John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First post here. I just picked up a 2002 Gator 4x2. I'm wondering what the actual towing capacity of the gator is. I see the manual says 900lbs. I have a 5x8 dump trailer that weighs 1400lb empty. I'm wondering if the gator would be able to pull the trailer a very short distance on relatively flat ground. Would it damage the transmission do you think?

Just wondering because I park my trailer behind my house and it's difficult to get my truck to it. Would be nice to pull it with the gator onto the driveway and then just hook it up to my truck.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,258 Posts
How short is the distance and what is relatively flat ground ? Are you talking about 50 feet and a grassy yard?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How short is the distance and what is relatively flat ground ? Are you talking about 50 feet and a grassy yard?
That's pretty much exactly what i'm looking at. My garage is 30 deep. The trailer is just behind the garage. So 50 feet is a good estimate and yes, grassy yard to the driveway.

·
Super Moderator
3,258 Posts
Obviously the easier the tires on trailer roll the less strain on the gator.
I would give it a try, although the trailer is clearly over the recommended towing capacity.
Listen to the gator, try to keep the trailer as straight as possible when maneuvering around the garage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
how much weight can it tow? i have to tow something from one place to another i do it every day so should i buy this Atv or to buy any cheap jeep for this? right now i am using a towing roadside assistance nyc. which is very costly for everyday use.

·
Super Moderator
3,258 Posts
how much weight can it tow? i have to tow something from one place to another i do it every day so should i buy this Atv or to buy any cheap jeep for this? right now i am using a towing roadside assistance nyc. which is very costly for everyday use.

What are you towing? And what is the distance?

·
Registered
6 Posts
You might have clutch issues later down the road. It all depends on if the trailer is single axle or tandem. Tandem will make your gator work much harder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts