John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a new poster here, in fact my first post anywhere, period. I've got a 2013 825i gator with factory turf tires. I wanted the Big horn package but the Turfs were no additional charge that I could see and I could purchase the big horns and rims for the same price after the deal. The way I look at it the turfs were free.

Getting ready to buy the upgrade now and trying to decide what would be the best possible tire upgrade, money is no object.

Will be using Gator in Maine, packed gravel logging roads, some steep rockey mountain paths most likely with mud. Would like a littler more clearance. But I still would like to be able to drive across my lawn once and a while for chores.

Any help would be appreaciated.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I would have definately gone with a radial tire (Big Horns) for the terrain you are driving on for 2 reasons.

The Big Horns are a better tread tire for those kinds of uses AND they wear a LOT better than what the Ancla or Terra Hawk tires do which are the "free' tires.

I would definately look into replacing your stock tires with something similar but making sure it's a Radial tire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much Deere Sales!

Totally agree on the radials!

Should I move up to the 14 inch alum rim and the 27" - 30" radials or is that size more "Show than Go". I am looking for the best setup I can find but I am to inexperienced to make that call yet. Was researching the Big Horn verses the Big Horn 2. The original looks to be a little more rugged.

Thank you again!

·
Registered
709 Posts
The nice thing about the Alloys (not just deeres) is that they wont rust. The "free" tires come on steel wheels so if you scratch the paint on them, they will start to rust. Over time, especially if they see a lot of snow and salt, the paint will start to break down and rust will form underneath.

Besides them looking nice, the Alloys will give you much longer life. On the trade side, the alloys are worth a bit more money, but if you are going to keep it for life it's really up to you.

Those are just my two cents

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would have to agree with using the bighorn tires!! They are hard to beat for that type of terrain. And for the few chores on the lawn they should do just fine with very little wear to the yard. If you plan on keeping the steal rims I would look at powder coating them they would last a lot longer than paint in those conditions.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Those Maxxis Bighorns are a great ride in my opinion.
Yep. I originally had not considered them for the price but after a test drive I was sold. It gives the Gator a very nice ride - not that hard tire feel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you to everyone who offered help, after all the looking around I have decided to go with the JD Big Horn package offered at the dealership.

The 14" rims that I originally thought may be more "show than go" may be incorrect. Lots of people feel the 26 bighorn on 12" rims would be better (most of them racers on Razors" but the weight of the 825i and all that side wall flex might prove mushy on the turns.

Thanks again, PS I still worry about the 2 ply sidewalls and punctures.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts