John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to John Deere products and just bought a new Gator RSX 850i I really like the looks and the way it rides but after only having 20 miles on it ran into problems with it shifting from forward to neutral and also shifting out of reverse. I have had it back to the dealer twice the primary clutch has been replaced and the last time they shimmed the clutch alignment neither of these things have solved the problem at this point I regret purchasing this machine it is a nice machine but if it won't shift in and out of gear properly it may as well be a boat anchor very disappointing to spend this kind of money on something that John Deere can not identify the problem and get it fixed. :mad: Does anybody out there know a fix for this problem?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear about your problems. I had some minors problems when I first had my RSX. They had a PiP out for the shifter. They replace the shifter and linkage and adjust it and I have had no problems since then. Did they do that before all the other?????

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2013 RSX 850i shifting problems

I read about that issue on the forum. My dealer said that my gator was made after that issue had been resolved but I think they should look a little deeper into that issue. Ill be calling them tomorrow and will run that by them. Do you know if there is a DTAC # that pertains to that issue.Thanks for the information

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had both the primary and secondary clutches replaced and finally seems to have corrected the difficulty shifting out of gear to neutral problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Demo 850i

I had both the primary and secondary clutches replaced and finally seems to have corrected the difficulty shifting out of gear to neutral problem.
Hey guys! I have a great dealer and he let me demo a camo 850i for the extended weekend! I have noticed that when shifting from high to low after stopping, the gears grind really bad. Is this the shifting problem you guys are referring to?

I had a buddies 850i over last weekend and it shifted flawlessly. He was purchased in June 2013. I will have to look at the build date on this one. It only has 40 miles and 10 hours on it, but it is the demo the dealer has been using.

I have been very lucky to have 2 850i's in the last 7 days to drive.

We got 5" of snow today. My 2 kids and I have had a blast today, regardless of the shifting issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The shifting problem you describe may be the same fix but the problem I was having was that you could not get it out of gear when trying to go from forward to neutral or reverse to neutral. I had to turn the machine off to get the shifter to move.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have a 2012 and haven't noticed much shifting problems, other than when i go from Reverse to Neutral and to Forward, sometimes i have to take my foot off the brake to get it to fall in to the indent, but have had no issues NOT being able to shift.

·
Registered
5 Posts
paul46robert

I just purchased a RSX 850i Sport the end of December 2014. The Sport has 8hrs and 28 miles and I am having shifting in and out of high and also into and out of reverse. The dealer said they adjusted the linkage and he could not repeat the problem. I am waiting for warner weather and take it for a good run and document the transmission issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Curious if those that have had shifting problems have gotten them resolved and what exactly was done to fix it? Our RSX 850i has 200 miles and 23 hours and looks like it will need a 3rd clutch after this weekend. Drove it around in the cooler months without a problem. This last weekend was the first time this summer. All the hard shifting came back as bad as ever after just a couple hours of easy running in the heat.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
talk to Doc about it sounds like your clutch was not set up correct by TEAM. same problem 825is have been having. which i got one new clutch a year ago with no problems.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Will your machine slowly creep forward when in gear? Also, does it have a hesitation when you mildly accelerate or decelerate from slow speeds? If so, your belt is bad and the clutches are most likely misalligned. Additionally, check the roller bearing on the primary to make sure it ain't bad.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Curious if those that have had shifting problems have gotten them resolved and what exactly was done to fix it? Our RSX 850i has 200 miles and 23 hours and looks like it will need a 3rd clutch after this weekend. Drove it around in the cooler months without a problem. This last weekend was the first time this summer. All the hard shifting came back as bad as ever after just a couple hours of easy running in the heat.
You need to check all the things that Minshall mentioned, but since it's heat related, it very well could be a poorly fit clutch.

I would suggest that you remove the clutch cover and then do two things. First push and pull on the outer sheave of the primary clutch and make sure it moves smoothly in and out with no squeaking. If it is sticky, it really needs to come apart and have the wear buttons set up properly and check everything over.

If it IS smooth and quiet, then you need to see if the belt is dragging AFTER ENSURING THAT THE CLUTCH IS FULLY OPEN.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for suggestions. We just send it to the dealer and let them"fix" it. I'm going to run these things by them and see what they say about it.

Probably something I should educate myself about as I'm sure they will get tired of fixing it on their dime at some point.

·
Registered
668 Posts
For most problems with a JD product, sending it to the dealer will almost always result in the problem going away. In the case of these clutches, their batting average has not been very good. It is not because of dealer incompetency, but because the clutch manufacturer relies on mass production and is not willing to spend the money to properly hand fit the wear buttons on the clutch spider.

For those of you in cooler climates this is not usually a big problem. Running these clutches in the heat OTOH will often cause galling of the wear surfaces in the web, and result in a sticky clutch. The dealer dutifully and properly replaces the clutch. Sometimes you get lucky and the new clutch is loose enough. Sometimes it is a repeat of the same problem after operated for a short time.

Hope this is useful.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Very Helpful. Thanks.

For those of you in cooler climates this is not usually a big problem. Running these clutches in the heat OTOH will often cause galling of the wear surfaces in the web, and result in a sticky clutch. The dealer dutifully and properly replaces the clutch. Sometimes you get lucky and the new clutch is loose enough. Sometimes it is a repeat of the same problem after operated for a short time.

Hope this is useful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help please. I have a 2013 gator 850i. With only 300 km on it. I got it stick and the water was only up about 1/2 way on the tires. It filled the fuel tank full of water and the deff full of water and also the engine full of water. I got that all cleaned out and it grinds now trying to put it in drive, I took it all apart and replaced the belt but still grinds when trying to put it in gear. Can anyone help, then nearest dealer is 5 hours away,

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Help please. I have a 2013 gator 850i. With only 300 km on it. I got it stick and the water was only up about 1/2 way on the tires. It filled the fuel tank full of water and the deff full of water and also the engine full of water. I got that all cleaned out and it grinds now trying to put it in drive, I took it all apart and replaced the belt but still grinds when trying to put it in gear. Can anyone help, then nearest dealer is 5 hours away,
Change the trans fluid I can almost guarantee it is full of water too

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I just had the problem that you guys are taking about. I’ve got 5600 miles and first time I’ve had an issue. Service guy at dealership said the clutch will swell if it sits for a while so for guys that don’t use it much might see problems more often. Clutches that are seized pretty bad will have to be filed/shimmed or replaced, ones that aren’t bad can be polished. Be nice if you didn’t have to tear the whole gator apart to get to it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts