John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum, thanks in advance for any help. Quick back story. Bought my xuv550 gator brand new at the beginning of 2014 to ride around on my property. It was fine for around a year and a half then I started to have shifting problems. Hard to shift, having to shut engine off, etc. I'm sure everyone has heard about this. It got to the point where it was very hard to shift and it has been sitting for several months. I got some time off so I decided to look into the problem. I researched online and saw where this was a very common problem but could never find a good fix. I called my dealer and they said this model had issues with the primary clutch and it probably needs to be replaced.
Here's where I hope someone can help me out. The Gator only has 85 hours on it. I'm sure by now the solution to this problem has been found. Do I need to replace the clutch? Can the one on it be rebuilt? If so, who can rebuild it? I really hate to drop $400 on a new clutch unless I have to.
Almost forgot, I did remove the belt and gator shifted through gears smoothly. So it's not shifting cables, which dealer said had been a problem too.

·
Super Moderator
2,661 Posts
It sounds like your primary needs to have some tuning work done. This is a common issue with this type of clutch. If you should replace the clutch with a new part you may have the same issue. There may be some help on the way!

Paging Doc the Clutch Man.... MBDiagman... Can you please help?

·
Super Moderator
2,661 Posts
Sounds great! Tuning work, wonder why the dealership wouldn't recommend that?

Tuning requires a fair amount of bench time using specialized tools and skills to adjust the clutch.

My guess most dealers are more comfortable replacing parts rather than tear them down for tuning and re work

Just my .02

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pulled the clutch off. It's a shame, machine only has 85 hrs on it. I may try to message one of the guys mentioned above. i noticed you can't get the clutch that I currently have. It's been replaced with another part number. Wonder if the new ones have been improved? Dealer said yes but of course they want to sell a new one.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I went down the same road as you and got tired replacing clutches so I can understand your pain and anguish. I sent my primary to MBDiagman and it's been a reliable machine since.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Troy did you get my Private Message? The problem that you are having is the clutch is hanging up. The clutch needs to be disassembled, cleaned and the hard plastic sliders needed to be dressed up. I have all the tools to do this and can help you or see if I have a clutch like yours in my stock pile that I can do the same thing to it and send it to you.

·
Super Moderator
2,661 Posts
Troy did you get my Private Message? The problem that you are having is the clutch is hanging up. The clutch needs to be disassembled, cleaned and the hard plastic sliders needed to be dressed up. I have all the tools to do this and can help you or see if I have a clutch like yours in my stock pile that I can do the same thing to it and send it to you.

Thanks JohnDeereCat for helping!

·
Registered
633 Posts
This clutch does NOT have plastic sliders. I can refurb your clutch or if you prefer I have one finished and ready for exchange if you prefer. My success rate on these clutches is 100% at this point.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
My apologies to Troyky29 for hijacking his thread.

I have be trying to find someone to rework the clutch om my 550 for some time. I would appreciate someone that could help to contact me by e-mail [email protected] I am just unable to get the private messaging to work for me.

Thank You

·
Super Moderator
2,661 Posts
Paging Clutch guys

·
Registered
715 Posts
I thought of MBDiagMan a couple times weekend (he "tuned" my clutch). We got 10" of snow (rare for here) and the Gator was my go to vehicle for everything this weekend. When I put the Gator away at the end of the day I couldn't help thinking yet another day with a lot of short trips with frequent starting and stopping and no trouble from the clutch. If you are having trouble with your clutch I would pick sending my clutch off to be hand tuned over a factory new clutch.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Thanks Dane! I am very pleased that my clutch work transformed your machine into a completely reliable and usable tool. I have done a number of clutches including yours and to date have a 100% success rate.

Without a properly hand fitted clutch or being lucky enough to have a usable factory clutch, these machines can easily fall victim to expen$ive transmission problems and turn into nothing more than expensive and bulky paper weights. I have developed the setup and understanding for producing bullet proof 550, 825 and 855 clutches.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was snowplowing with my father's xuv 550 this morning, I had read many complaints about the shifter so I babied it, always paused to let engine idle before shifting. Didn't have a problem all winter until this morning when I backed out of the driveway and when I put it in FW it wouldn't move. Seems to clutch won't disengage now. It will sort of lurch in Fw or Reverse but not go anywhere. Had to pull it off road with my pickup. Has this thing happened to anyone else? Does this seem like a problem that can be solved with a properly adjusted clutch?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Moderator: do you want to break vanhanbr's question out as a separate thread?

When you shifted from reverse to forward if the gear shift lever moved with its normal resistance then the primary clutch likely opened up and let go of the drive belt. If the shift lever was much harder or impossible to move then the clutch is possibly sticking. If you forced it too hard it is possible that something in the shift linkage broke. Does your shift lever move normally now? Also, one sure fire trick to confirm if the problem is the primary clutch sticking is to shut off the engine and make the shift while the engine is off. Then start the Gator and drive. If it shifts OK when the engine is off it's likely the primary clutch sticking.

Vanhanbr when your Gator was lurching was it making a clicking or clunk sound in the back under the dump bed? If you may not have been completely in gear. Another way to check is to try pushing the Gator. If it is not in gear it can be pushed with some difficulty. If it's in gear it is extremely difficult/almost impossible to pus

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can still move the shifter and can push it fairly easily in neutral. I brought it to the dealer today, mentioned that I noticed a lot of people are having problems with these units. They didn't say one way or another. Right now I have no confidence in this unit and am seriously considering buying a Honda with a gearbox and shaft drive.

·
Super Moderator
2,661 Posts
....Right now I have no confidence in this unit and am seriously considering buying a Honda with a gearbox and shaft drive.

Are you considering trading your fathers 550 for a Honda?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Less than 24 hours from posting to the dealer. Well, let us know what they do.
I really don't have the time/shop/ability to fix it on my own right now. It broke down on me Monday morning before work and I brought it to the dealer Wednesday noon when I could round up enough people to help me push it on a trailer. It was bought at a dealer auction about 2 years ago because the price seemed cheap at the time and it already was set up with a snow plow. It hadn't been used much since then and my father mentioned selling it last fall. I told him I wouldn't mind keeping at my house this winter as I had a friend snowplow my driveway with an atv a couple times and it worked better than the pickup truck I usually used. He probably would have sold it if I didn't ask to use it as (surprise, surprise) he didn't like how it shifted compared to several other gators he owns. But I found that as long as I let the machine idle down before shifting I could shift with minimal force/effort.

I'm waiting to hear from the dealer as to what they think is wrong with it. I am trying to decide if I should keep using the gator after its fixed or start looking at different machines. I did read through the forums a bit and read that a few members believe that a new clutch that isn't hand tuned is going to be no better than the old one. I would consider getting that done if it makes the machine capable, I just don't want to throw money at the thing. The machines primary purpose would be snowplowing my driveway with occasional light duty trail riding in the summer. If I keep using the gator, I plan on buying it from him. Otherwise I would buy a different machine outright. My concern is if this machines weakest link is the shifting and snowplowing is nothing but shifting back and forth them perhaps there are better options out there. I haven't made up my mind either way, please let me know what you think.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I'm not sure you have/had a clutch problem. You never clarified what you meant by it wouldn't move. The Gator or the shift lever? You mentioned that it would lurch forward or reverse a bit.

If you had said the shift lever couldn't be moved to shift I would think the primary clutch was not releasing. If you were able to move the shift lever normally but the Gator won't move has me wondering if it's a shift linkage issue.

If you do decide to keep the Gator there is a lot that can be done with the primary clutch to customize its operation to your liking. The first step is to have someone like MBdiagman or Griffin tune it so the spider can freely slide open and closed. Then you have several spring options to adjust it's engage/disengage rpm and how quickly it "upshifts".

1 - 20 of 88 Posts