John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rear lights remains on at all times when gator is switched on, any suggestions what's wrong.

·
Super Moderator
2,974 Posts
Have you pulled the switch, cleaned and bench tested?

On Edit : does your switch have 3 detents ( high position for headlights, middle position for running lights and lowest position for off )

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Generally the lights are energized with key in Run position and the Brake and running lights go through independent switches.

My guesses:
1) You have a multiple fault where the ignition key is not releasing power and your brake switch is faulty and you left the light switch in the wrong position or is faulty. (Unlikely this many items are wrong at once)
2) Someone has messed with the wiring and its anyone's guess at the endless possibilities.
3) Short causing both brake and running lights to be energized.(likely possibility as it is a single failure)
4) Your description of all rear lights is inaccurate. Perhaps only one of the lights is on, but both look illuminated.

The above is based on the wiring diagram for the 855D and your model may be different.

Two tools that are helpful assuming you know how to use both:
1) Wiring diagram for your model
2) Voltmeter

Good luck and report back what you find including pictures if they help define the failure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Generally the lights are energized with key in Run position and the Brake and running lights go through independent switches.

My guesses:
1) You have a multiple fault where the ignition key is not releasing power and your brake switch is faulty and you left the light switch in the wrong position or is faulty. (Unlikely this many items are wrong at once)
2) Someone has messed with the wiring and its anyone's guess at the endless possibilities.
3) Short causing both brake and running lights to be energized.(likely possibility as it is a single failure)
4) Your description of all rear lights is inaccurate. Perhaps only one of the lights is on, but both look illuminated.

The above is based on the wiring diagram for the 855D and your model may be different.

Two tools that are helpful assuming you know how to use both:
1) Wiring diagram for your model
2) Voltmeter

Good luck and report back what you find including pictures if they help define the failure.
check wiring under dump box. mine was melted from exhaust right side

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you pulled the switch, cleaned and bench tested?

On Edit : does your switch have 3 detents ( high position for headlights, middle position for running lights and lowest position for off )
Yes it have the 3 position switch

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Tank,

what have you done with all the suggestions so far? Assuming you had time to dig into it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still haven't found the problem, and maint light on, Guess it's time to visit the dealer to check the code.

·
Super Moderator
2,974 Posts
Still haven't found the problem, and maint light on, Guess it's time to visit the dealer to check the code.
On my 825 with the 3 way switch, if the switch is in the middle position the “ parking lights” will remain on when the key is switched on. I wonder if your switch is bad ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
check the brake light switch, it's working properly. Didn't find any pinch wires in the wiring.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Based on comments the brake light functioning correctly and the lights are on when Key on only. The problem is in the wiring between the switch and lights.

Since the lights are on with key on, it is likely one of the yellow wires has shorted with the lights... On many Gators the red wires are battery voltage all the time (key on or off). The yellow wires are typically battery voltage when key is on. I don't know this to be true of your particular machine as I don't have a wiring diagram and you didn't supply one either to help your cause, but is a rule of thumb.

With a volt meter and wiring diagram it should be easy to resolve. If you don't know how to use a voltmeter or have a wiring diagram, either purchase or find someone who can fix it for you.

Good luck. I'm interested in learning the root cause.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Based on comments the brake light functioning correctly and the lights are on when Key on only. The problem is in the wiring between the switch and lights.

Since the lights are on with key on, it is likely one of the yellow wires has shorted with the lights... On many Gators the red wires are battery voltage all the time (key on or off). The yellow wires are typically battery voltage when key is on. I don't know this to be true of your particular machine as I don't have a wiring diagram and you didn't supply one either to help your cause, but is a rule of thumb.

With a volt meter and wiring diagram it should be easy to resolve. If you don't know how to use a voltmeter or have a wiring diagram, either purchase or find someone who can fix it for you.

Good luck. I'm interested in learning the root cause.
Golf cart mechanic got the lights situation straightened out. Said he played around with a few things, but don’t know exactly what fixed it. Only charged me $20.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Glad it is fixed and at a good price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts