John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I just joined this forum. I currently have a 2013 XUV550 with 140 hours on it. To be honest I'm very disappointment in the machine. Had way to many problems to date with it. I'm looking to trade it in for 2016 XUV 590I but can't seem to find any real reviews on the machine. Can anyone provide some feedback on the machine and/or post any links for reviews. I see that they say it can do 45+. Is that true? Have they fixed all the issues that the 550's had? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought my 590i in may and the only problem has been a rear shock leaking oil wich the dealer is taking care of right now. Other than that no problems just a lot of fun. I've had mine up to 50!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I too had a 2012 550 and had a terrible time with it, they finally figured the head gasket was blown. Had 220 hours on it and traded it for the new 590i which I have now had about a month and put 275 miles on it. Much better than the 550. Digital dash is nice with a fuel gauge, water cooled and fuel injected are a big plus. No problem so far. Changed the oil in it once already. Runs 52 MPH. I am happy with mine so far but was real skeptical about going with JD again but so far glad I did. If I have problems with this one there will be no more JD. I have added a few things that I took off my 550 as it all fits which was one nice thing. Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not bad

Filter came off as they normally have although I find that a lot of times the first one is pretty snug. What do you think of the 590?:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
My wife and I love it. Dealer brought it back today so this weekend we will be riding. This is my first utv so I don't have a lot of experience with them but so far so good. The filter took a 3/8 ratchet with a 12 inch piece of pipe to break free. Not sure what the Chinese are trying to prove.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bought my 590 in November. My rear shocks leak also, and the oil filter was on so tight the filter itself twisted before if came loose. Have not talked to the dealer about the shocks yet. My shifter is a little picky to get into drive sometimes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I traded up from the JD 550 (A poor design all around) to the 590i around June 2016. The performance difference is remarkable. As noted in previous posts, the liquid cooled engine with fuel injection and twice the HP made a tremendous difference. I have 2000 miles on it and am happy with the motor and drive-train. My only issues are I'm on my third shift cable, parking brake no longer works ( I have adjusted it to the limit) and three shocks are leaking oil. I have taken it through some streams, mud, and up hills that would tax any machine, all with two whitetail deer and a passenger, with no problem. I just wish the little things would quit failing. I say little with tongue in cheek, Shift cables $34.99, coil over shocks $118.00 ea, etc. I do not have a trailer and dealer will not come to me, so I have to absorb the costs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Should be a year warranty on it, I got mine about the same time, have around 500 miles on it so far no problems. Really love it a lot more than the 2012 550 I had. It blew a head gasket also as many others did, it was out of warranty but JD took care of it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree, but the local JD dealership is obviously not as good as yours. I also had to buy a fuel gauge ($118.00), but enough tears, lol. I am glad your is going strong and you have great dealership support. The 590i is overall a great machine for what it was designed to do. I do not have buyers remorse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought my 2016 590i back in October....since then, I have had 3 shocks replaced, it is scheduled to go back into shop next week for the 4th shock that is leaking and around the 3300 RPM mark there is a terrible rattle that is coming from the motor or something attached to motor somewhere, I am unable to locate the noise and most importantly, as soon as I attempt to go play in water and mud, the belt slips... I'm only in about 8 to 10" of water, no were near opening on top of belt housing.....any suggestions?????

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would suggest you tighten the tension a little bit, careful not to overdo. Also, when mine gets wet and the belt starts slipping, I just up the RPM for a few seconds and the water burns right off, returning the traction to normal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Need to buy a fram stamped steel oil filter removal tool. Only a couple of bucks at walmart. Yes some gorilla tightened the Oem filter, and no room to attach a universal oil filter wrench/tool.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also had 3 shocks replaced under warranty Feb 2017. The service manager said JD does everything as cheap as they can, and the leaking shocks are on the top of the list. I had 3 replaced, should have sprayed wd 40 on the 4th to get them all replaced. If they go out after warranty, Ill look to an aftermarket assembly as there is no way Ill buy known JD replacement junk.

As new in July in 2016, off the delivery truck the parking brake (more junk) would not unlatch, so could not even drive it when delivered, back to the dealer before the ink was dry on the check. The parking breake is has a cheesy cam and gear/lever system that is activated/deactivated by a cheap spring. If the spring cant release the cog, your stuck. Another cheap poor design.

Last you might want to consider adding LED motorcycle license plate lights to the gear and 4wd console. They were a pain to install and wire as the wires were tiny. I found a connector tucked under the speedo that you can use for power that as soon as the ignition key is on the lights come on. They are always on, but no power draw at all. So now if dark out you can see where the gear shift levers are and what gear they are in.
Ok this is the last. I also went on amazon and found a 3200 lumen led off road head light which I highly recommend as the oem headlights are junk. The lights are 4 inch rectangular 30 degree flood I think and about 35 bucks. A back lit toggle switch is about 12 bucks and wire harness.
Took a lot of time to figure how to take things apart, route wires for the lights, but the results are worth it and saved $700 over using JD Hella lights.
Adding small led red, tail lights next.
Overall a pretty good machine, but don't have much space to us it to really have fun with it.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Belt still slipping..

hey guys, I took my 590i back to dealership again for the belt slipping issues, they had if for a day and said they couldn't determine what was causing it to slip. So, I read in a message somewhere here on the forum that there is a drain hole at the bottom of the CVT case.... well I found that, and it does not have a plug or anything for that matter cover that hole. Is it suppose to be left open for venting, or is that why I could be having water issues????

Oh, and the dealership did make adjust on belt tensioner and now machine is jerky and jumpy in low range... how do I adjust it back to were it was originally....

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Relook

After you made your first post about slipping drive belt, I removed the cover on mine (2016 590i) to see how it worked and to clean the dust out, of which there was plenty. The drive belt is activated by the clutch moving two convex plates together, basically squeezing the drive belt between them. The belt is very loose when clutch is not spinning and there is no tensioner to adjust. There is what appeared to be a drain plug, but I did not remove it. If your only slips when wet, then I would definitely put a plug in the drain hole. If it slips all the time, you probably have a clutch problem. Hope this helps a little.

·
Super Moderator
3,367 Posts
It sounds like the clutch may need some work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
thanks for the info, I will definitely put something over that drain plug hole... I must have lost it at some time, cuz when I was outwest Elk hunting last November, I was crossing multiple streams / small rivers daily and never had any issues with water.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I blow mine out after every two or three uses with an air compressor. Lots of dust boils out, but after removing the cover and seeing how much dust was caked on the clutch components, I am going to remove it and clean the inside thoroughly every couple of months. Not hard to remove. Remove the air intake hose and 10 little bolts and it's off.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts