John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.. i am new to this site. I recently purchased a diesel 855 jd gator with 60 hrs on there. I notice after 50 hrs on a oil change it will have used about 3 to 4 cups off oil. Is that normal or is there a sweet spot on dip stick that it will go to where it will stay till its ready for another oil change (200 hrs) ??

·
Registered
274 Posts
Something is likely amiss. My 855D and 865R (same engine) have pretty much been tight on oil, with maybe a 1/2 quart max in 100 hours. That was until I put a turbo on the 855D. A little bypass through the shaft ring adds up so I have to add 1/2 quart every 50 hours. If you don't have a sweat leak, then take a look in the mirror stepping on it from a stop. Look for Oil smoke which is bluer than diesel smoke. JD has the fuel choked down so you shouldn't have diesel smoke. One reason you can get oil blow by is the original owner decided to ignore the break in procedure. One thing you can do is check with JD and see if replacing the oil with the break in oil at this stage will do anything for you.

·
Super Moderator
3,045 Posts
Answered below...

Something is likely amiss. My 855D and 865R (same engine) have pretty much been tight on oil, with maybe a 1/2 quart max in 100 hours....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi guys.. i am new to this site. I recently purchased a diesel 855 jd gator with 60 hrs on there. I notice after 50 hrs on a oil change it will have used about 3 to 4 cups off oil. Is that normal or is there a sweet spot on dip stick that it will go to where it will stay till its ready for another oil change (200 hrs) ??

Your saying you bought a 2014 with 60 engine hours? It’s been babied
Need more info what’s your climate
What grade oil are you using now
Do you see any oil leaks get her hot park on piece of cardboard
If that was my machine and using that much oil I would hook it up to something to pull work her hard get her hot to seat rings again.
Change to good quality of oil shell rotela t 15-40 unless your in cold climate 10-30

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting but great questions.
Northern Alberta where its cold. I try baby it.. doesnt really work hard, just to go from point A to B.. sometimes I would hammer down on it. I use 10w40 oil.. Absolutely no sign off Oil leaks whats so ever.. No smoking or nothing.. thanks a million for read and reply

·
Registered
426 Posts
Interesting but great questions.
Northern Alberta where its cold. I try baby it.. doesnt really work hard, just to go from point A to B.. sometimes I would hammer down on it. I use 10w40 oil.. Absolutely no sign off Oil leaks whats so ever.. No smoking or nothing.. thanks a million for read and reply
While i was on the subject of oil in another topic.
I dont believe itll ever be 122f in alberta.
Youll be better off using 10w30 or even 5w30 in colder weatber

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Using nearly a quart of oil in 50 hours seems excessive based on my 855D experience.

Are you leaving enough time for oil to drain back to oil pan when taking readings?

I'd look for leaks using cardboard method described earlier.

For the record I use Rotella 5W-40 synthetic in mine.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I just had a bright light by the way, after the last oil change did you check the oil before or after the engine ran?
I see a lot of people make the mistake of dunking the oil in checking it and simply forgetting that when you crank the engine over the oil filter and oil passages get filled lowering the level.

That being said run it for another 50 and check again.
An engine with less than 200 cannot have gone bad, ive seen an engine blow up at 400 hours with no oil changes and check ups but thats rare

1 - 9 of 9 Posts