John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 550 S4. XUV that runs and idles great and even accelerates great at a idle. When you put it in gear it will crawl and low speeds. When you accelerate after you put it in gear it kills the engine. It looks like a clutch to me any ideas

·
Super Moderator
3,425 Posts
I have a 550 S4. XUV that runs and idles great and even accelerates great at a idle. When you put it in gear it will crawl and low speeds. When you accelerate after you put it in gear it kills the engine. It looks like a clutch to me any ideas
Have you checked the CVT belt ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that the drive belt? Hate to ask a stupid question but this is driving me nuts. It just runs and idles way to good . And you can put it in gear and crawl around real slow but if you accelerate at all it dies out.

·
Super Moderator
3,425 Posts
Is that the drive belt? Hate to ask a stupid question but this is driving me nuts. It just runs and idles way to good . And you can put it in gear and crawl around real slow but if you accelerate at all it dies out.
Yes,

·
Registered
813 Posts
The Gator uses a belt and variable pulley system to connect the engine and transmission. There is a primary clutch on the engine. It is operated by centrifugal force. As the engine rpm's increase the sides of the clutch/pulley come together to grab the belt. When the engine is at idle it opens completely allowing the belt to go loose and no power is transmitted.
In the rear is the secondary clutch which is attached to the input shaft of the transmission. It's side plates are normally close together forcing the belt to be near the top. As you drive and more torque is applied the sides of the clutch get forced apart against spring tension.

Those two clutches form a constantly variable transmission. If the clutches don't operate properly it can bog the engine down. Sort of like driving slow in a car in 1st gear and suddenly dropping it into 5th.

Will you be fixing this yourself or taking it to the dealer?

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is an interlock switch on the emergency (parking) brake. If the brake is on or the switch is defective, it might cause that kind of problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a similar problem I ended up pulling the bowl off the carburetor pulled the jet out cleaned all the gunk out of it and it ran fine one test you might do is pull the choke out and try it and if it runs fine it’s more likely your carburetor

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is an interlock switch on the emergency (parking) brake. If the brake is on or the switch is defective, it might cause that kind of problem.
Thank you all for your reply! The switch on the emergency brake was bad and took care of the problem! Thanks again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts