John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amazon offers a 12v 50w led bulb that is less then 1/2 the price of the John Deere offering.
Does anyone know if this bulb is a plug and play option for the 825i Gator.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Those don’t work. But I called Alla and they say these do. Less then $20

[
IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200204/84fa7972820860c2bba6f91a05ac3920.jpg[/IMG]

·
Registered
765 Posts
Maybe you can provide before and after pictures taken from the driver's seat to see the difference. It would also be helpful if you measured the actual current draw of each bulb to see how they compare to stock as the advertised ratings are typically optimistic.

We'll be waiting for pictures and electrical load.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Standard 8xx filament bulbs run around 800-1000 lumens. Most direct plug in LEDs range from that to 4000 lumens. That's why you see them as driving/fog lamp replacement and not headlight replacements. The LED headlights range in the 5000-10,000 lumen range but require external cooling. For UTV use, I stayed away from any fan driven unit knowing they'd clog. The passive flat wire fabric cooling works OK for me but these tend to fail about every two years. I get nowhere near the purported lifespan. It is nice to see the LEDs have increased their output without requiring external cooling. They look like a great fit for my tractor work lights, hence I'll give them a try. I don't know the specs on the JD stock high/low on my 865R, but they are much better than the standard 8xx stuff. The high beam is impressive and doesn't need external cooling.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
image-2020-02-06-10:05:00-684.jpg

The Alla fog/driving light bulb is a plug & play replacement led option.
It seems to generate more of a flood light pattern then the standard bulb.
It’s a great compliment to the other led style lights on my 825i S4.
Only $20 (Prime) from Amazon

·
Registered
69 Posts
I ordered the Alla bulbs for my 825i and they came yesterday. I haven't gotten around to putting them in yet. I sure hope I got the right ones!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am interested in replacing the stock JD OEM bulbs in a 625I Gator with LED plug in bulbs as the original headlights are nearly useless for pre dawn/post sunset hunting applications on wood trails. My owners manual lists the OEM bulb as: AM137719. I tried calling the Alla customer service people who were notably unhelpful...said they could not find a cross fit reference to the JD bulb. Is the 625i wiring identical to the 825???? Captaineddie...look forward to a report of your experience with the replacement bulbs.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Shink4. LED replacement bulbs may provide increase in light, but they will not compare to adding additional LED lamps. You'll be amazed at the light output of the cheap 18, 27 and 36 watt lights sold on amazon and elsewhere. Do NOT believe the claimed wattage ratings or lumen ratings posted in the description. They are not accurate and based on theoretical max for the led element. Problem is they do not drive the led elements at 100% because of heat dissipation issues. I've measured a number of these lights and they are never close to their claims. They are still bright and 10x better than the stock lights though.

If you happen to buy the "50 watt" replacement bulb, please measure the current draw and report back?

Examples of the cheap lights mentioned above.
18 Watt flood light
27 Watt flood light
36 Watt flood light

I actually made a wiring harness that plugs into the headlight wiring, but powers lights mounted on the brush rack. This way the stock headlight switch turns the LED lights on and if there is ever a problem, the wiring harness can be plugged back into the stock headlights.

Also found forward and rearward facing lamps mounted to upper cage come in handy.

·
Registered
156 Posts
200MPH...thanks for the insight. I am not mechanically inclined and am hesitant to simply charge off with a LED bulb and end up with a fried wiring system. I do have a pair of the JD medium driving lights mounted in the front/roof position and they do certainly help in my dark driving conditions but at the price of looking like a sunrise coming through the woods. Am searching for an improved light patter at the front bumper level that is better than the OEM headlights but does not overwhelm the trail illumination issue.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Shink4, Fully understand your desire.(y)

The modification mentioned above did not involve modifying the stock JD wiring in any way, if that eases your mind any. The details were captured in the link below if interested and the 18 watt lights used may yield what you desire with respect to light improvement without being overbearing.

Basically wired the LED lights to a H11 headlight extender. Disconnected the wiring from stock headlight and plugged it into the new H11 headlight extender. Very simple, but agree not as simple as replacing the bulb. :)

Please note: I have a 855D and other models may use a different headlight bulb format.

LED Bumper Lights Plugged into Stock Headlights

Note: I believe the link mention in the referenced post is dead. The H11 wiring harness looked something like this. H8 H11 Headlight Extension Harness

Let us know what you use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts