John Deere Gator Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello....new to forum...new to owning a John Deere xuv590i s4 gator. Just purchased a 2016 590i s4 from a guy and was of course told by him that he experienced no problems with the unit...just selling it because he wants to get a Jeep instead...this was his second Gator and he had nothing but praise for both of them. (Then again, he was the one selling and I was the one buying!) Anyway, the gator runs great...until it gets warmed up and after about 15 -20 minutes of cruising around at various (all high gear,so far) speeds, the units starts to sputter and lose mph and to get things rolling again, one needs to press the gas peddle. No lights are coming on at all...it just starts running with spits and sputter. Park it and let things cool down, take it for another spin and the same thing happens....any thoughts out there as to what my problem may be? Once again, it runs real nice...until its been running for a while.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
got a little over 200 miles...about 3600 miles on it....got a fuel filter coming...I've changed the plugs also...got an air filter on the way also....oxygen sensor dirty maybe?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah but the running really good until the engine gets really warm (like 15 -20 minutes) it starts the acting up....fuel filter and air filter should be here early next week...like I say, it purrs like a kitty...then at the same type of time frame when running, it sputters and bogs down big time, until the gas is given to it...one thing is that it has never stalled...never. By the way, i meant to say 200 hrs in the previous post.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
That is how a fuel filter can act,runs fine for a bit then craps out. Air filter is not the issue, if that fair filter was that bad it would not run for 15 min then get nasty it would do it all the time. Fresh fuel and filter see what happens.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey ....my son and I took the cargo box off and the storage insert that's over the radiator and removed the back seat and the cover plate for the spark plugs and decided to take a long cruise....ran perfectly for almost and hour and a half...no rough running....none!...we then put the cargo box back on and put the storage insert back on along with spark plug cover plate and the rear seat....and wouldn't you know it...? ....the same thing happened with the rough running after about 20 minutes. Just like it's been doing.... Things are getting too hot and the gator engine apparently doesn't like that! I'm gonna try again tomorrow with the over the radiator insert box removed and see what happens then....like I said, it ran like it was supposed to when things were exposed to the air...it was about 85 here today, also. Any thoughts on how to address this situation? Thermostat? Water Pump? Oxygen Sensor? I'll be giving the Deere dealer in our area a call Monday with the story I got...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Forgot to mention that we let the engine cool down for a couple of hours before taking off again...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FYI folks....just got back from a cruise with the JohnD...took the storage box that goes over the radiator off before taking off...I put the rear seat back in and left the cargo box on. Took the exact same route my son and I took last night plus I added another 15-20 minutes on top of that....it ran just fine....no coughs, spits or sputter....could go from 5mph to 40 and back down again with intervals in between of various speeds without any of the previous symptons....anybody else out there remove the under hood storage box to address this situation? I'm thinking the machine was telling me "hey...I'm too hot...let me breath a little bit!" Anyway, what I did seems to have worked...gonna try again to verify these results...will let ya'll know how it goes from there! I can live without the extra storage under the hood if need be or maybe think about modifying the storage unit so it will allow more heat escape from the radiator...We'll see....not gonna count chickies before they hatch!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can't really believe that it's a design flaw....probably a change of thermostat will do the trick...one thing for certain, it's a overheating problem....

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Does your fan come on?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yup it does...probably a thermostat faulty or something doing with a water temp/heat sensor/fan switch... No leaking underneath ...no water spots on the cement...kinda tells me that water pump is ok, but what the hell do i know?! Took it out again tonight and it ran just fine. I stopped to talk to a buddy and shut the machine off for about 5 minutes and when I started it back up, the sputtering began again and stayed that way until I parked it in the garage a short ride away, just a couple of minutes....funny it started with the coughing and sputtering again after shutting it off to converse with my friend while before that it was running like a dream for quite some time....plan on cruising to a John Deere dealer tomorrow and hopefully get some answer besides "bring it in and we'll do some diagnostics"...$150.00 per hour! We'll see what they have to say and I'll let ya'll know.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I’m wondering if you don’t have an ignition problem caused by the heat soak.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got me...this side by side stuff is all new to me....my buddy who has a polaris ranger put it this way...."these frickin machines sometime seem to have a mind of their own!" We'll get it figured out!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a 625I Gator that would give me fits with intermittent loss of power leading to a stall condition. Finally resoled by bleeding the coolant system that apparently developed an air bubble. Dont know how an air bubble would develop via simple addition of coolant to the overflow tank but that seemed to solve the problem....FWIW.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yep, I should probably try that...couldn't hurt anyway, just the hassle of course in doing it. The fact that is runs really good when I take out the storage box located over the radiator has got me wondering though. Also I haven't had issues with stalling at all. Makes me wonder if there is little brain in there somewhere telling me that "when you put that black over the radiator storage box on me you're trying to run me when I'm too hot and I just don't like it!" The air in the line just might contribute to that, i guess. Worth a try. Easier than changing a thermostat, eh? Now if I can get my son to do it for me that would be great! I blew a bit of dirt out of the radiator through the fan and there didn't seem to be that much dirt flying off the fins. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well hopefully an end to this new owner of a JDeere 590i being concerned about buying a problem child from a previous owner. Got the new air filter and fuel filter and put em in. No way did the guy I bought it from change either one of those things! I just got done cruising abouit 12 miles at 25-40mph and the JDeere ran really good. Hopefully it was that simple...Fuel and Air...Looks like all I had to do was be patient and wait for those 2 things to show up, put em in and go from there! Fingers crossed that my paranoia was needless! Looks like Saint Dan's original hunch was correct...I did put in new plugs, started running rec fuel and put some seafoam in the tank with it. Thanks for the input from all...(including my wife who preached being patient and was being driven crazy by me!) Thanks again fellas!

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
This is what the forums are about guys helping each other out, girls included too. Hope she runs good for ya jimD, i am waiting for my clutch to come back hope it works out in my favor too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts