John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a new starter installed the you can hear the motor spin put the drive gear will not go forward. Take the starter out hook it up to a Batt with jumper cables and the starter works great. Put it back in and the starter spins but the gear won't go forward to engage the flywheel. I ran a ground wire from the Batt to the starter to be sure it was grounding and it did not help. Starter works great out of the Gator but not bolted in. No grinding noise from it when installed, grea just won't go forward.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If it works outside the gator, its likely using another battery.

The Bendix gear won't engage the flywheel or the flexplate to crank up the engine whenever there is insufficient power.
You will need to check the battery voltage using a voltmeter or a multimeter.
Under normal circumstances, battery's voltage should range between 12.4 volts and 12.6 volts.

The gator could have a bad ground, check the grounding points and clean them up.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Learn how to do a voltage drop test when testing the starter circuit. The high current demands require a different way of testing.

there are a number of good videos depicting how to do.

Reactions: Thistle Killer

·
Registered
18 Posts
Learn how to do a voltage drop test when testing the starter circuit. The high current demands require a different way of testing.

there are a number of good videos depicting how to do.
Thanks for that tip, I'll remember it.

Today I removed my XUV 560E starter, which quit engaging. It had a torn rubber "boot" on its solenoid, a broken "yoke" that moves the Bendix gear, and both starter motor and solenoid were packed with dust and dirt. What kind of company makes machines that foul up so easily with dirt? Previously, the shroud around my engine fouled, and created overheating leading to backfiring when the engine was turned off. That, in turn, caused bent pushrods -- all because of ingested dirt.

I doubt I'll ever buy another JD product. I did find a compatible starter on Amazon for $90, fortunately. But, JD wants 263 plus tax for theirs (probably shipping, too). I couldn't find any place that sells the two small parts I needed. This is all simply crazy. Parts that collect dirt and fail, and cause other things to fail as well, no mention of the critical importance of all this in the user's manual, and then a small fortune to fix just for OEM parts, and double that if the dealer fixes it. I'm sorry, but this is robbery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts