John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My only problem with my gator is it back fires and sometimes stalls when accelerating T from an idle. The air filter is new It's idling at 1,100 rpm, I adjusted the air gas mixture and adjusted the valves to .005. I don't know if timing is an issue. I am now lost. Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks in advance. Jim

·
Super Moderator
2,704 Posts
Perhaps this will help?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Confused

I bought a tiny tach to adjust the idle to spec, but to set it I need to know how many time my engine (Briggs & Stratton fires in one revolution. Anybody? I also need to know how to get to the flywheel to adjust the spark. I have never worked on small engines before. Thanks in advance to any and all help. Jim

·
Super Moderator
2,704 Posts
I bought a tiny tach to adjust the idle to spec, but to set it I need to know how many time my engine (Briggs & Stratton fires in one revolution. Anybody? I also need to know how to get to the flywheel to adjust the spark. I have never worked on small engines before. Thanks in advance to any and all help. Jim

Message sent

·
Registered
426 Posts
My only problem with my gator is it back fires and sometimes stalls when accelerating T from an idle. The air filter is new It's idling at 1,100 rpm, I adjusted the air gas mixture and adjusted the valves to .005. I don't know if timing is an issue. I am now lost. Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks in advance. Jim
Ill save you some time and say:dont read the books and wing it.
These backfires on the 550 and 560 are extremely common and mostly due to poor adjustment of the carb and sometimes due to a bad carb or engine problems.
I must add that this caburettor is one of the worst they couldve put on the machine anyway

Usually my check sequence goes like:
-spark
-compression test (if its off it could be valves)
-fuel
-air/fuel (usually ends up being this)
-float height
-exhaust (clogged?)
And then everything else.

Sorry to be a downer but i have spent up to 2 days fixing backfires on these models.
Theres even been one that we couldnt fix.

Edit: i assume you put good gas in and not old crap as these machines are sensitove

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am suspicious of the fuel air mixture. I have never seen a carb without a accelerator pump. I appreciate your input along with Bradhill this shall be fixed. Thanks again. Jim

·
Registered
426 Posts
Well to help you out a little, they tend to be rich all the time even from factory.
BUT were in a country with a hot climate so i dont know if that relates to you.

I always suspected that john deere or briggs adjusted these things to the richer side in a colder climate making it pretty bad in any type of warm weather
These problems tend to start as early as 50 hours

On the last 560 i just tried to limit the gas by adjusting the float pretty low to reduce fuel delivery on idle and slow speed and then adjusted the carb.

Bit offtopic:
I must say that all my colleagues hate the briggs engine and prefer kawasaki engines.
Now iam a briggs guy because i love the vanguard series but the carb they put on made this machine absolute #@!%
And honestly these engines would be amazing if they whent with a better carb.

If youd want more performance and are handy id put on a different carb, take the ring out the exhaust and raise the rpm and install a high rev kit perhaps

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This machine is used in the woods clearing and maintain horse trails. A high performance kit would be useless (fun) but useless. However a direct carb swap sounds totally do able. Any suggestions? Thanks for your input. Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts