off without disturbing the power steering module.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts