John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering getting a new XUV 590 (i guess that is a good idea) while my dealer says it is two months before he gets any. Perhaps the model year is changing over?

I am would be trading in a 2012 XUV 550 with all its common issues and curious on what you guys think the trade is even worth?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am considering getting a new XUV 590 (i guess that is a good idea) while my dealer says it is two months before he gets any. Perhaps the model year is changing over?

I am would be trading in a 2012 XUV 550 with all its common issues and curious on what you guys think the trade is even worth?

Thanks!
I did the same thing you are going to do back in 2018 and you will be having the same issues with the suv590 as you did with the suv550,I had the clutch on the 590 rebuilt and and now I am having problems with the front differential on the 590. The clutch is the reason for me trading in 2018 for the 590, I don't think you be any happier.

·
Registered
750 Posts
What problems are you having with your 550? Have you sent your primary clutch to The Clutch Doctor?

I would not go for another Gator. Deere just doesn't seem to put much effort into fixing problems. Instead when a Gator like the 550's reputation gets bad enough they discontinue it and bring an almost identical machine out under a new number and with many/most of the same problems. Deere also puts all their vendors under strict no compete contracts so it's really hard to get parts without buying them from Deere.

As for trading in the trade in or used value on a 550 is pitiful. Even Deere doesn't offer much for trade in. If you do want to switch machines I'd strongly consider more popular brands that have more aftermarket support like Polaris, Artic Cat, Can-Am...

·
Registered
12 Posts
What problems are you having with your 550? Have you sent your primary clutch to The Clutch Doctor?

I would not go for another Gator. Deere just doesn't seem to put much effort into fixing problems. Instead when a Gator like the 550's reputation gets bad enough they discontinue it and bring an almost identical machine out under a new number and with many/most of the same problems. Deere also puts all their vendors under strict no compete contracts so it's really hard to get parts without buying them from Deere.

As for trading in the trade in or used value on a 550 is pitiful. Even Deere doesn't offer much for trade in. If you do want to switch machines I'd strongly consider more popular brands that have more aftermarket support like Polaris, Artic Cat, Can-Am...
[/Q

·
Registered
12 Posts
I appreciate the reply, I checked on the reviews for Polaris and Honda. The only thing I saw on Polaris negative was they had a call back on the fuel lines being real close to the drive belt,if bell breaks it could hit the fuel line and could cause a fire, that is the only negative I saw. The Honda has a Pioneer 700-4 model but it is direct drive with no belt and saw no negative reviews. I didn't see a 4 seats for riding 4 people on the Honda, if you know of one please let me know. The 590 John Deere I have now I just had clutch Doctor rebuilt clutch, it works great rebuilt 2 months ago, now I have a front end differential problem. What bothers me what will be the next problem, I only have 200hrs on this 590 purchased or traded in 550 model for it March 2018.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

it has been the same problems everyone else has. Around 200 hours, on it's third clutch from the dealer when it was under warranty. Have not sent the clutch to the clutch doctor, but have read good things about that. Now a head gasket is blown. They did also replace the shift cables when those were freezing up. When I replace things I try to upgrade, so that was the thoughts of the 590. So disappointing to hear that the 590 is also having clutch issues. I have a JD 3046R, which has been a pretty good tractor, but the R series are their premium grades. The dealer generally treats me well so I was wanting to stick with a John Deere brand, but definitely don't want to repeat all those issues all over again. So sounds like a different brand or just end of rebuilding my 550. I am willing to do it myself, but it is a major time suck to put into a machine that has been so disappointing.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Nothing like continuing to pay for poor quality. It’s no wonder JD does not care to improve when the Greene folks continue to purchase.
Perhaps another brand will at least have a longer warranty or have a greater aftermarket presence.

·
Registered
XUV835M
3 Posts
I am a first time JD customer, just doled out a fortune for an 835m. I'm a motorcyclist, and have owned two ATV's. Having had to do quite a bit of work on this machine new, to make accessories installed by factory and dealer safe and tidy, I can say that I find little impressive about this rig.

In my experience, if something on a Japanese machine is annoying, it's just that. It's going to keep annoying you through years of service. I only compared the 835 to the Polaris Ranger 1000, which I wish would fit my needs. If my needs were having fun and covering miles, the Polaris seems to be better engineered with much better fit and finish. I need snow plowing capability, the Gator seems more rugged for that purpose.

If Honda made an enclosed cab with HVAC, their dual-clutch transmissions are soooooo far advanced compared to CVT, I'd have spent a few grand more for one. The 835m seems more closely related to a garden tractor than a purpose built machine, unfortunately. My 2003 Honda Rincon was better engineered. I hope it lasts, no backing out now!

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks!
I have a 2013 550 with 104 hours and just had clutch Doctor rebuild the clutch and now can use it. John Deere put 3 in under warranty along with many other problems. I went last year to trade it in and the Polaris dealer didn’t want to take it but offered me $5000 on trade on a $20,000 ranger. If I were you I would stay away from Deere. Just one man’s opinion. Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2016 590 has seen its share of shift cable/clutch problems. I don’t abuse it at all so these have been the extent of any headaches. That being said, I’d buy a JD tractor again but not another Gator. I’d shop elsewhere

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Thanks for the honest assessment.

It seems many folks buy based on JD's prior reputation of high quality, only to find it is no longer true (in last 10-15 years) . It's really disappointing to see the same issues be passed on from year to year and even with model changes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts