John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. I am new to the forum but was hoping somewhere somebody has seen this issue with a 590i gator before. I bought it new and it is garage kept, have not had any problems until now. It seems the fuel gauge is showing empty when I have about 3/4 tank of gas. I am wondering if this is issues with the sending unit and if so has anyone replaced theirs?
This problem is pretty consistent but on occasion it will start to register a fuel level. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Steve

·
Super Moderator
3,046 Posts
This sure sounds like a faulty sending unit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
590i fuel sending unit

I had the same problem with my 590i (2016). After testing and getting inconsistent readings and even contacting ISSPRO (the manufacturer) I bit the bullet and bought a new one. The new one has worked fine. Just for grins I removed the potting tar on the old sending unit and did testing and it works fine. JD knew there was a problem with some of these with connections to the unit not being soldered. Service rep showed me the bulletin. I guess it was not a big enough problem for a recall. Other than that the machine has been pretty solid.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I had the same problem with my 590i (2016). After testing and getting inconsistent readings and even contacting ISSPRO (the manufacturer) I bit the bullet and bought a new one. The new one has worked fine. Just for grins I removed the potting tar on the old sending unit and did testing and it works fine. JD knew there was a problem with some of these with connections to the unit not being soldered. Service rep showed me the bulletin. I guess it was not a big enough problem for a recall. Other than that the machine has been pretty solid.
Unless it is a safety problem they do not have to issue a recall. If JD was more customer centric and actually cared about quality and their customer, they would fix or at a minimum issue the part at cost.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eagle4,
Thanks for the feedback. I am assuming you did the work yourself? I plan to fix this myself as my unit is out of its warranty period. I had an issue with the winch and they wouldn't cover its I don't think I will be bringing the unit back for any service at my local dealer. Where is the sending unit located? I would think it is on top of the tank, under the seat and a few covers. I plan to get into it as soon as the hunting season is over. Happy Holidays.
Steve

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
It looks to cost around $143.50 from one of the on line suppliers.

What makes you think the new one will last any longer than the old?

·
Registered
11 Posts
The sending unit is located on the top of the gas tank to the right of the the fuel pump. Remove cover under seat (about 5 or six screws) unplug electrical connection (2 wire), remove vent hose, unscrew large nut, pull out sending unit and replace with new unit. Part #AM146529 This is a very easy part replacement just frustrating that something so simple would go bad and cost so much to replace.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings. I am new to the forum but was hoping somewhere somebody has seen this issue with a 590i gator before. I bought it new and it is garage kept, have not had any problems until now. It seems the fuel gauge is showing empty when I have about 3/4 tank of gas. I am wondering if this is issues with the sending unit and if so has anyone replaced theirs?
This problem is pretty consistent but on occasion it will start to register a fuel level. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Steve
I bought a 2018 and have the same problem now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OwlsNest Lodge, I bit the bullet and bought a new sending unit and installed it in about 20 minutes. The sending unit is just under the drivers seat and is fairly easy to access. You will need to remove a cover to access the fuel tank and the sending unit. There are 2 large connectors just under the seat. One of them you will see two large fuel lines this one is the fuel pump. The other one has some smaller connectors and has a spin on type connector, this is the sending unit. Fairly straight forward and didn't see anything tricky or needing speciality tools. Once I installed the new unit it has been working fine ever since, Aprox 6 months now. If you need additional assistance let me know.
Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks, Steve
Hello, I have a 590M. 10 hours and the fuel gauge quit. I pulled the sensor out and Used a dermal on the top epoxy to get at the connectors. There are two brass nuts on two posts with ring terminals for the red and black wires. Apparently the crimp job was bad on a lot of these. I just resoldered the connections and it works great. Saved 150 bucks. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Thanks for posting your solution along with pictures to clarify the fix.

Did you put any epoxy or potting material afterwards? If so, what did you use?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts