John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this machine recently used from an auction with 300 hours on it. Battery wasn't charging and was jerky on takeoff. Had JD replace belt and perform service on it (spark plugs, filter, oil, etc). JD tech said the clutches looked fine. JD found the connector to the stator was burned. The stator was working. They wanted to replace the entire ignition wiring harness for some crazy amount of money. I replaced the connector with a watertight automotive connector I already had and the battery charging issue is gone. Also found the famous fuse block in the storage area was causing electrical issues. Replaced it with a marine grade fuse panel and the machine was running great. Took it to Colorado for 10 day trip riding trails around Taylor Park area in July and it did great the whole time. Just wish it was not so loud.

I haven't been using it much until now and it now has rough idle and stalls/dies until it warms up. Once it is warm, it still has rough idle but doesn't stall to the point that the engine dies. Low and mid range of rpms, it has low power and feels like it is missing. WOT it seems to run fine and pulls hard. Both exhaust pipes get warm so both cylinders are working. I cleaned the battery/wire terminals and checked the wiring to make sure all connections are tight. I wouldn't think the spark plugs would be the problem since I just changed them.

Just looking for some ideas on other things to check and directions on how to check them if available. Local JD dealer said they really don't work on these much so don't want to throw money at that. I have searched through this forum some but didn't find other suggestions for this issue.

Thanks.

· Registered
2,936 Posts
What do the spark plugs look like after running it in the poor operating range for 5-10 minutes? Are they wet/dry, sooty or overly clean, etc. (pull plugs right after the poor running condition to get a better visual)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts