John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Gator 590i has about 80 hours on it and the parking break completely failed causing my gator to go over a 40’ bank almost straight down. This unfortunately happened on my 8 year olds first hunting trip about 15 after shooting his first buck. Got the gator home and took it to my local shop to find out that the bolt that holds the break plate on the shaft had complete backed out and cause the disk to drop off Which causes the buggy to move even if the break is engaged. I posted some pictures on another post that has not shown up yet and you can see on the diagram that the bolt sits against a washer and the washer was broke and cause the bolt to back off. The brake felt normal when you compressed it inside the buggy and it compressed the disk but the disk was not sitting properly on the axel so in turn no parking brake.
Has ANYONE else had an issue with this bolt coming loose, I feel this is a huge safety problem that John Deere should take care of. The frame on my gator is complete trash because the gator hit a tree on the way over the bank after running myself over. Please let me know if anyone has heard or have experienced this issue yourself. This is VERY Dangerous and I am sooo lucky my 8 year old was out of it when it went over the bank.

·
Registered
715 Posts
There have been a lot of broken parking brake cables but the attachment bolt for the disk is one I've never heard of before. Because of the parking brake cable issues I don't rely on the parking brake. I try to park it where it won't roll and if I do have to leave it on a hill I chock a wheel and/or turn the steering all the way so if the brake doesn't hold it will turn uphill.

·
Registered
768 Posts
If you feel this is a huge safety issue, posting here will not help in getting this resolved or brought to the appropriate personnel with the clout to force action.

Do appreciate the heads up to be on the lookout though.

If you feel that strongly about the issue, the consumer must take action my filing a complaint with the appropriate agencies. Think NHTSA, state consumer protection group, John Deere corporate office, etc. Most times people complain about safety issues, but less than 10% take the time to document with appropriate agency. From the company’s standpoint it looks like only a few isolated incidents and nothing to be alarmed at.

Don’t expect someone to read this and take action for you.

Will you be the one to take action?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t think you should have to chuck your wheels to make sure you buggy don’t go down a hill. Mine was on a VERY SLIGHT decline in the woods.

I should have a call back next week to see what John Deere is going to do about it even with it being out of warranty. They know about everything that happened and the dealer is on my side about it.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Good luck and anxious to hear how they resolve your issue.

I'm guessing they will contribute something towards the repair (discount or free part and maybe partial on labor) without stating it is a design or safety issue. They'll hope that this is an isolated incidence and will claim they have no other similar reports. Big companies are very good in communicating without exposing themselves for any liabilities. Also don't expect them to make a design change as that is like claiming there is a design flaw. Generally other owners will not request action and simply learn to live with it or will buy replacement parts. All of which benefits JD's bottom line.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I got good news today....Deere is giving me a brand new gator. They are actually sending mine back to Deere per. their request to send it to some safety department so they can inspect the damage themselves I suppose. They even upgraded me to a Dark Green color and replace a lot of my OPS cab parts to boot. I can say that with this buggy being out of warranty, if my local Deere Dealer was not on my side about a safety issue this would not have happened. To me this parking break issue should be a recall or at least a part that needs to be inspected. I was told from the dealer that if the washer that sits against the disk that holds the break up on the shaft gets too tight it breaks and supposedly allows the nut to back off the shaft and drops the brake disk off and you will never know it until it’s too late.

·
Super Moderator
2,661 Posts
Good news!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice! Mine randomly will not grab and it takes a few kicks to get the Parking brake to actually grab. Was yours doing this?

·
Registered
768 Posts
I can say that with this buggy being out of warranty, if my local Deere Dealer was not on my side about a safety issue this would not have happened.
This speaks volumes of John Deere's lack of quality and safety culture within the organization. It shouldn't be this way. Product liability extends past the warranty period, so one would think they would be a bit more concerned with a parking brake that fails.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would have to agree on that. I just hope when it actually goes back to Deere they give the dealer some feedback so they can call me. I might however be over expecting lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice! Mine randomly will not grab and it takes a few kicks to get the Parking brake to actually grab. Was yours doing this?
Mine always grabbed the actual disc but the disc was off the shaft so it never had breaks. Your sounds like a actual mechanical issue and I would raise a stink at Deere and tell them to fix it. With all these issues about the break on this machine they should do something about it. If I don’t hear back about my machine and the possible safety recall they SHOULD put out for this machine I will probably contact them. However my incident could be very isolated and they may not have Had many problems. I do know that the rep that talked to my deal said they have had some instances but not sure why they didn’t put out a recall on it when the dust cover problem only had two instances and they did a recall on that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts