John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the mountains and use to have an 850d so I knew going in I was not going to win any races going uphill. However, recently it has gotten even worse and there is an abnormal amount of black smoke coming out the exhaust when climbing. Any ideas as to the cause?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Clogged air filter comes to mind or any similar air restriction including rodent nest.

Is the thermostat allowing it too come up to temperature? Thermostat that is stuck open may not allow to come up to temperature and reduce cylinder temps causing poor combustion.

Reactions: Dave Jr

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clogged air filter comes to mind or any similar air restriction including rodent nest.

Is the thermostat allowing it too come up to temperature? Thermostat that is stuck open may not allow to come up to temperature and reduce cylinder temps causing poor combustion.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Consider a JD snorkel upgrade. Put one on my 865R and it makes a huge difference. Having an air intake by the wheel and road is just stupid. JD makes one for the 855D as well.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Appreciate the OP documenting the root cause. It brings value to the forum when threads are completed.

Thank you!

·
Registered
391 Posts
OK, I'm confusing myself. If you have an 855D and the air cleaner was relocated to the outside, you can get to the air cleaner. My 855D is essentially configured the same air cleaner wise as the 865R for which I have the JD Kit #AON10271. The kit has flex hose which will route where you need it. I actually don't see an 855D kit for which there are third party options but seem to be frame mounted vs. cab mounted. The JD kit might fit if the snorkel thickness isn't too much to clear the bed and back wall. I'd have to measure. Then the challenge will be in attaching for which mastic may be your friend. The install manual is UC27999.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts