John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just starting my prep work on getting my gator ready for a Wyoming trip this fall and wanted to look at replacing my drive belt on my 590i. I have about 200 hrs on it and it has seen normal service with no drive issues "HOWEVER" in some of the areas I will be driving it will be pretty remote and can not afford a breakdown. I was thinking of replacing the drive belt as a preventive measure and wondered if anyone out there had any experience with changing them out ? Am I being too cautious? What is the life span of a belt under normal use? Can they be done in the field with basic hand tools and what other critical wear items should I look into?
Thanks in advance for your assistance on this matter.
Steve

·
Super Moderator
2,971 Posts
You probably should change the belt, in your case the belt has aged out. Not necessarily from use, but from the age. Does this make sense ? 3-4 years is a good rule of thumb. You don’t want to replace the belt on the trail, other items to check bushings, shocks, bearings etc. Suggest you pick up a copy of the Technical Manual for your Gator, if you do not have one.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I like the idea of new belt but suggest installing it and using it lightly to help break it in before perhaps more aggressive riding during the trip.

Another option it to measure the belt width and compare it to the new and replacement widths.

have fun on the trip and be safe.

Reactions: Bradhill

·
Super Moderator
2,971 Posts
Good suggestion on belt break in, below are the procedures Gates recommends:

“New Belt Break In Process:

New CVT drive belts require a break-in period of at minimum 30 Miles to maximize belt life and performance. The goal of the break-in period is to properly wear in the belt to match the sheaves before applying maximum engine torque.

By conservatively running through the entire shift range, proper belt contact over the entire sheave/belt contact path is optimized to eliminate belt slippage and drastically increase the belt’s lifespan.

Follow the following guidelines to accomplish proper Belt-Break in:

•Vary vehicle speed and engine RPM to shift belt through normal operational range.

•Do not exceed ¾ throttle within the first 30 miles of installation.

•Stop engine and allow belt to cool down every 15 minutes of use.

During break in period, the following activities SHOULD BE AVOIDED:

•Aggressive Acceleration or ‘Jerky’ throttle movements at low speeds.

•Holding engine/vehicle speed constant for extended time periods.

•Pulling Heavy Loads.

•Long run times without complete CVT/belt cool down.

By following the break-in process carefully, the belt surface will wear in to match the individual CVT sheaves to maximize grip performance and dramatically reduce heat, glazing, and future wear.

As a reminder always use low gear when climbing a hill, pulling or hauling a load, transversing rocky terrain, starting on an incline, ruts, etc. The key here is, you do not want to slip or glaze the belt, this will cause premature belt failure.

Finally, do not leave the Gator in gear while stopped, such as when opening a gate this will create a flat spot on the belt overtime again leading to belt failure.”

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

“New Belt Break In Process:

New CVT drive belts require a break-in period of at minimum 30 Miles to maximize belt life and performance. The goal of the break-in period is to properly wear in the belt to match the sheaves before applying maximum engine torque.

By conservatively running through the entire shift range, proper belt contact over the entire sheave/belt contact path is optimized to eliminate belt slippage and drastically increase the belt’s lifespan.

Follow the following guidelines to accomplish proper Belt-Break in:

•Vary vehicle speed and engine RPM to shift belt through normal operational range.

•Do not exceed ¾ throttle within the first 30 miles of installation.

•Stop engine and allow belt to cool down every 15 minutes of use.

During break in period, the following activities SHOULD BE AVOIDED:

•Aggressive Acceleration or ‘Jerky’ throttle movements at low speeds.

•Holding engine/vehicle speed constant for extended time periods.

•Pulling Heavy Loads.

•Long run times without complete CVT/belt cool down.

By following the break-in process carefully, the belt surface will wear in to match the individual CVT sheaves to maximize grip performance and dramatically reduce heat, glazing, and future wear.

As a reminder always use low gear when climbing a hill, pulling or hauling a load, transversing rocky terrain, starting on an incline, ruts, etc. The key here is, you do not want to slip or glaze the belt, this will cause premature belt failure.

Finally, do not leave the Gator in gear while stopped, such as when opening a gate this will create a flat spot on the belt overtime again leading to belt failure.”
Bradhill,
Thanks for the information on the drive belt. I usually give myself plenty of time before a trip to get my equipment prepped. What kind of process is it to change a drive belt. I know my way around a tool set but this is my first SxS. Have had several ATV's in the past.
From what I have read in the manual, pull the belt cover loosen the tensioner pulley and slide the old belt off. to install reverse the procedure. It does mention removing the dump bed for better access. Any other pointers?
Thanks again for your input.
Steve

·
Super Moderator
2,971 Posts

Bradhill,
Thanks for the information on the drive belt. I usually give myself plenty of time before a trip to get my equipment prepped. What kind of process is it to change a drive belt. I know my way around a tool set but this is my first SxS. Have had several ATV's in the past.
From what I have read in the manual, pull the belt cover loosen the tensioner pulley and slide the old belt off. to install reverse the procedure. It does mention removing the dump bed for better access. Any other pointers?
Thanks again for your input.
Steve
You’re welcome, I do not own a 590 however there are lots of folks who do.

Paging @saintdaniel can you help with the procedures on removing/replacing the CVT belt ?

·
Premium Member
30 Posts

You’re welcome, I do not own a 590 however there are lots of folks who do.

Paging @saintdaniel can you help with the procedures on removing/replacing the CVT belt ?
Remove the dump box then there are 10 5/16 bolts that hold the clutch cover on. If you look down low you will see two clamps that hold the tube on, loosen the clamps then slide clamps to the left. It takes some messin
around but you can get that tube pushed to the side so you can remove the clutch cover. Takes some maneuvering to get that cover off,then you will see a bearing 5/16 bolt remove that. Blow everything off it gets dirty in there.

Now make sure you are in neutral, get a 15mm wrench or socket on the secondary bolt get fingers under the belt and pull out to side while rotating secondary toward rear of the gator. There is not a lot of spare room , take your time, If you need anything else shoot me a message.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sir, I appreciate your assistance on this. I will be getting into it after the holiday weekend. I will definitely keep you in mind if I run into any problems.
Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts