John Deere Gator Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello… new member here but I have searched diligently prior to posting.

I have a 2016 camo XUV 590i with black roof and factory full windshield.

Other than this,

I can’t seem to find any thing on the interwebz for a LED light bar solution.

I would lIke to put a rounded light bar across the top of my top but doesn’t seem like there is an OEM or “exact fit” for a mounting bracket.

I chased Alice down the website and YouTube rabbit holes but can’t seem to find anything. Lots of “custom“ fabricated or bar clamp options but I am looking for someone who can walk the dog a little for me.

I also know I’ll need to get the John Deere wiring harness / and I don’t want it on the hot wire - I want it keyed.

Might also want to add some backup/utility/work lights in facing aft but for now concentrating on a forward facing light bar. I have room for 3 rocker switches, I was thinking one for forward top mounted light bar and one for rear facing reverse/work lights.

if anyone can provide me some links or walk the dog a bit I’d really appreciate it.

thanks.

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Grille

Automotive parking light Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Vehicle Car Steering part Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was going to mount my switches there, but I found keyed power in the harness that runs the wiper. The original plan was to use a couple relays and get power right off the battery. I'd put a set of lighted switches in the dash and route the wires up the side, or inside, of the cage to the lights.

I didn't go with a light bar. That's are way more than I wanted to spend on lights. The small ones I have on the front are plenty bright, and have LEDs that also shine to the side. The rear lights are something I had laying around. To mount the front lights i drilled holes in the roof and used a rubber washer under a 2" washer to secure them. The wires run between the gasket at the roof and windshield. Not as clean as I wanted but they are sturdy.

Mother Deere wants $90 for a harness, and a few hundred for the lights. Thats insane. I didn't use the wire harness I purchased and have less than $50 in my light setup.

Here are links to what I used.

Nilight 10014W LED Light Bar... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074GWMRGD?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

BUNKER INDUST Side Shooter LED... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P395SD4?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

SPOT LIGHTS Rocker Switch 5Pin Laser On/Off Blue LED Light 20A/12V 10A/24V Toggle Switch With jumper wires set for Automotive Boat Marine Truck Jeep Off-Road Bus RV … https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DLV957...abc_73VTVZAZ9A76SVC50S22?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

REAR LIGHTS Rocker Switch 5Pin... Amazon.com

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for the links and the pics… definitely a different option than a light bar. Your install looks clean and I don’t have any worries or concerns about drilling a hole through the top.

I am just curious if there’s a mounting solution near the pillars (my first pic in my post) if I wanted to have a light bar that spanned the entire top. Perhaps I don’t need that … maybe your solution would work for me?

concur that the harness is pricey, but everything with Deere stamped on it usually is.

I do not have a windshield wiper on my Gator so I’ll probably stick to my original switch location.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. Just scratching my head that there isn’t a manufacturer out there that has a one stop solution that will “fit” the 590i. Seems like all the pics I have been able to find are custom fabricated installs. Not against that at all… just surprised one hasn’t been designed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Other than the JD stuff, I wasn't able to find anything aftermarket for the 590.

Now that I think about it, I remember seeing universal roll bar mounts when I had my rzr. I'm sure a set of those and a bit of fab work to make a bracket would yield a sturdy mount for a light bar.

Maybe in the future I'll do that, if I run into a deal on a suitable light bar. Right now I'm looking at a glass rear sliding window and canvas doors. Of course, only avaliable from deere for around 2k total.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a similar set up as Archerace. Nilight has a good product, and a better price. I've got a pair of lights on the front, top of my RSX, and used their wiring harness and switch also. Very happy with this set up so far.

·
Registered
50 Posts
May not be useful to you but I bought an aftermarket light bar and had a buddy (who owns a metal fab shop) make me a bar that mounted thru the factory roof attachment holes. Got some longer stainless screws to attach the bar and attached the light to bar to it. It is switched, but not run thru the ignition. Happy to post pics of it helps. Only solution I could find for a reasonable price. Helps to have friends that owe you favors too!

·
Administrator
4,030 Posts
May not be useful to you but I bought an aftermarket light bar and had a buddy (who owns a metal fab shop) make me a bar that mounted thru the factory roof attachment holes. Got some longer stainless screws to attach the bar and attached the light to bar to it. It is switched, but not run thru the ignition. Happy to post pics of it helps. Only solution I could find for a reasonable price. Helps to have friends that owe you favors too!
Photos are always welcome!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here you go! This is on a 625i, so may not apply to everyone. I bought some aluminum rectangle tubing from my local metal supply and cut it down to length. I had two pieces of the aluminum welded onto the bottom of the bar (for roof clearance) to line up with the factory mounting holes in the plastic roof. I bought some longer stainless screws and some large washers and bolted thru the aluminum bar and thru the straps that attach the roof to the roll cage. Mounted an aftermarket led bar, ran the wiring down the passengers side of the roll cage and attached it to a jd rocker switch in the dash. It is not controlled by the ignition, but I prefer that set up as I can use the light when the gator is off ( my kids can also turn on the lights and leave them on and kill the battery!). Not overly complicated but plenty strong and far cheaper than other custom or factory options I could find. I didn’t have to drill and holes, so it can be taken off and the machine will be back to way it started. Two points of caution - the increase in height made it so that machine will no longer go in my garage (fits on the barn fine though) and I ended up changing out the roll bar strap clamps for a more heavy duty one that jd uses to hold on the windshield. Hope that’s clear as mud. Let me know if anyone needs any clarification.

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,030 Posts
Here you go! This is on a 625i, so may not apply to everyone. I bought some aluminum rectangle tubing from my local metal supply and cut it down to length. I had two pieces of the aluminum welded onto the bottom of the bar (for roof clearance) to line up with the factory mounting holes in the plastic roof. I bought some longer stainless screws and some large washers and bolted thru the aluminum bar and thru the straps that attach the roof to the roll cage. Mounted an aftermarket led bar, ran the wiring down the passengers side of the roll cage and attached it to a jd rocker switch in the dash. It is not controlled by the ignition, but I prefer that set up as I can use the light when the gator is off ( my kids can also turn on the lights and leave them on and kill the battery!). Not overly complicated but plenty strong and far cheaper than other custom or factory options I could find. I didn’t have to drill and holes, so it can be taken off and the machine will be back to way it started. Two points of caution - the increase in height made it so that machine will no longer go in my garage (fits on the barn fine though) and I ended up changing out the roll bar strap clamps for a more heavy duty one that jd uses to hold on the windshield. Hope that’s clear as mud. Let me know if anyone needs any clarification.
Thank you for sharing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts