John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum so forgive me if I missed this topic in another thread.
So I have a gator (gas) with about 4K miles that is well maintained and we had a pretty good snow the other day (rare for Nashville to) and everything was running fine for hours and on my way home going down the road all of the sudden I loose power and it comes to a stop. No knocking or vibrating as if the key was turned off. Wasn’t pulling anything just headed down the road in 4 wheel drive. Lights, dump bed and all electrical still works and it cranks but won’t start.

so far I have done the following even after talking to the service guys at JD and still won’t start

1- all fuses and relays that I can find have been pulled, cleaned and checked with an ohm meter
2- verified the fuel pump works and fuel filter is good
3-replaced all spark plugs and verified I was getting electricity to the spark plug
4-tested the spark plug wires and coils (3) of them
5-checked air filter and tried starting it with the filter removed and also sprayed starting fluid in the breather
6- checked oil levels
7- checked coolant levels
8- checked the spark arrestor to make sure there wasn't a carbon build up
After all this I still have the little book with a wrench symbol illumination on my dash. The service manager mentioned a diode on the main coil line but come to find out that is not the case for my model.

short of me taking it to the dealer is there anything else I need to look for?

Thanks
Darin S.

·
Super Moderator
3,549 Posts
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum so forgive me if I missed this topic in another thread.
So I have a gator (gas) with about 4K miles that is well maintained and we had a pretty good snow the other day (rare for Nashville to) and everything was running fine for hours and on my way home going down the road all of the sudden I loose power and it comes to a stop. No knocking or vibrating as if the key was turned off. Wasn’t pulling anything just headed down the road in 4 wheel drive. Lights, dump bed and all electrical still works and it cranks but won’t start.

so far I have done the following even after talking to the service guys at JD and still won’t start

1- all fuses and relays that I can find have been pulled, cleaned and checked with an ohm meter
3-replaced all spark plugs and verified I was getting electricity to the spark plug
5-checked air filter and tried starting it with the filter removed and also sprayed starting fluid in the breather
6- checked oil levels
After all this I still have the little book with a wrench symbol illumination on my dash. The service manager mentioned a diode on the main coil line but come to find out that is not the case for my model.

Thanks
Darin S.
Fresh fuel ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes
The gator had been running for a few hours with the fuel in the tank and I have always used sea foam fuel stabilizer

·
Registered
3 Posts

6- checked oil levels

Thanks
Darin S.
Daren I had a similar issue on my 2015 825I. Checked all like you did. In the end I replaced the fuel pump it is located inside the gas tank. Started immediately after install. Of course prior to that I had replaced the fuel filter and a host of other things..since the fuel.pump was running I was reluctant to believe it was the root cause. In the end it was pumping at low pressure and low volume and the new one solved the issue..installation took about 2 hours

·
Registered
136 Posts
What did the machine do when you gave it a snort of starting fluid? Did it try to run at all?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't recall much as it was last year. I do seem to remember trying starting fluid but it would still not run enough to give me hope it would self resolve. In my case I exhausted all options and learned it was clearly starving for fuel. It was deceptive in that I was still getting gas past the filter just not with sufficient quantity and pressure to allow the machine to start

·
Registered
249 Posts
I don't recall much as it was last year. I do seem to remember trying starting fluid but it would still not run enough to give me hope it would self resolve. In my case I exhausted all options and learned it was clearly starving for fuel. It was deceptive in that I was still getting gas past the filter just not with sufficient quantity and pressure to allow the machine to start
So, it's running now?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
See last sentence of post #6. Claims the new pump solved the issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts