John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new 2022 560e 18 miles on it , just started falling out and blowing white oil smoke out exhaust like a chimney when at about 22 mph or more , does it for a minute and then runs fine , seems like fouling out is loss power because maybe oil dumping in cylinder ,thats a guess , but what would cause that ?, starts right up no choke needed idle seems rich but it is new , oil level perfect , air cooled motor on 560e ,new machine under warranty ,but looking for a good answer so i don't get ripped by local dealer ,, also never seen water or mud just use to go get the mail and ride the dog on the property , ANY THOUGHTS

· Registered
2,936 Posts
Some thoughts as requested.

Since it sounds like when first starting up after sitting for a while... Could be a bad or missing oil valve seal(s). Oil drips down valve stem and into combustion chamber and takes a bit of time to burn off.

If it's under warranty, you shouldn't get ripped off. However, they may tell you it's normal. Normal doesn't mean it's designed that way or should be operating that way. Demand that it is fixed.

While it is still smoking, stop and analyze spark plugs. Maybe one isn't firing correctly or getting too much fuel in that chamber.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some thoughts as requested.

Since it sounds like when first starting up after sitting for a while... Could be a bad or missing oil valve seal(s). Oil drips down valve stem and into combustion chamber and takes a bit of time to burn off.

If it's under warranty, you shouldn't get ripped off. However, they may tell you it's normal. Normal doesn't mean it's designed that way or should be operating that way. Demand that it is fixed.

While it is still smoking, stop and analyze spark plugs. Maybe one isn't firing correctly or getting too much fuel in that chamber.
Thanks i believe your right, bad oil seal in valve train , even though it only has 19 hrs and 4 months old could have been bad from factory , just noticed oil smells of gas not good , probably intake valve seal left over fuel going in motor , dip stick over full now , goin to john Deere Monday ,i will post what they find i just wanted a opinion outside in case they come back with something senseless / also forgot to say seems to be running rich at star up and stumbles and smokes after hot ,,does it in spirts almost like pouring oil in the exhaust once in a while ..thank you

· Registered
2,936 Posts
Extra fuel getting into cylinder and into oil is not good for the rings and long life. It’s referred to cylinder wash and is detrimental to ring sealing.
If under warranty I’d be making them do a leak-down test to prove no damage. (Not a compression test)

JD has had a history of over rich/flooding conditions for many years and simply blames it on the customer instead of actually fixing. There is no reason for it to run this rich or flood fuel into the oil except for poor engineering.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you , i will tell them leak down , i had a 4 stroke mercury out board do almost same thing , it eventually blew power head , i dont want that down the road when out of warranty , i appreciate the feedback , thanks

· Registered
15 Posts
I just got a new delivery of a 560e last week. This is at work, it will be my cart for golf maintenance work.

These engines are a little finikey in cold weather. I have a lot of experience with them as turf equipment professional.

Mine was overfilled and smelled a bit of fuel upon delivery. I dropped the oil and refilled to half way between the marks.

These engines are air cooled. When run in cold/cool weather it takes a lot of work to get up to proper operation temp.

Short trips where the engine isn't doing much hard work and not getting fully up to temp will lead to water from condensation in your crank case and in a lot of instances fuel from rich combustion conditions/over choking.

Keep a close eye on your oil level in cold weather, if it rises a bit, you are going to have some problems. With how little oil is in these crankcases (a lil over a quart) change the oil if you are doubting its condition.

In your situation I would suggest an oil change and some form of fuel treatment to help keep that carb clean. Watch the oil level and avoid short trips.

In warm weather these engines run like tops and need very little. In cold/cool weather they need a bit of care in how they are operated and more frequent checks.

Hope that helps.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got a new delivery of a 560e last week. This is at work, it will be my cart for golf maintenance work.

These engines are a little finikey in cold weather. I have a lot of experience with them as turf equipment professional.

Mine was overfilled and smelled a bit of fuel upon delivery. I dropped the oil and refilled to half way between the marks.

These engines are air cooled. When run in cold/cool weather it takes a lot of work to get up to proper operation temp.

Short trips where the engine isn't doing much hard work and not getting fully up to temp will lead to water from condensation in your crank case and in a lot of instances fuel from rich combustion conditions/over choking.

Keep a close eye on your oil level in cold weather, if it rises a bit, you are going to have some problems. With how little oil is in these crankcases (a lil over a quart) change the oil if you are doubting its condition.

In your situation I would suggest an oil change and some form of fuel treatment to help keep that carb clean. Watch the oil level and avoid short trips.

In warm weather these engines run like tops and need very little. In cold/cool weather they need a bit of care in how they are operated and more frequent checks.

Hope that helps.
john Deere picked up today . its a 4/22 new 560 e .seems to be rough idle and getting gas in oil it started blowing oil smoke thru the exults maybe from oil level getting to hi it has 19 hrs and never seen nothing but ridding dog around the yard licking up some tree limbs checking out fence and a trip to the neighbors ,It always seems to eat gas also they will let me know in a few days what problem is but seems to be a issue with unburned gas washing down intake , i told them to do a leak down test as well as compression [ recommended by 200mph on forum , i just don't want more problems down the road ,,i live in Florida and its pretty warm here most of time , it always starts up first turn with no help from choke , will post update when find out what they find , thanks

· Registered
15 Posts
What’s happening is a sticky needle valve in your carb. If you are not putting much use on the engine the gas in the carb gets bad pretty quick. That’s my experience. I have seen these engines siphon quarts of gas into the crankcase when that valve sticks open. Nothing a quick oil change and fuel treatment won’t solve.

· Registered
2,936 Posts
If it is a float system issue I’d adjust float level a bit lower in the bowl. If a bit of extra fuel leak in it would cause the float to exert more force on the needle and seat. Of course start with. New needle and seat. Also make certain the float hasn’t gained weight by fuel getting inside or just permeating the material ( plastic floats).
Another option would be to wire in a normally closed solenoid in fuel line near carb to reduce chance of fuel from draining into engine when parked. (Or mechanical fuel shutoff valve)

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tech called today and did not find major issue , but said oil was high on stick and it did smoke when driving and had harsh gas smell when idling , said comp test perfect , i ask if he did a leak down and said he had not yet , but was going to monday , he agreed smoke and raw gas smell was not normal , he is changing oil and looking more into it monday ,, so we shall see ,, i will let ya know ,,

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ya guys were correct when you said bad carb , hard to believe 20 hrs on gator and this would happen but it is what it is ,, so they put a new one on changed oil did a leak down test and ran for a hour no more leaching in oil and no raw gas smell and all is good ,will be picking up tomorrow and see how it holds up , tech says maybe just something wrong he could not find anything visually ,maybe defective , but we shall see ,, thanks guys

· Registered
2,936 Posts
Glad it appears to be fixed and thanks for reporting the resolution.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts