John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase one of these two Gators for my 15-acre homestead. Already have a 3038E tractor and plenty of gas-burning equipment, so I've got both fuels on site. I'm more concerned about reliability and cost of ownership than I am about top speed or engine noise. Will be using it mostly to haul equipment and people around the property - chain saws, animal feed, picnic gear, etc. Don't have plans to drive it on the road.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a xuv865m and love it. Only had it about 8 months, 150hrs no problems. It will go 35 on a flat road, which is plenty fast for me. Use it on the farm, does everything I need it to do. Easy on fuel also. I have no experience with the xuv835 so can't compare the two. I would buy it again.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I'm happy with the diesel in my 855D. Yanmar has been making robust diesel engines for some time now.

Reactions: Bradhill

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have both the 855D Turbo and an 865R. Both are the same behind the rear glass. The 3 cylinder Yanmar has been around for a long time and is the same thing put into the JD 1025R type compact tractors. The gas versions are more than twice the HP. I purposely avoided gas as I'm not a speed hound and prefered several attributes of the diesel. First the fuel MPG is higher. Second, a lot of my work in the pasture is move/stop/repeat. That means idling which the diesel is quite comfortable at. I'm likely going to turbo the 865R because of the extra boost up the hills under load, especially when wanting to run the AC as well. The 10+ gallon fuel tank is twice that of the 855D and really suits a full day running with lots of miles without needing a refill. I don't know how long the gas version run. I think the 835s use the same engine that the 825i runs which would be a Chinese Chery product. They seem reliable too. I will say if your winters are very cold, the block/oil heater on the diesel is a must if you park outside. We get cold ones here and I really appreciate the R version cab and heater. The Yanmar is made in Japan.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have an 865r, and if your not concerned with speed, then I will take the diesel any day. The gas ones rev at a higher rpm to get moving, and the little diesel just putts along.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the 835M. I have about 400 miles on it so far. If you are getting the enclosed cab, the diesel is going to be louder inside. On flat ground I may have hit 45mph once, but unloaded and perfect conditions. I generally only drive around in low range, hauling wood, pulling stuff, working etc. but it does get used as a trail rig too. I kinda wish I would have gotten the diesel but with a huge price difference I wasn’t sure it was worth it, plus my dealer told me they were many many months out due to being a custom order.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Diesel louder inside cab? Have you experienced both?.. Just asking as other past members didn't like the high RPM's of the gas motor and the noise it makes. The diesel runs at less than half the RPM's and isn't too bad w/o the cab.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Diesel engines are inherently louder than gas engines due to the way they burn fuel, higher compression etc. I don’t have experience with the 865 but I’ve owned a diesel kawasaki mule for awhile and own other diesel powered equipment and trucks.

The new kawasaki Mules are also using the same 3 cylinder gas powered engine. It’s made by Chery, a Chinese company that builds automobile engines and cars in China, but they are quality built. Most modern 4 strokes in atvs side by sides are higher revving to make more use out of the engines powerband and get the most power out of the cvt system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts